Legal Issues FAQ

Miss Betsy

Suggestion

There is no legal recourse against the use of SpamCop blocklist to reject email. Note that SpamCop does not block email; it publishes a list of IP addresses that have been reported as currently sending spam.

QUOTE(Jeff G. [at] Dec 12 2005, 08:40 PM)

.....please note that E-mail is generally not considered to be a "guaranteed delivery" mechanism.  In addition, server administrators may refuse incoming traffic for any reason, at least in the U.S. (47 USC 230).

SpamCop is a reporting tool for those who wish to tell server administrators that spam is being sent from that IP address or that a particular website is being advertised in unsolicited email. There is nothing illegal about reporting unsolicited email to the proper authorities.

Server administrators refer to legal threats by calling them 'cartooneys' and often react as in the following dialogue:

QUOTE(Merlyn [at] Dec 12 2005, 06:23 PM)

Poster:  "THIS IS UNACCCEPTABLE and ILLEGAL to monitor, block or do anything with my private correspondence."

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, are you a comedian? biggrin.gif

You are sending mail to servers that do not belong to you. People who run these servers can block anything they want. It is not illegal.

Poster:  "I am at this moment on the phone with xxxx's legal department discussing my options but want this addressed from spamcop ASAP."

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, better have them get me too because I am going to block you now because you are just too funny  biggrin.gif

Thanks for bringing a little fun in this dreary day  smile.gif

Also, please read these pages on the SpamCop Website,

How can I be de-listed? (Dispute Resolution). You will see that SpamCop makes every effort to correct any mistakes immediately. Please note that starting legal action will probably result in "delaying any action we might otherwise take."

Miss Betsy

Archived