"Your email address has returned a bounce"

Ythan

Hello,

I'm an admin for a small mail server (mail.shroomery.org/69.28.174.166). We have a catch-all account to collect spam, which is then manually reviewed and submitted to SpamCop. WWW::Mechanize::SpamCop from CPAN is then used to automatically file reports.

The problem is, SpamCop intermittently displays the following error when I log in:

Bounce error

Your email address, devnull[at]shroomery.org has returned a bounce:

Subject: failure notice

Please ensure your email account is reliable, then click below

Devnull[at]shroomery.org is an account specifically created to receive notifications from Spamcop. It has no quota and automatically deletes any incoming e-mail.

Although our server shouldn't be generating bounces, I was concerned it could be a misconfiguration. I created a new account, spamcoptrap[at]gmail.com, to see if this resolved the issue.

Unfortunately there was no change. I continue to receive the same error with the new e-mail address.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be occurring and how I could resolve it?

Thank you for your consideration!

-Y

Unfortunately there was no change. I continue to receive the same error with the new e-mail address.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be occurring and how I could resolve it?

38897[/snapback]

Not me, your email server is fine?

NSLookup(MX) for mail server(s):

- mail.shroomery.org (10)

NSLookup(A) on Domain: mail.shroomery.org

--------------------------------------------------

Verify Email Address: devnull[at]shroomery.org

220 shroomery.org ESMTP

HELO 211.27.40.11 { Identify yourself }

250 shroomery.org

RSET { Clear prior SMTP transactions }

250 flushed

EXPN devnull[at]shroomery.org { Expand email address }

502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

VRFY devnull[at]shroomery.org { EXPN failed. Trying VRFY. }

252 send some mail, i'll try my best

MAIL FROM: <petzl[at]spamcop.net> { VRFY failed. Trying MAIL FROM. }

250 ok

RCPT TO: <devnull[at]shroomery.org> { MAIL FROM succeeded, is recipient valid? }

250 ok

RCPT TO: <j6L7W1P9E0[at]shroomery.org> { Email address accepted, double-check with "fake" recipient }

250 ok

QUIT { Server accepts all recipients, therefore status of email address is unknown }

221 Closing connection. Good bye.

The problem is, SpamCop intermittently displays the following error when I log in:

If you would like to email me your login email address (username), I can review your account. Send it to me by email at: service [at] admin.spamcop.net

I found an account that looks like yours, but I can't be sure. That account is bouncing our mail with this error:

<[removed] [at] shroomery.org>:

/bin/sh: line 1: /bin/true/true: Not a directory

The account has been suspended since December 26th. If the email address is working now, you can log into the account and resolve the bounce issue so that you can start using it again.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

I am having same kind of problem last 2 days. I am a registered spamcop user adriano[at]spamcop.net . The Spamcop's Report spam page states this:

----

Bounce error

Your email address, adriano[at]spamcop.net has returned a bounce:

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Reason: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'c60.cesmail.net [216.154.195.49] is currently not permitted to relay\nthrough this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server\nin the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your\nemail client.'

Please ensure your email account is reliable, then click below:

[Problem resolved]

----

From the reported information I don't understand what I am supposed to do. I never had this kind of problem with my e-mail account. The e-mail address that it reports to bounce, is my spamcop's e-mail address (isn't it ?!?). Could you please help ?

Thanks in advance.

- -Adriano Cansian

adriano[at]spamcop.net

I am having same kind of problem last 2 days. I am a registered spamcop user adriano[at]spamcop.net . The Spamcop's Report spam page states this:

38908[/snapback]

Please send the above information to Don at this email address

service [at] admin.spamcop.net

He will help you.

Miss Betsy

Well, I hate to say it, but me too. Just noticed that I have not gotten anything from SC sense midnight.

The bounce flag was set. Checked with ISP and they say everything looks ok. cleared flag just got a "quick reporting data" data back.

But there are 61 spam missing from the 'past reports' tab all sent about 10:25 or 12:15 -0500 today.

Will check with service [at] admin.spamcop.net

I just wanted to thank everyone for their response! I've reconfigured my mailserver and hopefully it will resolve the /bin/true/true bounce errors. It seems possible there might be a second issue which was causing my problem with Gmail and also affecting the other posters in this thread. If I get any more bounce errors which aren't of my own doing, I'll be sure to post details. Thanks again!

-Y

Will check with  service [at] admin.spamcop.net

38941[/snapback]

Update - Don responded with bounced example that provided the clue. ISP was scanning the content of the "Quick Reporting Data" message, finding the Subject of the spam (a stock Pump & Dump) and then bouncing the "Unwanted Stock Scams"

ISP did note, with a smile, that the subject line made it in (to me), out (to SC) but got stopped the third time through.

Same filter that caused the bounce also stopped the out going, (second time through the filter).

Life is a Beach - keep the sand out of your pants

Updating:

Don said there appears to be an intermittent problem with the servers that handle my e-mail forwarding. Sometimes, when the reporting system sends a response to my spam reports, the e-mail can't be delivered to me, so it bounces, which causes my reporting account to be suspended.

This morning I had a clue, and it can help other users. Please see this today's header from Spamcop Quick Reporting data message:

----

Received: from sc-app4.ironport.com (HELO spamcop.net) (204.15.82.23)

by vmx1.spamcop.net with SMTP; 08 Jan 2006 13:32:02 -0800

To: Clint[at]blade2.cesmail.net, The Sysman <adriano[at]spamcop.net>

Subject: SpamCop Quick reporting data

----

Please note the "To:" field... It's sending the report message to "Clint[at]blade2.cesmail.net" *and* "The Sysman <adriano[at]spamcop.net>". I think this is causing the bounce problem with the cesmail.net. And I think the reason is I use the NAME when sending spam reports as "Clint, The Sysman". Note the colon (*,*) before "The Sysman" name. It's sending the message to "Clint" *and "The Sysman" . I believe Clint[at]blade2.cesmail.net it's a non existing address, so the report message bounces and the spamcop system blocks further delivers.

I will change my name reporting now, removing the colon, and check if the problem happens again. Maybe you have other means to check this. I will report about this son.

I hope it could help other people using colon in the reporting name. Maybe the name can't have colon, semicolon, dots or other special caracters.

Best wishes,

-Adriano, a.k.a. Clint, The SysMan

To: Clint[at]blade2.cesmail.net, The Sysman <adriano[at]spamcop.net>

I will change my name reporting now, removing the colon, and check if the problem happens again. Maybe you have other means to check this. I will report about this son.

39081[/snapback]

In your example, you are using a "comma" not a colon, though the end result would probably be the same. Per paragraph 3 of RFC 2822 - Internet Message Format .. either or both your e-mail application and the receiving e-mail server would take that extra charater as a sign that the following text is suggesting that a 'second' user/mailbox has been tragetted. The results here are that neither user/mailbox was found .... why you found this to be "intermittent" is a bit surprising to me.

Clint, "," is a comma, not a colon.  A colon is ":".

39174[/snapback]

Ah !! Yes, Thank you ! Sorry about my poor english :-)

In your example, you are using a "comma" not a colon, though the end result would probably be the same.  Per paragraph 3 of RFC 2822 - Internet Message Format .. either or both your e-mail application and the receiving e-mail server would take that extra charater as a sogn that the following text is suggesting that a 'second' user/mailbox has been tragetted.  The results here are that neither user/mailbox was found .... why you found this to be "intermittent" is a bit surprising to me.

39177[/snapback]

Yes, I know about using comma as e-mail address delimiter whithin multiple e-mail addresses. But that field in SC preferences is supposed to be a NAME (i.e. a string), and not an e-mail address. The strange fact is I used that "Clint, The SysMan" name since many years ago, and the problem appears last few days.

Anyway, I removed the comma and everything is working fine now. No more bounce blocks. But... I liked my old name... :-)

I would like to suggest about puting a warning in SC preferences field, telling to do not use comma or other caracters in name.

Thanks for the comments.

Best wishes.

Adriano

Clint, The Sysman a.k.a. Clint comma The Sysman

Archived