login persistence problem

ewv

spamcop is sporadically losing my reporting account login. When it works normally I can restart the browser and even reboot and still get back to reporting without logging in again. When it doesn't, I find myself logged out as often as every report notification, i.e., I confirm a report to be sent, then click on the next notification link and the report comes up without the choices to be copied on the report, etc. because I am no longer logged in.

This problem of lack of login persistence is not correlated to any differences in client cookie or firewall configuration -- it happens by itself. Sometimes it happens once or twice before stabilizing, other times the login goes bad with every report for long stretches.

"Logging in to report" sounds like an issue for over in the E-mail Forum, but I'm onlt guessing at what type of account you have ... Please see the later postings in the Topic / Thread found at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=575 ... see if the trace-route results show some kind of traffic issue between your and and the SpamCop servers .... anything on your system that may have a timeout setting?

"Logging in to report" sounds like an issue for over in the E-mail Forum, but I'm onlt guessing at what type of account you have ...  ... see if the trace-route results show some kind of traffic issue between your and and the SpamCop servers ....  anything on your system that may have a timeout setting?

This is about reporting spam in response to notifications of forwarded spam received and has nothing to do with a spamcop email account, which I don't have.

Traceroute and ping to spamcop.net are normal. How could traffic cause the spamcop server to drop the login?

Your term "logging in" is the one that had me started down the wrong path.

Traffic issues wouldn't be SpamCop dropping the "login" ... it would be a timeout in your browser call asking for data from that web site ... that you went into even going so far as to re-boot suggested traffic problems.

So if we're looking at a free account, then let's start with: I made the long secret code for 'my' account part of the URL to go to the web page to do a cut/paste, so it's only a one-click deal and I'm there ... and the fact that cookies are in place for the auto-go-to-next and show-tech-details, I'm there at the page .. as a matter of fact, a few days back, I found out that I had to do some work in order to see what www.spamcop.net web page looked like as a brand new web surfer, because the cookie existing took me right to the reporting page.

>Your term "logging in" is the one that had me started down the wrong path.

>... So if we're looking at a free account, ...

No this is a paid account so there is literally a login required in addition to the URL to the right spam report page. Without being logged in it goes to the report page ok (including showing techinical details), but it comes up like a free account without the options for cc'ing the report back to me, sending to the predefined user specified addresses and the 'user notification'.

>Traffic issues wouldn't be SpamCop dropping the "login" ... it would

>be a timeout in your browser call asking for data from that web site

>... that you went into even going so far as to re-boot suggested

>traffic problems.

The problem is not correlated with any changes in load on my local browser or PC or with any changes to browser or other configuration parameters. If something strange is going on with XP it hasn't revealed itself.

I mentioned rebooting only to emphasize that when the login works properly, it holds its status across all kinds of activity on my PC including the extreme of rebooting. In addition to that, I did try rebooting to see if it would clear up the dropped login problem. It didn't help. I don't see anything on the client side which is correlated with the login persistence problem and haven't had this problem on any other site I visit which requires a login (including this forum).

>... then let's start with: I made the long secret code for 'my' account

>part of the URL to go to the web page to do a cut/paste, so it's only

>a one-click deal and I'm there ... and the fact that cookies are in place

>for the auto-go-to-next and show-tech-details, I'm there at the page ..

>as a matter of fact, a few days back, I found out that I had to do some

>work in order to see what www.spamcop.net web page looked like as a brand

>new web surfer, because the cookie existing took me right to the reporting

>page.

I don't follow the part about the secret code. I do have the URL for my account stored in my browser as a link so I can quickly get in for manually getting reporting addresses or copy and paste operations.

Normally I use a procmail scri_pt on the server to forward each spam to spamcop as it comes in (and sometimes to other addresses), then rely on the spamcop notification alerts to confirm sending the reports.

Procmail also provides a copy of the spam to me in place of the original, reformatted with a unique ID to make it easier to correlate them with the report alerts (both for archiving and because the spamcop original spam view page is too slow to get in and out of). So most of the time I don't do a manual copy and paste to spamcop.

The whole system (which also uses a few filters on the client side [Eudora]) usually works very smoothly and automatically except for the recent login persistence problem and a recent temporary problem with notifications coming in hours after the spam was forwarded (I could see the mismatches accumulating in the Eudora folder where these things are filtered to). But even when I use copy and paste the login persistence problem is a nuisance because I have to manually re-login for each report to get all the report options to come up.

>Traffic issues wouldn't be SpamCop dropping the "login" ... it would

>be a timeout in your browser call asking for data from that web site

The problem is not correlated with any changes in load on my local browser or PC or with any changes to browser or other configuration parameters.

Didn't say anything about your system, was talking about a browser, firewall, something else timing out while waiting for a response ... browser send a GET, web site send some data ... that's the lag I was suggesting ... and possible issues. In the other Topic/Thread referenced, I'm guessing that Adelphia had a router go down, and the one swapped in was taking it's sweet time at flushing out it's tables .. one user talking of nothing all day from home, then a small percentage of successful logins, but really, really slow, then all was OK ...

it holds its status across all kinds of activity on my PC including the extreme of rebooting

OK, now I'm going to refer back to a lot of discussion over in the newsgroups. One person is very adamant and more than a bit angry at a recent change in some code here .. she also is a Report Only member .. but the ack with links to check apparently changed recently, with links that used to go to members.spamcop.net now linking to www.spamcop.net, with a bit of a message about logging on in the future with cookies. She's written a scri_pt file that solves her "login" problem, as she's dead set against using a cookie.

Then I'll pull this Forum into the picture ... if I just close the browser, the next time I hit a shortcu I made, I'm popped right into the first screen ... However, if I should do the "right" thing, I'd go to the top of the screen and logout ... impact being the next time I hit my shortcut, I have to log in again. Thus, the long persistence, and it's based on a cookie.

So in the end, I'm in agreement with you that there's probably nothing wrong with your system, and you've pointed out that you've no problems with other sites. And that leads me back to some sort of traffic problem between where ever you are and the SpamCop servers ... and as in the other referenced thread, the problem is that there's no wild crowd wanting to beat the doors down due to everyone having connectivity problems. JT's got all kinds of monitors going on the e-mail side of the house, the spamstats.gif shows that reports are going out, so it's kind of a "what's left?" It just seems like a best guess that someone somewhere is randomly dropping some packets for you ..???

If that is absolutly not a possibility, then I'd have to fall back on asking when the last time you ran AdAware and Spybot on your system (after catching the databases up to date of course) .. possibility the CWShredder might be needed, but it usually shows all kinds of other symptoms ... but the connection there is some scumware getting in the middle of things, perhaps stealing too many CPU cycles while it's doing its collecting and reporting, and there's where your browser timeout is coming from.

again, just trying to help ...

Archived