A not interested in spam reports BL would be nice.

Telarin

I'd like to see spamcop maintain a secondary blocklist containing IP address with no valid reporting addresses, or addresses that bounce. Basically, when you send you regular spam reports, if all the regular reporting emails are dev/nulled, that particular IP would get added to the "not interested in spam reports" block list. Unlike the SCBL, listings should remain here until there is a working reporting address for that IP.

I get a log of spam regular from ISPs like Savvis, that have no working reporting addresses, and it would be nice to simply be able to block these ISPs outright. I know there are lists like RFC-Ignorant, but it is more extreme than I am wanting as they will list you even if there is a working address if it is something different from abuse[at] and will list for even minor errors in the Whois data like a missing fax number (which is not strictrly required by the RFCs).

While this list COULD possibly be done by a third party, spamcop is better positioned to handle it, since they are already parsing the messages, and it would take very little more cpu power to simply add the IP address at the end of the parse if no working reporting addresses could be found.

AFAIK, a similar database already exists at SpamCop, but it is private and only contains bouncing and report-denying email addresses, not IP Addresses.

Re WHOIS, any incorrect data in a name-based WHOIS record is a violation of RFC1032 - please see Listing policy for the whois.rfc-ignorant.org zone for details. Thanks!

Yes, I'm familiar with their listing policy. They listed one of my domains a while back for no fax number (most registrars list 999-999-9999 when no fax number is provided).

I am also read the referenced RFCs, and have not found anywhere in the RFCs themselves that says the fax number is a required piece of information. As a point of reference, the sample information listed in RFC 1032 itself does not list a fax number.

But I digress from the original point of my post. Compiling the already available data into an IP based block lists would be fairly straightforward, and could easily be maintained automatically. Even removal could be automatic:

Domain admin visits the site, clicks unlist. SC does a parse on the IP address requested, and either it finds good data and sends a test email to make sure it doesn't bounce, or it still finds no good reporting addresses and denies the unlisting.

Yes, I'm familiar with their listing policy. They listed one of my domains a while back for no fax number (most registrars list 999-999-9999 when no fax number is provided).

I am also read the referenced RFCs, and have not found anywhere in the RFCs themselves that says the fax number is a required piece of information. As a point of reference, the sample information listed in RFC 1032 itself does not list a fax number.

41204[/snapback]

Registrars should provide the capability for "no fax number" rather than forcing an incorrect obviously fake/bogus fax number down your throat.

Agreed. However, many, including Network Solutions, don't. Or at least didn't at the time the domain was registered.

41209[/snapback]

Right, and they were ignorant of RFCs 812 and 954 when they did that while those RFCs were in effect between March 1982 and September 2004. And many of their customers were (and some still are) properly listed by whois.rfc-ignorant.org.

Archived