[Resolved] 2 different accts., 1 IP

emanmb

I've been using Spamcop for years. My wife wanted to report her spam too so I just signed her into Spamcop and she got her own account, PW, and "submit[at]spamcop" email addy. How come all her reports came to me? i.e., she reported a ton of spam, and all the notifications came to my reporting address. We're on the same IP, on a router. I checked my Spamcop account and her email address is NOT there. I'm glad she's starting to report her spam, but heck, I don't want to do all the work! :D

Thanks!

Eric

Starting with the only obvious question (based on a lack of data) ... do you and your wife have different e-mail accounts? You say "We're on the same IP, on a router" .. but you don't actually say "on different computers" ... as far as "submitting via e-mail" the IP address woudn't be involved, the "submit address" is keyed to the "registered e-mail address" .. so if her submittals are coming back to you, then it would appear that you simply managed to re-assign your e-mail address to a 'new' reporting account (submit address) .... if that's not it, then I'm not following something in your story ...

I've been using Spamcop for years.  My wife wanted to report her spam too so I just signed her into Spamcop and she got her own account, PW, and "submit[at]spamcop" email addy.  How come all her reports came to me?  i.e., she reported a ton of spam, and all the notifications came to my reporting address.  We're on the same IP, on a router.  I checked my Spamcop account and her email address is NOT there. 

38556[/snapback]

Assumptions: you are using two different computers.

You checked "your" account - wrong account to check

You need to check "her" account and see what email address is being used.

You also need to check to see what submit to address she is actually using, her new one or your old one.

Have you tried logging into the reporting site directly using both email addresses or are you only clicking on the email links?

As Wazoo says, it is a bit of guess work based on the limited information provided.

Also beware of cookies. When dealing with multiple SpamCop accounts, cookies can make it difficult to get to where you want to be as they will take you where they think you want to go. This is especially true when using the same computer but may also apply to routers. Remember that caching can also be an issue.

Yes, I think cookies are a good place to start looking as I may have used her comp to report spam once or twice so I'll clean those. Yes she has her own comp and email addy (can u REALLY imagine having to share? ;) )

"so if her submittals are coming back to you, then it would appear that you simply managed to re-assign your e-mail address to a 'new' reporting account (submit address)"

I'll have to check HER submit addy and compare and make sure her acct. is totally separate. I did check my account and only my addresses are listed.

Thanks for the help & sorry with such basic questions that came in at 12am!

Eric

OK, I must be missing something as my wife is reporting spam on her Spamcop acct. and the reports are all coming to me still, i.e. all her spamcop notifications are coming to the email address I USE for reporting spam to spamcop. :(

I went into my wife's acct. and made sure that everything is set correctly as far as I could tell. Report Handling Options are set at default. Under Change Email address or name, under "Where would you like to receive email responses from your reports?" I clicked the save settings just to make sure her addy "takes" and it goes to a page with no acknowledgement of that. Mailhosts listed is a single addy, her yahoo address and it's under her name.

My address/es are nowhere to be seen in her acct. BUT if I go to recent reports, it says "nothing found". Also her reporting address "submit_____[at]spam.spamcop.net is different than mine!

Under Statistics>Source of Mail there are a lot of listings but I don't know if that's just hers or mine or what. On the spamcop page where she would click "Report Now" that never appears under her acct.

Any help is appreciated to straighten this out!

Eric

Also her reporting address "submit_____[at]spam.spamcop.net is different than mine!

38629[/snapback]

Is she sending her submissions to that address, or to yours? It looks like she's sending to yours, while she should be sending to hers.

Is she sending her submissions to that address, or to yours?  It looks like she's sending to yours, while she should be sending to hers.

38630[/snapback]

OI! Sorry I just double checked the two reporting addresses and hers somehow IS the same! Boy I feel like a dork!

Sorry about that. :blink: I have figured out that somehow my reporting addy was in HER address book (freakin auto fill)

Sorry for my silliness.

Eric

No, her reporting address ("submit_____[at]spam.spamcop.net) is definitely different than mine.

38631[/snapback]

I understand that, but is she actually sending to her reporting address or yours? Can you please try to check her computer's sent mail history and/or have her show you exactly how she is submitting? Thanks!

OI!  Sorry I just double checked the two reporting addresses and hers somehow IS the same!  Boy I feel like a dork!

Sorry about that. :blink: So how do I correct this so she has her OWN reporting address?  We signed her up sparately from me.

38631[/snapback]

Sorry, I was writing while you were posting. Either of you can simply take her reporting address (after "Forward your spam to:" on her logged-in SpamCop reporting webpage) and put it into her email client on her computer, preferably in her Address Book with a short nickname or alias.

OI!  Sorry I just double checked the two reporting addresses and hers somehow IS the same!  Boy I feel like a dork!

Sorry about that. :blink: I have figured out that somehow my reporting addy was in HER address book (freakin auto fill)

Sorry for my silliness.

Eric

38631[/snapback]

We all have those Homer Simpson moments once in a while... ;)

When your wife logs into the reporting system her Email reporting address will be displayed on screen above the box you can use to submit reports but curring and pasting. It will be in the form: submit.xxxxxx[at]spam.spamcop.net

The address for your wife should be different to yours although they may look very, very similar at first glance.

Andrew

Edit: And I was typing as Jeff G was typing... :ph34r:

<snip>

<snip>

38631[/snapback]

...Glad you figured it out -- thanks for letting us know!

...Based on this post, I am marking this article as "Resolved."

I'm glad it's working for both of you now.  Please make sure that your Confidential Submit Address is no longer in her Address Book.  Thanks!

38644[/snapback]

It was the "auto fill" in Safari that remembered my reporting addy :blush:

a mostly helpful function that backfired this time :lol:

thanks for all your help!

e

Archived