Webmail down? imap works

OK getting panicky now. ALL my business email is handled thru spamcop and I've never experienced any scary breakdowns in access like this. Most times I've tried to access this AM, I get the usual sign in screen without a button to push after user name & password, and hitting the enter key just gets a 'bink' noise and no response. Sorry I'm tech-challenged, so I've nothing constructive to say here, just adding my whining to the chorus to say 'YES others are having the same issue'... Will something be posted here or elsewhere as this problem is addressed? Many thanks for any word on an ETA!!!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Point is, as far as I can tell, the SpamCop news page doesn't have anything to do with SpamCop webmail...

42132[/snapback]

As I pointed to ealier, www.spamcop.net page has a link Email-account news .. which sends one off to another server ... and there is a posting there made a bit ago .. the item that has been debated for the last few posts ...

Will something be posted here or elsewhere as this problem is addressed? Many thanks for any word on an ETA!!!

42133[/snapback]

Plase see my Linear post #46 in this Topic ....

I can also point out that if JT is on-site, the datacenter is so secure that cell-phones, pagers, and such don't work within the building.

OK, using IE6 on Windows XP, I can't get past the login screen. Using FireFox on Windows XP and Linux (Fedora Core 3) I get to the "redirect.php" screen (blank screen) and no further. Is the system down?

Could someone make sure JT is aware of the problem?

42078[/snapback]

I am having the same problem. Spamcop News says that there was a problem earlier but that is has since been corrected. Not so! I get nowhere with Internet Explorer and with FireFox get a blank screen. What is going on?

I am having the same problem. Spamcop News says that there was a problem earlier but that is has since been corrected. Not so! I get nowhere with Internet Explorer and with FireFox get a blank screen. What is going on?

42136[/snapback]

Same answer as above .. see my post Linear #46 for "current" situation.

I can also point out that if JT is on-site, the datacenter is so secure that cell-phones, pagers, and such don't work within the building.

42135[/snapback]

I think it's time for a new datacenter. The biggest reason to place your servers in a datacenter is reliability (redundant power, redundant routes, BGP for internet connections, etc).

If power completely fails, they should have a sufficient UPS system to handle the load for a significant amount of time.

(datacenter tech phone number removed)

I haven't called him, but perhaps someone else will and can get him to pass the word on to JT that things are worse that he has posted in the news blurb. I'll edit this post once this is resolved and remove the phone number.

DT

I tried to set a POP client to fetch my email straight from Spamcop, as decribed at http://mail.spamcop.net/setup/setup_pop2.php , but nothing appears. I see other posts here saying they've been able to use POP while webmail is down.

Do I understand this right (I've never tried to use pop..spamcop.net before...)? And is the server mail.spamcop.net or pop.spamcop.net? :blink:

I haven't called him, but perhaps someone else will and can get him to pass the word on to JT that things are worse that he has posted in the news blurb. I'll edit this post once this is resolved and remove the phone number.

42141[/snapback]

Hmmmm.......I'm starting to wonder if something got corrupted when the servers lost power. That might explain the unusually long downtime today.

I tried to set a POP client to fetch my email straight from Spamcop, as decribed at http://mail.spamcop.net/setup/setup_pop2.php , but nothing appears.  I see other posts here saying they've been able to use POP while webmail is down. 

Do I understand this right (I've never tried to use pop..spamcop.net before...)?  And is the server mail.spamcop.net or pop.spamcop.net? :blink:

42144[/snapback]

The POP3 address I am using is mail.spamcop.net. If you want to use IMAP, that address is imap.spamcop.net

I was able to retrieve all of the messages from my mailbox which existed before today's disaster, but that's all.

The POP3 address I am using is mail.spamcop.net.  If you want to use IMAP, that address is imap.spamcop.net

I was able to retrieve all of the messages from my mailbox which existed before today's disaster, but that's all.

42147[/snapback]

To further clarify, if one has set up a pop from another server, i.e. Yahoo! to spamcop.net, those emails have not been popped from their server, i.e. Yahoo!. Those emails should still be on their servers and get popped into spamcop as the backlog is worked through. One may find their "unpopped" email either way.

If you didn't remember your other account, now is the time to take notes or dig out that old password... B)

To further clarify, if one has set up a pop from another server, i.e. Yahoo! to spamcop.net, those emails have not been popped from their server, i.e. Yahoo!.  Those emails should still be on their servers and get popped into spamcop as the backlog is worked through.  One may find their "unpopped" email either way.

If you didn't remember your other account, now is the time to take notes or dig out that old password... B)

42150[/snapback]

Thanks much for the clarification. My ISP offers a webmail interface which does not delete the original message if you don't want it to. I did get to see some important stuff, but I could also see why I got the Spamcop service to begin with. I also have a few dozen notes in there about new postings to this topic...

BTW, my email client tells me mail.spamcop.net on port 110 timed out. :angry:

Another update:

I just received a test message in my Inbox which was sent from one of my other accounts a few minutes ago.

Things could be improving.  Old mail is probably still being queued somewhere.

42152[/snapback]

Things are not improving here! I get an internal server error when I try to get to the site. I used http://webmail.spamcop.net/. Any other way to get in?

It would be nice if one of the folks with some kind of authority could post WHEN THE SYSTEM SHOULD BE BACK IN SERVICE.

It would be nice if one of the folks with some kind of authority could post WHEN THE SYSTEM SHOULD BE BACK IN SERVICE.

42154[/snapback]

The only person "with authority" is the guy that owns, runs, manages, maintains, fixes ... the cesmail side of the house. He did make the announcement post a while back, I've left a couple of messages thus far on his phone/answering system (again noting that the phoe doesn't work id he's in the datacenter) .... e-mails have been sent (by a number of people) .... and if the story hasn't changed over the years, not all of JR's hardware is physically "together" .... I can recall one instance that he was working "here" on one system, but the crashed system was in another rack, three rows over, several racks 'down' from where he was sitting .... and of course, when he finally left the building, a few feet from the front door, his phone, pager, etc. all started going off with all the incoming to advise him that stuff was 'broken' ....

Now ... I just received the full login screen at webmail.spamcop.net .... any users out there that can actually login yet? I tossed a name/password at it, got redirected back to the "try again dummy" page .... so it's not "broken" completely at present.

Plase see my Linear post #46 in this Topic ....

42135[/snapback]

Actually, some cell phone services do work in the building - most of the GSM carriers for instance. I have servers there myself and I've been there many times. Phones and stuff not working isn't a security thing... it's a building construction thing. That's a solid metal and concrete building w/ dual layers of metal sheeting. It was built to withstand pretty much any weather. The side effect of that is wireless propogation through the walls stinks. My Cingular phone works in there though. And every customer gets a phone line and phone number... so you can plug in a plain phone if you want.

Funny thing is this building has a extremely fancy backup system that should have mitigated the power problem. They even purposely sell themselves as "not requiring battery backup systems". (Even though I said "uhh huh" and proceeded to install them in all our racks anyway.) Power in the building runs through "constant power systems" - which is basically a big flywheels that continue to spin by enertia and generate power until the generators kick in. And each customer is supposed to be served by redundant PDUs.

So it was either a very big power outage or Quality Technology Services has been slacking off since they bought the business from ITC^Deltacom.

}Davoice

Well, the datacenter emailed all it's customers about the problem (I got it just now b/c mail delivery was delayed due to the aforementioned issue B) ):

<hr>

Quality Technology Services is committed to keeping our customers informed of events at our Data Centers. This notification is strictly informational and does not require any action on your part.

On Tuesday, April 18, 2006 at approximately 10:30am, Quality Technology Services experienced an isolated failure on a backup generator that caused a sporadic power fluctuation. Some customers' equipment may have been affected. We have identified and corrected the issue and are working with the vendor ensure that this isolated incident does not reoccur.

<hr>

In short, their glass house now has a glaring hole in the window. I'll be interested to see how they rectify it. Good news... since I have UPSes in all my racks there, we never noticed.

}Davoice

Archived