Finding links in message body: No links found"

knutt

I have noticed that there must be something wrong with the parser. A link at the end of a spam message does not get parsed. I always get "no links found". I haven't tested adding some junk at the bottom and then report the message, but I might do that if someone asks me to. The spams are all text-only, by the way.

You're not the only one, knutt. I'm having this same exact thing happening to me, and needless to say, it's quite frustrating. It always seems to be the same kind of spam too, so I think it's a trick of the spammers. I could be wrong. Would sure like to know what is causing this to happen. :unsure:

knutt- the issue in your spam submittal is unfortunately a pretty typical problem mode. In the headers, there's the line;

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="--841842315099129425"

The catch is, there would normally be boundary lines within the body, where you'd see this string of characters after some reference chnage to Type: HTML, Type: Text, etc .... there are zero boundary lines in the body of the spam submittal shown. The easiest first guess is that you're using some version of Outlook, which means I should suggest that you go look at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/118.html to see some possible solutions. (Of course, another possibility is that the spammer did this intentionally, but ...)

Your comment "spams are all text-only" may be based on a switch setting in recent versions of Outlook that is set to "Read as Plain Text Only", meaning that the HTML is not rendered, good for stopping the out-going calls, but perhaps confusing the issue as to what the "real" spam actually contains for your spam complaint submittal.

Hoping there's a fix in there for you <g>

Hi, there. By "all text" I was referring to this spam only. I do (or rather did) get other spam mails too that contains(contained) HTML. Also, I have received spam that has a link in the middle of the e-mail and these render just fine when submiting it to SpamCop. The one I sent you a reference to, has a link at the very end and this one does NOT render the last line (the one with the URL). The rest is detected just fine by SpamCop.

Yes, I do have Outlook and I am aware of the "Outlook problem". To circumvent that, I am using a third-party tool. This tool seems to be working just fine on all (other) messages. I have run tests and get twice as many email addresses to report spam to as with other tools.

Archived