"Unknown Date" with Webmail?

Any ideas why some messages show as received on "Unknown Date" when viewing through Webmail?

I've not noticed it on anything other than held mail, when I connect over imap using OS X's mail.app the received date shows up fine, as it seems to do in the headers:

Content-type: text/html

Delivered-To: spamcop-net-paul[at]spamcop.net

Received:

(qmail 977 invoked from network); 20 Dec 2005 17:26:10 -0000

from unknown (192.168.1.101) by blade1.cesmail.net with QMQP; 20 Dec 2005 17:26:10 -0000

from dqp3.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl (HELO mx.spamcop.net) (83.24.175.3) by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 20 Dec 2005 17:26:10 -0000

Return-Path: <ijqdmjxduxy[at]hotmail.com>

Subject: Get more women than there is water in the ocean with Ultra Allure Pheromones.

To: paul[at]spamcop.net

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.1.0 (2005-09-13) on blade1

X-spam-Level: *****************

X-spam-Status: hits=18.0 tests=FORGED_HOTMAIL_RCVD2,FROM_LOCAL_NOVOWEL, HTML_MESSAGE,HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG,INFO_TLD,J_CHICKENPOX_13, MIME_HEADER_CTYPE_ONLY,MIME_HTML_ONLY,SARE_BETTERSEX,URIBL_JP_SURBL, URIBL_OB_SURBL,URIBL_SBL,URIBL_SC_SURBL version=3.1.0

X-SpamCop-Checked:

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked SpamAssassin=17

Headers: Show Limited Headers

Any ideas?

cheers,

Paul

It would look like the sender has removed the DATE header which would mean the mail program would not be able to identify the sending date - even though this appears in other headers.

Probably a spammer attempting to circumvent the parser. But since the parser doesn't use the Date header (since this can be forged) you can still report this type of junk.

Andrew

i am also getting same problem :( . any solution plz?

38239[/snapback]

There is no solution because spamcop is trying to preserve the original spam as carefully as possible to help with reporting, so will not insert a Date: header where one does not exist. Some servers will insert a Date: header when one does not already exist. Some clients will use received line dates (or some other date from the message. SpamCop sticks to the rules that are out there (the RFC's) as closely as possible to work with the widest range of systems.

All popular legitimate email client software adds a Date Header Line before connecting with an SMTP Server. It is, therefore, fair to assume that any email message you receive without one is either spam or a malformed version of a message that was once legitimate. If I find such a message that is also without a From Header Line and a Subject Header Line, I will consider not Reporting it, especially if it doesn't have a body; otherwise, I will Report it.

• 2 months later...

I have noticed something similar - but it has to do with the text 'GMT' in the date field.

Since my recent upgrade to the latest version of Horde and Qmail - I have noticed that Email received with GMT in the datestamp does not show, and spamd reports the date as invalid - which of course causes some Emails to be reported as spam. Horde shows the date as 'Unknown Date', but if you remove the GMT from Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:48:37 +0000 GMT it shows fine.

How can I fix / change the settings to resolve this?

thanks,

Please see below a sample of an invalid date format.

Shows 'Unknown Date' in Horde

Return-Path: <user[at]rogers.blackberry.net>

Delivered-To: me[at]domain.com

Received: (qmail 85682 invoked by uid 399); 27 Feb 2006 21:51:46 -0000

X-Virus-Scan: Scanned by clamdmail 0.15 (no viruses);

Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:51:46 -0500

Received: from unknown (HELO smtp01.bis.na.blackberry.com) (216.9.248.48)

by 192.168.200.15 with SMTP; 27 Feb 2006 21:51:46 -0000

Received-SPF: none (192.168.200.15: domain at rogers.blackberry.net does not designate permitted sender hosts)

identity=mailfrom; client-ip=218.92.28.8;

envelope-from=<user[at]rogers.blackberry.net>;

Message-ID: <832588815-1141077001-cardhu_blackberry.rim.net-2761-[at]engine88>

Reply-To: user[at]email.com

Importance: Normal

To: "Me" <me[at]domain.com>

Subject: Re: Hey

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:48:37 +0000 GMT

Content-type: text/plain

MIME-Version: 1.0

Since my recent upgrade to the latest version of Horde and Qmail - I have noticed that Email received with GMT in the datestamp does not show, and spamd reports the date as invalid - which of course causes some Emails to be reported as spam. Horde shows the date as 'Unknown Date', but if you remove the GMT from Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:48:37 +0000 GMT it shows fine.

How can I fix / change the settings to resolve this?

41414[/snapback]

The way I read your question, although the displayed output is the same, there isn't a direct link to the scenario covered in the existing discussion. As you are pointing to results seen ftom your install of Horde, one would think that the folks that wrote and support Horde would be the folks to ask ...???? I know I placed a link in the FAQ 'here' to the Horde/IMP FAQ, which includes links and directions on how and where to get support.

I have noticed that Email received with GMT in the datestamp does not show, and spamd reports the date as invalid - which of course causes some Emails to be reported as spam.

41414[/snapback]

What spam filters are you using that assumes an invalid date code is spam?

Archived