EMail problem?

For the last couple of hours, Spamcop has not been picking up e-mail from my external POP3 servers (the "Configure External POP3 Servers" screen shows "Unknown error 10" alongside each one), and mail sent from the Spamcop webmail site is not arriving at its destination. I can download mail without problems directly from the POP3 accounts Spamcop is configured to use, so I'm certain it's not a problem there.

Is anyone away of a current problem with the system?

Regards,

Chris

For the last couple of hours, Spamcop has not been picking up e-mail from my external POP3 servers (the "Configure External POP3 Servers" screen shows "Unknown error 10" alongside each one), and mail sent from the Spamcop webmail site is not arriving at its destination. I can download mail without problems directly from the POP3 accounts Spamcop is configured to use, so I'm certain it's not a problem there.

Is anyone away of a current problem with the system?

Yes, I can confirm the same issue for me. I have several mailboxes set to be 'popped' by my SpamCop mailbox and each shows an error - either 'Unknown error 10' or 'Cannot contact server'.

Andrew

Yes, I can confirm the same issue for me. I have several mailboxes set to be 'popped' by my SpamCop mailbox and each shows an error - either 'Unknown error 10' or 'Cannot contact server'.

Andrew

Where are you picking up mail from, Andrew? With me it's Demon Internet. I wonder if it's some sort of routing issue specifically to the UK? I tend to think not, because if I pick up my mail directly from Demon's POP3 servers, I'm getting the usual flood of spam reaching me from all over the world. Seems to just be Spamcop which isn't getting there! Mail sent from the Spamcop webmail site to my Demon account isn't getting there, but mail sent from elsewhere is.

Could any of the "powers that be" advise if there is a known issue, please? I realise it's the middle of the night in the US, but a simple "we're aware of the problem are we're looking into it" would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Where are you picking up mail from, Andrew?....

Could any of the "powers that be" advise if there is a known issue, please? I realise it's the middle of the night in the US, but a simple "we're aware of the problem are we're looking into it" would be appreciated!

His Chrism!

I'm in the UK too. Yes, it could be routing issue. When I tracert from the US back to the UK I get some timeouts in dallas.opentransit.net That could be enough to throw the proverbial spanner in the works. I took an alternative routing and that reports 'router did not respond' at ashburn.opentransit.net

So looks like it could be a router down somewhere within opentransit.net

As for the powers that be... There are no powers that be, at least not within these forums. The Email service announcements when there are faults are posted on the login page for your Email account. TPTB do not, normally, frequent this space which is, as you know, peer-to-peer support.

Andrew

His Chrism!

I'm in the UK too. Yes, it could be routing issue. When I tracert from the US back to the UK I get some timeouts in dallas.opentransit.net That could be enough to throw the proverbial spanner in the works. I took an alternative routing and that reports 'router did not respond' at ashburn.opentransit.net

So looks like it could be a router down somewhere within opentransit.net

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. Do you know if there is there anyone that one should report this type of problem to, or is it just down to the owners of the faulty router to notice that there's a problem, and fix it?

Regards,

Chris

JT is the one and only as far as the e-mail system goes. If I get enough data, see enough traffic, I'll either e-mail or dial the phone, depending on the circumstances ... but what has ben discused thus far seems to be something not under his control .. and not enough specific data provided for me to try to do much research ... one would like to think that the onpentransit items mentioned thus far would be under someone's care and supervision and whatever is causing traffic backups should/would be setting off some alarms somewhere .. but ...???? Dallas and Ashburn are over 1,000 miles apart, and both quite a ways distant from JT's datacenter .....

Thanks, Andrew. Do you know if there is there anyone that one should report this type of problem to, or is it just down to the owners of the faulty router to notice that there's a problem, and fix it?

I'd agree with Wazoo. My guess is that this is an outage and I'd anticipate opentransit folks to be on the job and have it settled within an hour or two.

Andrew

I'd agree with Wazoo. My guess is that this is an outage and I'd anticipate opentransit folks to be on the job and have it settled within an hour or two.

Andrew

6h with no mail now. I've tried removing and re-adding my external POP3 servers, to see if that would help, but they all come back with "Unknown error 8".

Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be done to sort out this problem, please?

Thanks,

Chris

Unusual:

popgate.cesmail.net getting my yahoo account has failed (but only one time) with the Unknown error: 10

smtp.gmail.com is showing no errors, though I get very little email through that account. It is my wife's account for her online stuff, but she keeps using my clean spamcop one :(

Further testing shows a possible problem with spamcop's outgoing SMTP (perhaps only a delay).

I did a 3 way test between spamcop, work, and yahoo.

Yahoo message received at both locations

Work message received at both locations

Spamcop message NOT received at either location (yet).

It has been about 15 minutes so far.

Further testing shows a possible problem with spamcop's outgoing SMTP (perhaps only a delay).

I did a 3 way test between spamcop, work, and yahoo.

Yahoo message received at both locations

Work message received at both locations

Spamcop message NOT received at either location (yet).

It has been about 15 minutes so far.

Steven,

In addition to Spamcop being able to connect to my external POP3 servers (pop3.demon.co.uk), mail sent from the spamcop webmail site to my Demon account is also failing to arrive. Mail sent directly to my spamcop account DOES get there.

I'm getting rather worried about this. It's approaching 8h since this problem has occured and I don't have a clue what, if anything, I need to do to get it fixed. I'm far from being a technical expert - if anyone has any suggestions as to who, if anyone, I need to contact to get it fixed, I really would be very grateful. I've sent an e-mail to "support[at]spamcop.net" (is that the right address?), but given the current situation, I've no idea whether or not it's been delivered.

Sorry to be a nuicance, but is there anyone who can offer any help, please?

Thank you,

Chris

My email is not 'popping from a yahoo server and apppears is hasn't been doing so all morning...

I 'pop' from 'pop.yahoo.prodigy.com'....

SC shows error count of '2' Last error "Unknown Error 10".

I have emails sitting there back to just after midnight, (US Eastern)

Checked via another service (mail2web) it is externally 'poppable'....

My email is not 'popping from a yahoo server and apppears is hasn't been doing so all morning...

I 'pop' from 'pop.yahoo.prodigy.com'....

SC shows error count of '2' Last error "Unknown Error 10".

I have emails sitting there back to just after midnight, (US Eastern)

Checked via another service (mail2web) it is externally 'poppable'....

Thanks - I was starting to think that I was alone in having these problems! Midnight eastern is 5am UK time - the same time that I started having problems too.

Does ANYONE know, PLEASE, how to get this reported officially? It's been going on for over 10h now! There does seem to be a genuine problem here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Moderator Edit: This and another post were split out from the 2-year-old Pinned item that it was posted into .. then merged into this Discussion about events happening "today".... PM sent to advise of the move/merge ....

Yahoo! is not being popped from my account either. I figured it had something to do with changes at Yahoo! since a reported exploit was being propagated through their webmail server on Wednesday. Anyone know anything more about this and some changes that may have happened at Yahoo! as a result?

That could have something to do with this *pop* issue.

Actually wanted to add also that there was a message that did get through which was grabbed by my antivirus scanner and the culprit could have been from that same Yahoo! vulnerability exploit. But it's too late to check that as the message was already deleted.

Tim P.

Thanks

Good news! Just had a batch of mail arrive. Looks like the problem is getting sorted, whatever it was.

Your email to support[at] was the correct direction. THere is only 1 admin however, and sometimes he is caught in the computer room, not able to connect with the outside world (cell phone does not work in the "bunker" currently housing the webmail servers.

It does appear to be working through backlog. My test emails have been received and the few things at spamcop have also shown up.

Moderator Edit: this post was also split out from where the user posted it .. then merged into "this" discussion about "today's" events ...

Problem cleared this end. Just wanted to update the group that my Yahoo! accounts were popped just now.

Unfortunately this morning is a repeat of yesterday. No POP3 collection since about 0300 GMT (Sun). All POP3 servers on the POP3 server config page showing "Unknown error 10" or "Cannot contact server". I can download mail from the POP3 servers myself without problems. There appears also (again) to be an issue with outgoing mail sent from the spamcop webmail site.

Is anyone seeing the same thing?

I've sent an e-mail to "support" to report the problem.

Thanks,

Chris

I just noticed this problem this morning... other posts in this thread indicate the problem was resolved for them several hours ago.

Probably coincidentally, my spam volume has been much higher than normal the last few days. Of course when I checked my mail this morning after 8 hours of sleep, I was suspicious of the complete lack of mail. It's still sitting on the external POP server....

I tried to send a message from webmail to my gmail account, and it has not yet arrived.

EDIT: In case it matters, my mail is getting POPed from a server on anc.net / arkansas.net

Am I the only one having problems with collection of POP3 mail by Spamcop? It would be nice to know that I'm not suffering alone :(.

I have good news and bad news and other bad news...

The good news is you're not suffering alone. The bad news it's because of the problem (as listed in another thread) and the other bad news is I'm about to leave town so you will be back to suffering alone. ;-(

Archived