[Resolved] Spam submission via mime digest

craigt

I'd like to know if spam submission via mime digest could be added in the future -- i.e., 10 to 20 spams could be submitted via a single email.

I'm requesting this because I've been turned off by my ISP on a couple of occasions because I have exceeded their arbitrary max outgoing counter. Attempting to explain to the 'support' line is probably just as enlightening as explaining it to my cat.

I'd like to know if spam submission via mime digest could be added in the future -- i.e., 10 to 20 spams could be submitted via a single email.

I have no idea what is actually meant by "mime digest" ... but if all you are asking is "can you send multiple spams within one e-mail" ... the answer is "yes" .... but qualified by the methods and tools in use. If you check the "How to Use ..." Forum, Reporting section, you should find at least a couple of e-mail clients referenced with "multiple submissions in a single e-mail" involved .... If you peruse / search the Reporting Help Forum section, this "action" comes up a number of times.

I'm wondering if the "mime digest" thing is why this was posted into the "New Feature Request/Suggestion" Forum section .... as the "multiple spams in one e-mail" method has been around as long as the "submit by e-mail" action has been in place .... but again, it depends on what tools are in use ....

Thanks Wazoo -- I'd never tried just attaching a number of spams as attachments. Is there a maximum for a single submission (can I send all 300 spams that I'll probably find tomorrow as a single submission)?

Just for reference here's the def of 'mime digest' from the Pegasus help thingie:

Create a MIME digest This special option is only really meaningful if you are forwarding multiple messages; it takes the messages and packages them in a special format called a MIME digest: when the recipient opens the message in a competent mail program, the digest should be presented just like a folder, allowing the recipient to browse the messages easily. This option is very useful for maintaining discussion lists and the like. You can add your own subject field for the digest (which is what the recipient will see in their folder list when the message appears in their new mail folder), but cannot otherwise alter it in any way.

Thanks Wazoo -- I'd never tried just attaching a number of spams as attachments. Is there a maximum for a single submission (can I send all 300 spams that I'll probably find tomorrow as a single submission)?

Just added as a single-line entry to the SpamCop FAQ here .... 50k per spam / 100k per e-mail with this "multiple spams in a single e-mail submittal" action ....

Just for reference here's the def of 'mime digest' from the Pegasus help thingie:

I haven't run up a Pegasus server in years .... on one hand, that definition could be read as "sounds good" .... but the "as folders" thing could offer a bit of a catch ...????

Just added as a single-line entry to the SpamCop FAQ here .... 50k per spam / 100k per e-mail with this "multiple spams in a single e-mail submittal" action ....
The 50k per individually submitted spam is still actual (offer to truncate any that are over) but the 100k per batch seems to have been quietly "upped". In the absence of any official pronouncement "we" can only go by the 100k which presumably remains SpamCop's preferred maximum but certainly no apparent harm done (messages are still processed, seemingly in full), if the odd submission goes somewhat over that - on my connection anyway.

Just select the messages you want to report (there used to be (and probably still is) a limit of 64 at a time), and forward them using the radio button labeled 'Start a new messages with the messages attached'. I've been doing that for a long time now without any problems. (Note that Pegasus Mail will probably queue the message instead of sending it, so you will have to tell it to 'Send all queued mail'.

FYI, for a while I used Pine to submit my batches of spam to SC. When I did that, having all of them forwarded as attachments, it referred to the whole thing as a MIME digest. Could just be semantics. As long as the two programs use the same definition of MIME digest, it should work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I just accidently submitted a batch of spams via Pegasus' mime digest format rather than as straight attachments -- while waiting for the normal error report email I was suprised instead to receive a processed spam email.

Apparently somewhere along the line the system was adapted to accept this format so thanks to the developers.

Hmmmm, thinking that perhaps I should wait for a couple more 'accidents' and postive feedback before marking this Topic as Resolved ...??????

Maybe then ask for a step-by-step to add to the FAQ here and/or the How to Use .. Reporting System section ...????

I've made a number of submissions in this manner this morning and all worked fine -- sounds 'resolved' from my standpoing.

As far as a 'how-to' this format is the easiest to submit if using Pegasus. The submission process is:

1) Select the desired spam(s) for submission to spamcop

2) Select 'Forward' (or keyboard 'f')

3) Enter the submission address (I now use 'quick' and since Pegasus is set for autocomplete I enter only 'q')

4) Select the 'Forwarding method' radio button labeled 'Create a MIME digest containing the messages' (Pegasus is set to retain the last usage info so I normally do nothing here)

5) Select 'Forward' (or keyboard 'enter')

6) Select 'Delete' (or keyboard 'del') -- assuming that you don't need to keep the spams around for any reason

Therefore my entire submission sequence is very simple; select the spams, type 'f', 'q', 'enter', 'del'.

Archived