IMAP delete in Outlook move to Trash on server

NoSpamMan

Hi,

Is there a way when I delete in Outlook the mail in the 'inbox' on the server will go to the trash folder?

I've just done 'Purge Deleted Emails' in Outlook and it appears to have permantley deleted these emails? (Have they gone for good?)

I want to be able to keep all my emails for future reference not permanently delete them.

I'm having Spamcop forward all my mail to Runbox.com and using the Outlook filter Hide Messages Marked for deletion. But I just want to delete them to the trash folder.

Can anyone help?

Best regards

NSM

If you want to keep them, do not delete them.

Create a new saved folder and move them to that folder instead.

You could also move them to the trash folder if you wanted, but that is not a safe place to store messages.

Remember using IMAP delete is one thing (they show up with a line through them).

Purge is something else.

By definition, purge means get rid of already deleted messages.

Note: this topic probably should be moved to one of the Email Forums (but I am not sure which one).

In rereading your post I am a bit confused.

I'm having Spamcop forward all my mail to Runbox.com and using the Outlook filter Hide Messages Marked for deletion. But I just want to delete them to the trash folder.
If SpamCop is forwarding all your mail, how are you using IMAP? - to view HeldMail only?

You can create separate folder on both your local client or on the SpamCop server.

You can use IMAP to move messages from one folder to another folder, from the SpamCop server to another server or to your local client.

Where the confusion comes is that after SpamCop forwards the messages, they are no longer on the SpamCop server. It just seems strange to me to be using IMAP to access messages locally, but maybe not if you are using IMAP to access the messages on your Exchange server.

Sorry if I have confused the issue.

Thank you for your replies.

In rereading your post I am a bit confused.If SpamCop is forwarding all your mail, how are you using IMAP? - to view HeldMail only?

Spamcop forwards my email to Runbox.com. I then use the Runbox IMAP inbox and sent folders.

I also have a 'saved' folder. This is where I put my old inbox messages.

Rather than put each message in there one at a time from the 'inbox' is there a way to select a load in one go and move at once? I know this can be done on the runbox webmail, but can it be done with Outlook?

Best regards

:)

I can't speak specifically about Outlook as I use Outlook Express, but if you see the list of messages then you should be able to hold down the Ctrl key and click of each message individually, which should highlight them as a group and drag the entire group to its new location or use the cut and paste option (right click).

Using he Shift key you can click on the first message and then the last message which will highlight the entire range between the two selected message.

• 5 years later...

Archived