Reporting to spamcop is too time consuming

Eisenbart

Actually I am totally confused now... It probably does not have to do with your FAQ, I drew the conclusion from information in other postings within this forum.

What boxes are you talking about? There are no boxes when I confirm spam, also the text printed in bold letters mentions them. Please take a look at the following screenshot to see what I see when I confirm spam:

37753[/snapback]

I think your account is set to "Mole" status, so no reports are actually sent, though I don't remember the screen being described as you show. Please confirm by going to the Preferences Tab, Report Handling Options link, spam Munging section and tell us which radio button is setected.

I am glad you got Quick Reporting working. Just trying to tie up the loose ends.

The radio button that is selected is labeled:

"Become a "mole" - Don't even send reports (mostly pointless)"

The text on the buttom of my screenshot is still confusing, however.

By the way, is there any disadvantage about being a "mole"? The way I understand things, being a mole means that the administrator of the originating server gets a complaint which only tells the number of emails reported as spam, but not the details, so the reporter cannot be identified. But why is that "mostly pointless"?

I already took a look at the FAQ, especially at the sections related to "Quick Reporting". I think I now understood everything described in there, although it was not always easy. Don has also given me some answers in response to my emails.

37776[/snapback]

Well, now you're asking about Mole Reporting...

Mole Reporting is Back, Kind of (?)

What is Mole Reporting? or here What is "mole" reporting?

By the way, is there any disadvantage about being a "mole"? The way I understand things, being a mole means that the administrator of the originating server gets a complaint which only tells the number of emails reported as spam, but not the details, so the reporter cannot be identified. But why is that "mostly pointless"?

37774[/snapback]

I think that is "mostly pointless" because most admins of systems that would get SpamCop Reports don't ask for the summaries that include the statistics from moles.

I think that is "mostly pointless" because most admins of systems that would get SpamCop Reports don't ask for the summaries that include the statistics from moles.

37784[/snapback]

...Also seems to make it harder for the admins to take action against the spam, for example:ISP account - how to get details of reports?.

Mole Reporting (vs. not Reporting) takes some time, but may help lessen your spam load slightly if you filter using the SCBL. I would only recommend Mole Reporting (vs. Munged Reporting or Unmunged Reporting) for the very paranoid. I switched from Munged Reporting to Unmunged Reporting quite some time ago (to stop being a hypocrite), and didn't notice an increase in my spam load, but did notice a marked decrease in my time spent per Report. Whether or not that change had any affect on the continual barrage of backscatter one of my monitored domains' catchall accounts receives is anyone's guess.

Archived