Returned mail: see transcript for details

exemacs

I own www.exemacs.com

I have email and url forwarding provided by www.freeparking.co.uk

I have tried to send an email to my support email address and I got this error back !

The original message was received at Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

from smtpin02-en2 [10.13.10.147]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<support[at]exemacs.com>

(reason: 554 Sending Server IP address is blacklisted at Spamcop.net - contact Spamcop or your ISP)

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to mail.exemacs.com.:

>>> RCPT To:<support[at]exemacs.com>

<<< 554 Sending Server IP address is blacklisted at Spamcop.net - contact Spamcop or your ISP

554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

__

I have contacted freeparking who have said to contact spamcop to remove the IP address from your system.

I am running a business from this site and do not expect my emails to be blocked by a third party when I have had no involvement with spamming.

Please can I have an explanation as to why you deem it fit to block my emails.

Regards

Exemacs

...  (reason: 554 Sending Server IP address is blacklisted at Spamcop.net - contact Spamcop or your ISP) ...

I have contacted freeparking who have said to contact spamcop to remove the IP address from your system. ...

42071[/snapback]

What is the "Sending Server IP address"? Can't see that any of freeparking's servers are listed at the moment:

72.1.201.141 mailforward.freeparking.co.uk

72.1.201.148 mailrunner.freeparking.co.uk

72.1.201.138 pop.freeparking.co.uk

Maybe someone "here" with access to history could check whether there are expired listings and reasons? Any SpamCop reports for these would go to technical_inquiries[at]telecomottawa.com

My impression is freeparking are not being particularly helpful but maybe you have dedicated servers? More information needed, I think.

smtpin02-en2 [10.13.10.147] is not a valid IP address to check as it is a non routable IP. I you want assistance we will need to know the IP address that was blocked.

If you check sightings for 10.13.10.147 you come up with lots of spam with smtpin02-en2 [10.13.10.147] in the header.

http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin....arch+this+group

Like I said if you want help you will need to provide more data.

Ok, What info do you require from me ?

42090[/snapback]

... I have contacted freeparking who have said to contact spamcop to remove the IP address from your system. ...

42071[/snapback]

Whatever freeparking mean by "the IP address".

Ok, What info do you require from me ?

42090[/snapback]

I own www.exemacs.com

Not sure if this means anything, is connected, or is the bit that needs more data.

I have tried to send an email to my support email address and I got this error back !

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<support[at]exemacs.com>

(reason: 554 Sending Server IP address is blacklisted at Spamcop.net - contact Spamcop or your ISP)

OK, that's nice, but ..... where is the IP address of the server most involved? Specifically, the server that the e-mail was seen "coming from" ....

The original message was received at Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

from smtpin02-en2 [10.13.10.147]

Once again, not really sure how this factors into the picture. You don't say, it's not in the 'error' message ...????

ns1.ukdnsservers.co.uk reports the following MX records:

Preference Host Name IP Address

0 mail.exemacs.com 72.1.201.138

5 mail2.exemacs.com 72.1.201.138

Not sure of the backup methodology there, but .....

72.1.201.138 not listed in bl.spamcop.net .... we could go with that this isn't the server involved ....

Though it might be worth noting the increase in traffic showing ....

http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...ng=72.1.201.138

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day ........ 3.7 .. 182%

Last 30 days .. 3.1 .. -18%

Average ........ 3.2

I have contacted freeparking who have said to contact spamcop to remove the IP address from your system.

But actually, you haven't identified the outgoing server involved ..... you say you sent an e-mail, but haven't said where you sent that e-mail from ....

I am running a business from this site and do not expect my emails to be blocked by a third party when I have had no involvement with spamming.

Please can I have an explanation as to why you deem it fit to block my emails.

42071[/snapback]

Any "blocking" would have been done by the receiving site. SpamCop.net has no power to "touch" your e-mail. There is a SpamCop FAQ provided here with a lot of explanation on a whol lot of things. The FAQ is a list of Frequently Asked Questions, answers provided there so that folks don't have to repeatedly type them up.

Hi,

To give you an update (and thank you for the replies) it seems as though .mac provided by apple have had some issues arise over the last few weeks where .mac members are having the same return error when they send via smtp to some address's

http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchString=mac.com

17.250.248.45 - not listed

http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=17.250.248.47 - just delisted

http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=17.250.248.46 - listed in bl.spamcop.net

http://www.dnsbl.sorbs.net/cgi-bin/lookup?IP=17.250.248.72 - listed

17.250.248.89 - not listed

17.250.248.97 - not listed

17.250.248.85 - not listed

17.250.248.83 - not listed

(enough for a sample)

OK, so for example .. you wrote an e-mail, sending it from your mac.com address. That e-mail managed to fo out of the server at 17.250.248.46, wghich is currently listed in the SpamCopDNSBL ... http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...p=17.250.248.46

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 17 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam about 10 times in the past week

Additional potential problems

(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

DNS error: 17.250.248.46 is smtpout.mac.com but smtpout.mac.com is 17.250.248.173 instead of 17.250.248.46

So there are a number of issues, DNS isn't right, spamtrap hits, and spam spew being reported as coming from this IP address.

The next step was that your e-mail was sent to an ISP that chose to use the SpamCopDNSBL in a "Blocking" mode .... which isn't recommended by the folks at spamcop.net itself. Unfortunatly, this ISP also chose not to use another recommendation from spa,cop.net, which is to flush out the "error message" with a link back to the page I just referenced.

It's possible that simply re-sending the e-mail might have it leave a different mac.com outgoing server that isn't currently listed and the e-mail would go right through.

• 2 weeks later...
I own www.exemacs.com

42071[/snapback]

I own rogercruse.com

I also have email and url forwarding provided by www.freeparking.co.uk

And I'm getting the same error!

Did you ever get your email working again?

Roger...

I own rogercruse.com

I also have email and url forwarding provided by www.freeparking.co.uk

And I'm getting the same error!

Did you ever get your email working again?

42454[/snapback]

Did you actually read through this discussion? The original poster never really quite got around to identifying the output server involved, the discussion turned away from freeparking to mac.com ... and in the same vein, you also have failed to provide any of the same data requested .. over and over in this very Topic.

Sorry, but I wanted to know if the original poster got an answer.

As for providing the same data requested, like the original poster, I'm not sure how to find this as freeparking host my domain name (and gmail my email).

I searched through the blacklisted emails and checked the IP addresses but nothing shows up as blacklisted (or I'm doing it wrong!).

Will you help me?

Sorry, but I wanted to know if the original poster got an answer.

He/she had lots of answers offered ... but also chose to ignore the questions, thus a lot of answers were guesses .... In the first post, a lot of talk about hosting, domain, and such, but .. missing was "where" he/she "sent" the rejected e-mail "from" .... only several posts later does a tale of mac.com being listed come up .... I offered a bot of a ;isting on some of mac.com's e-mail servers, but .. no confirmation of anything ....

As for providing the same data requested, like the original poster, I'm not sure how to find this as freeparking host my domain name (and gmail my email).

And how does all this tie together? Yet another wild guess .. perhaps you "sent" an e-mail "from" Google and it was rejected at/by freeparking ...???? If so, please see the massive Topic/Discussion at Gmail's server blocked .. If not, then you'll simply have to explain ....

I searched through the blacklisted emails and checked the IP addresses but nothing shows up as blacklisted (or I'm doing it wrong!).

Will you help me?

42482[/snapback]

There are lots of folks here that will try to help. However, help with no data provided is pretty damned hard to do ...

From the top: interesting that you are using the same serber/same IP address as the original posted (though apparently haven't completely gone through a configuration sequence) .. note the similarities and differences from this same data bit provided in Linear post #6 in this Topic ....

MX Lookup: rogercruse.com

ns1.ukdnsservers.co.uk reports the following MX records:

Preference Host Name IP Address

0 smtp1-in.freeparking.com 72.1.201.138

5 smtp2-in.freeparking.com 72.1.201.138

05/02/06 02:32:25 Slow traceroute 72.1.201.138

Trace 72.1.201.138 ...

142.46.200.18 RTT: 48ms TTL:176 (AL-GSR-GigE0-1-100.telecomottawa.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

142.46.200.1 RTT: 50ms TTL:176 (AL-7304-GigE2.telecomottawa.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

72.1.201.138 RTT: 48ms TTL:112 (pop.freeparking.co.uk ok)

So this is your incoming e-mail server. The question is (and eventually assumed to be the issue of the original poster) freeparking.co.uk is either using the SpamCopDNSBL n a blocking mode (not recommended by SpamCop.net) os has the server misconfigured and us blocking the incoming e-mail but is pointing to the wrong 'excuse' .... even if it's using the SpamCopDNSBL and is regecting based on a listed IP address, the "error" message also does not follow the recommended format ... specifically, identifying the blocked IP address with a link to the appropriate data page ....

So what is needed is ... where the rejected e-mail came from .. specifically the IP address of that output e-mail server.

While I'm at it, more data that you may or may not know, but ....

05/02/06 02:38:51 Slow traceroute rogercruse.com

Trace rogercruse.com (72.1.201.152) ...

38.112.24.2 RTT: 53ms TTL:176 (TelecomOttawa.demarc.cogentco.com bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

142.46.200.18 RTT: 49ms TTL:176 (AL-GSR-GigE0-1-100.telecomottawa.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

142.46.200.1 RTT: 120ms TTL:176 (AL-7304-GigE2.telecomottawa.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

* * * failed

* * * failed

* * * failed

05/02/06 02:41:31 Browsing http://rogercruse.com/

Fetching http://rogercruse.com/ ...

GET / HTTP/1.1

Host: rogercruse.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 07:41:31 GMT

X-Powered-By: ASP.NET

<FRAMESET ROWS="100%,*" FRAMESPACING=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0>

<FRAME SRC="http://rogercruse.fotopic.net/" SCROLLING="AUTO" NORESIZE FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0 MARGINHEIGHT=3 MARGINWIDTH=3>

<noframes>

<h2>rogercruse.com<br>

Your browser does not support frames.<BR>

To view our web site click here:<BR>

<a href="http://rogercruse.fotopic.net/">http://rogercruse.fotopic.net/</a>

No, you're wrong .. my browser does do Frames .... However, I don't allow it .... especiaqlly when it's part of a redirection .... you say and display "rogercruse" but try to send my browser to "xxx.fotopic.net" .... sorry, that's the end of that tune ... but I'll assume this is what the "freeparking" stuff is all about ....

Point is .. I've killed a lot of time trying to fill in some blanks so you can hopefully fill in the stuff that's missing.

Wow!

All I can say is Thank You for your help.

This is the detail from an email I sent to myself -

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

testme[at]rogercruse.com

Technical details of permanent failure:

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 554 IP address is blacklisted at dnsbl.sorbs.net - contact your ISP

----- Original message -----

Received: by 10.49.43.12 with SMTP id v12mr668260nfj;

Tue, 02 May 2006 09:34:08 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by 10.48.223.16 with HTTP; Tue, 2 May 2006 09:34:08 -0700 (PDT)

Message-ID: <f25b8dd20605020934m10430f58w3712f18779ddcc5e[at]mail.gmail.com>

Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 17:34:08 +0100

To: testme[at]rogercruse.com

Subject: Test 17:33

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Content-Disposition: inline

this is a test

----- End of message -----

Does this provide the missing information?

Does this provide the missing information?

No .. there is more light shed .. you are sending an e-mail from GMail ...

However, the waters just muddier. In this case, they "sorbs" BL was the reason for rejection .. nothing to do with SpamCop.net ...

Wow!

All I can say is Thank You for your help.

Remember, I'm the guy with the lousy attitude, gigantic ego, among a few of the descriptions used in the past. There are many here much friendlier <g>

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 554 IP address is blacklisted at dnsbl.sorbs.net - contact your ISP

sorbs - not spamcop .. however, this error message still sucks as it is not complete .. specifically "what IP address" is being blocked? This is an ISP thing at the receiving end ....

Received: by 10.49.43.12 with SMTP id v12mr668260nfj;

Tue, 02 May 2006 09:34:08 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by 10.48.223.16 with HTTP; Tue, 2 May 2006 09:34:08 -0700 (PDT)

Message-ID: <f25b8dd20605020934m10430f58w3712f18779ddcc5e[at]mail.gmail.com>

42513[/snapback]

There is absolutely no help here. The only IP addresses are non-routable "local network" types .... the handoff between the systems at 10.48.223.16 and 10.49.32.12 aren't identified enough to even guess if this e-mail snippet was taken from the rogercruse.com server or the XXXXXXXXXXX server. Probable assumption is that you copied this out of the e-mail seen at XXXXXXXXXXX .. but the critical data you left out ....

At this point, one could also offer up the possibility that the freeparking server e-mail server that "forwarded" this e-mail is on XXXXXXXXXXX's do not allow list ... not enough data provided to tell from this side of the screen.

Remember, I'm the guy with the lousy attitude, gigantic ego, among a few of the descriptions used in the past. There are many here much friendlier <g>

IMHO, there isn't anyone more helpful! And being helpful is 'friendly'

Miss Betsy

Thanks Miss Betsy ..

Now for the bad part .... let me start out by admitting that I'm not sure of my mental state right now ... just so confused ....

Further PM traffic .. more testing ... sending e-mail .. receiving e-mail .. sending CC: on other e-mail .. receiving CC: on other e-mail .... then trying to make sense out of the various multiple InBox entries all titled the same, but sourced differently ....

Roger's problem seems to be that he is sending e-mail from the web-interface of GMail. This does point us back to the massive GMail server is blocked Discussion. However, therein also starts my confusion factor(s) ....

I have my OE set to POP the GMail account.

Sending an e-mail to the rogercruse domain, CC: to roger at another address, myself to the same GMail account ...

One copy shows up with the same problem toger has been having answering questions ... only a single non-routable IP address in the headers.

One copy of a similar e-mail sent via SMTP through GMail from my OE client ....

very strange results that I don't remember seeing when I first tried this analysis way back when in the GMail server discussion ....

One e-mail sent includes the Received: line and an X-Originating line that includes the IP address of 66.249.82.205

host 66.249.82.205 = wx-out-0102.google.com

66.249.82.205 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

Another one shows 64.233.166.176

host 64.233.166.176 = py-out-1112.google.com

64.233.166.176 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

But none of this is available from the web-sent e-mail.

Then we move to the rejection notice;

Although the notification inludes the error message, in this case;

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 554 Sending Server IP address is blacklisted at Spamcop.net - contact Spamcop or your ISP

The e-mail included is a copy of the web-based suvmittal that only includes the non-routable 10.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address(es) .... However, there is nothing in the headers that contain any reference to the system that generated the error message ....

So the issue isn't that roger doesn't have a clue <g>

But I'm not clear as to how for to holler at what folks. Specifically, I still can't tell exactly who/where the rejection is taking place. It may be freeparking ... but it may also be the unknown place that was originally described as "I also have email and url forwarding provided by www.freeparking.co.uk" .. exactly where is this e-mail forwarded to?

Previous dialog wih GMail hasn't gone anywhere .... not sure of freeparking's total role in this, and if there is yet another (un-named) ISP in the mix ...????? Obviously someone in this mix needs to fix the error message, but ... who?

Still trying to figure out hopw to grab which headers and develop something understandable for another attempt with GMail techs ... hard as I'm so confused myself right now ....

Later edit: Maybe this is what the Deputies get paid for ...?????

Archived