Spamcop is interfering...

dougbdl

People sending us mail get rejected with a spamcop warning. Thing is, we don't use spamcop nor do they.

We have a SBS 2003 server with no spam filter because it really isn't a problem with us. More and more of our clients are getting bouncebacks with Spamcop warnings. I called our ISP (XO communications) and they claim they do not use spamcop.

I also noticed that many (not all) Gmail addresses are getting bounced. This is really starting to affect our business, and right now anti-spam is a bigger problem than spam.

Why is this email getting blocked?

Doug

As I'm no doubt you are aware, spamcop has no means to block spam. All they do is publish a list of servers known to send spam. However, it would be impossible for us to diagnose your problem without seeing one of the rejection messages in question.

Here a few possibilities (these are just guesses as no information was provided):

If an outside consultant set up your exchange server, they may have enabled DNS blocking based on the SCBL or other list at the server without you being aware of it. This could also be why you haven't had much problem with spam.

If email is received by XO for you, then they would be the ones using the SCBL. ISP tech support is not always aware of exactly what goes on "behind the scenes", so their answers should not always be taken as 100% reliable.

39758[/snapback]

First of all, I see nothing here dealing with a SpamCop Reporting issue, so this will be moved to an assumedly more appropriate Blocking List Forum section.

Second of all, there is much information already in place that could have been researched prior to posting a Frequently Asked Question (FAQ).

Thirdly, what information would you expect to be offered without providing some specific data?

Your statement that others "sending" you e-mail are he ones receiving the "blocked" message. That certainly suggests that whoever is "accepting" your e-mail has the server involved that has been vonfigured to use the SpamCopDNSBL in a "blocking" fashion, which is not the suggested method. Of course, there's also the possibility that there is some other configuration in use that is doing the blocking/bouncing, but wrongly pointing to the use of SpamCop data ....

Only having your posting IP to go on ...

http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...ng=71.16.70.226

Date of first message seen from this address 2006-01-10

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day ........... 2.0 .. -100%

Last 30 days ..... 0.8 ... 732%

Average ........... 0.0

Network Owner ... Command Software

Domain .... uslec.net

dns1.uslec.net reports the following MX records:

Preference Host Name IP Address

10 vmail.uslec.net 209.92.1.33

But this seems to track back to;

Network Owner FASTNET Corporation

Domain fast.net

Date of first message seen from this address 2003-07-03

I'm done trying to guess ... you should know who is actually handling your e-mail and how ....

39758[/snapback]

Sorry but all of the psychics that usually frequent this forum are on vacation. If you want some assistance from less ESP endowed persons then you will have to post one of the bounce messages so we can see what IP you think you are talking about.

People sending us mail get rejected with a spamcop warning. Thing is, we don't use spamcop nor do they.

Then it's not SpamCop then is it?

We have a SBS 2003 server with no spam filter because it really isn't a problem with us. More and more of our clients are getting bouncebacks with Spamcop warnings. I called our ISP (XO communications) and they claim they do not use spamcop.

SpamCop is not meant for blocking? SpamCop is a spam sorting filter. Putting spam into a potentail spam folder. If you are getting bounces it most likley means you have a security problem

also noticed that many (not all) Gmail addresses are getting bounced. This is really starting to affect our business, and right now anti-spam is a bigger problem than spam.

I have Yahoo, Gmail, MSN, hotmail all on my personal blacklist (as most do). Spammers notoriously use false email addies from popular email providers. This is overiden with a whitelist containing the full email address

Although you are claiming spam is not a problem, a great many people use personal spam blocking filters/software on their own personal computers because they strongly disagree with you.

If indeed SpamCop has you listed it is for a reason and that reason is your IP has been reported for spamming. If you do not know why it would pay to check your IP's out HERE If you find any blocked come back here and tell us what these IP's are.

Archived