Misdirected Bounces

yokel

Sorry I am showing my ignorance here but do you mean like a Postmaster[at] address?? where people can send complaints about issues they have encountered with emails from the domain, for example.

39826[/snapback]

Usually people send complaints to the 'abuse' address rather than the postmaster address. Often the larger administrators have the abuse address in the whois information. There is a web site where domains can register 'abuse' addresses - abuse.net - and savvy administrators register their addresses there. Postmaster is the absolutely last resort (for the parser as well as the individual reporter).

I am not sure exactly why this practice has developed (instead of using Postmaster), but the chances are it is because the spammers abused the address.

Miss Betsy

I am not sure exactly why this practice has developed (instead of using Postmaster), but the chances are it is because the spammers abused the address.

39830[/snapback]

Hi Miss Betsy!

Surprisingly, perhaps, but the abuse[at] address appears in RFC 2142 which dates back to May 1997 so it has been around for quite some time :D

Andrew

the abuse[at] address appears in RFC 2142 which dates back to May 1997 so it has been around for quite some timeĀ  :D

39833[/snapback]

"<ABUSE[at]domain>" was in use as a defacto standard for quite some time before RFC2142 Mailbox Names for Common Services was drafted - see "Defacto standards also exist for well known mailbox names which have nothing to do with a particular protocol, e.g., <ABUSE[at]domain>" in Section 1 on Page 1.

Archived