I keep getting blocked in Hotmail and Yahoo

kam

A few months ago I tried to send an email from my hotmail account from my laptop in a hotel and it came with a window about "help us stop spammers" and told me to enter the characters I saw in the picture. No problem, I did that but it kept kicking me back to a new picture. Then it wouldn't let me into the account at all. I had to go to someone else's computer and log in and type in the characters to unlock it. I'd use it a couple of times and then it would lock me out again. I moved hotels and didn't have the problem again until last week when I just closed the account and gave up. Just this last Monday, in a different Hotmail account it started doing the same thing. Fed up, I opened a Yahoo account and the first time I tried to send something out it came back from my friend's email provider that my IPaddress wad blacklisted on spamcop.

The problem is, it's not my IP address. I'm on a secure shared network in this hotel so I'm assuming it's an IP address that it bounces off of after leaving our router.

It was suggested that I had some kind of spyware or something on my computer so I downloaded a sweeper and cleaned everything out. And by the way, there wasn't really anything there.

The reason I'm using these free services is because I'm moving and am in hotels for a few more weeks.

I don't know if anyone else here is having this problem. Is it my computer or just an unlucky coincidence that it keeps happening to me? I don't want to get stuck with this once I move into my permanent home.

What I know about this stuff can be written on the point of a needle.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

hotmail account ... came with a window about "help us stop spammers" and told me to enter the characters I saw in the picture.

HotMail thing.

No problem, I did that but it kept kicking me back to a new picture.  Then it wouldn't let me into the account at all.  I had to go to someone else's computer and log in and type in the characters to unlock it.  I'd use it a couple of times and then it would lock me out again.

Possibly/probably security settings involved, ranging from your computer to various firewalls involved ... hard to say from this side of the screen.

I moved hotels and didn't have the problem again until last week when I just closed the account and gave up.  Just this last Monday, in a different Hotmail account it started doing the same thing.  Fed up, I opened a Yahoo account and the first time I tried to send something out it came back from my friend's email provider that my IPaddress wad blacklisted on spamcop.

Yahoo already has massive Topics/Discussions here. No real need to start another one.

The problem is, it's not my IP address.  I'm on a secure shared network in this hotel so I'm assuming it's an IP address that it bounces off of after leaving our router. 

So talk to the person that "says the network is secure" and see what's installed and running. Your comment on "after leaving our router" doesn't do anything to clear up the "not our IP address" statement. What you are probably hinting at is that you login into Yahoo, compose and send an e-mail from Yahoo, and thusly, the IP address involved in a "spam blocked" action would be based on the Yahoo outgoing e-mail server involved. As posted in a number of places here, the general "how to ask a question" includes the suggestion that if an IP address is in question, provide the IP address. Moderators here can see your posting IP address, but this would (probably) have nothing to do with your e-mail issue.

It was suggested that I had some kind of spyware or something on my computer so I downloaded a sweeper and cleaned everything out.  And by the way, there wasn't really anything there.

"sweeper" is a scary word. As in the anti-virus world, anti-spyware scanning stuff is reactionary ... the bad guys are working every day to create yet another bad item, the "anti" guys don't get to work on identifying, fixing, removing that new item until it gets into the wild, gets noticed, gets reported, gets analyzed, gets placed somewhere to be made available for the users of that tool. Different staff, different priorities, different scopes, different results from these tools, that's why there are so many of them. And of course, some of these bad things get installed from the advertised anti-stuff crap that has actually been written by these same bad guys.

The reason I'm using these free services is because I'm moving and am in hotels for a few more weeks.

I don't know if anyone else here is having this problem.  Is it my computer or just an unlucky coincidence that it keeps happening to me?  I don't want to get stuck with this once I move into my permanent home.

42012[/snapback]

"anyone else having problems?" See the existing Topics/Discussion on GMail servers, Yahoo servers, etc. An involved IP address would certainly clear up this discussion (or cause this to be moved to one of those already existing) .... the "is it my computer?" question hasn't had enough data supplied to even try to guess as to whether you have an issue or not. The question right now would go back to just who "suggested" that you had "some sort of ... something" installed ... get a better / more specific explanation .. or knock that person around for using scare tactics backed with lack of knowledge on the subject.

Can someone please help? 

Thanks!

42012[/snapback]

Symantec /NortonSecurity check your computer (this website will install activex software to scan your computer so allow pop-ups)

Then go through my signature

If you have a Trojan or a zombie computer I advise you to disconnect from net reformat drive then reinstall (backup files you do not want destroyed first)

Thanks for the information.

Sorry I didn't give the IP. Here it is: 217.146.177.183

I'm wondering if there's something on my computer that's causing the problem because it's happened in several locations, in 2 Hotmail accounts and now a Yahoo account.

The IP address assigned to my computer is a VPN address, not the one above.

Here is the mailer daemon message I got in my Yahoo account:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following

addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<user[at]cablespeed.com>:

216.15.205.76 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 591 your host [217.146.177.183] is blacklisted by

bl.spamcop.net. Send your questions to

blacklist-admin[at]admin.cablespeed.com

Giving up on 216.15.205.76.

216.15.205.76 is apparently the cablespeed email server IP.

thanks.

Thanks for the information.

Sorry I didn't give the IP.  Here it is:  217.146.177.183

42023[/snapback]

OK, it's not you nor your computer. It's a Yahoo thing. See the very long otherthread about Yahoo getting its servers listed. Bottom line, to save you a long read, Yahoo's servers are misconfigured and don't record the IP from which it received the mail in the headers. Therefore the last 'real' header that spamcop can find is the Yahoo sever. They have literally hundreds of servers and at any time a few will be listed. It's just bad luck if you happen to be assigned a listed IP at the time you send your mail. Try again 10 minutes later and you'll probably be assigned an unlisted one!

Until Yahoo (i) become more proactive against spammers and (ii) configure their servers properly this will keep happening.

That doesn't explain the hotmail thing. In my experience, in the beginning when they started using the hotmail security, it seemed like every time I accessed my email, they wanted to 'check' me. If there is anything unusual (like accessing hotmail from different locations and IP addresses maybe), they want to 'check' it out. I was always able to type in the code, however, though once or twice they made me do it again.

You are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place - maybe you should try sneakemail or sign up for a spamcop account or another paid webmail until you get settled since hotmail may be paranoid and yahoo blocked by spamcop.

Miss Betsy

That doesn't explain the hotmail thing. 

Miss Betsy

42045[/snapback]

That's my thinking also?

If you have a hotmail account it is unlikely to ever be blocked (they have properly configured servers and do not tolerate spammers)

The security issue may be the Hotel uses a web proxy with many checking Hotmail accounts from same IP (but only guessing)

Hotmail works best directly from your email software on your laptop

Archived