independent server - source ip not found

I receive email forwarded to me (and about 40 other people) from an email address on a server. I have all of my email account mailhosts set up except for this one (which accounts for probably about 40% of my spam), but this one is giving me problems. It keeps saying that the Source IP is not found. This server was set up by somebody who is not actually a professional, and I think that might be the problem. However, I can't tell him to change his DNS or IP addresses or whatever just so I can set up SpamCop. So, I'm wondering what else I can do.

I would post the full headers here that I am trying to submit, but I'm not sure that would be such a good idea. If somebody could reply to this and help me out, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks,

S

As the Pinned items in the Forum section didn't answer your question .... as the SpamCop FAQ links at the top of this very page didn't answer your question, I'll then point you to yet another recent Topic / Discussion that actually covers the same ground, albeit with a few different specifics .... mailhost registration

As the Pinned items in the Forum section didn't answer your question .... as the SpamCop FAQ links at the top of this very page didn't answer your question, I'll then point you to yet another recent Topic / Discussion that actually covers the same ground, albeit with a few different specifics .... mailhost registration

I actually did look at the FAQ that addresses this, but I didn't really understand the solution. It says:

"Source IP not found.

Problem: Your email host does not appear to correctly identify the sending IP of the email you receive. Issues thus far seem to be based on the user's hosting ISP changing their servers around, moving to new IP addresses, changing server names, ading new backup systems, etc. In one example, the issues was a mis-configuration of an inserted header line, specifically "the lack of whitespace between the server name and the square brackets around the IP address" ...

Solution: Re-run the MailHost configuration process to add in these new/changed servers/addresses. Veify that the resulting spam parsing results are successful and correct. Problems not "fixed" at this point .. see the first entry for escalation."

I checked whitespace and I don't think that is a problem. As for re-running the MailHost configuration process, how would I do that to add the new/changed servers/addresses? Just doing it again hasn't helped - I've already done it twice with the same result. Sorry, I just don't really know what to make of what you're saying above... :(

EDIT: I had also checked the list of required headers, and my test email does appear to have all of the headers it needs (and then some...).

Pinned: Mailhost Issues - please read before posting

If you have problems with mailhosts -- 1) registering new hosts; 2) returning probes; 3) spam parses or other issues you may post in this forum. However other than very general responses I will need you to write to deputies <at> admin.spamcop.net with "mailhosts" in the subject line.

FAQ Entry: MailHost Configuration problems

All the user can do is follow proper procedures, such as registering main

addresses first, and then register his forwarding services. He can't

manipulate the details of his hosts on his own. There isn't anything he

can do to help himself. If there are problems, one of us has to get into

his account and manually fix it.

All the FAQ can do is tell him to submit the Mailhost Waiver Request, or if

that option isn't available, to write to us for help.

mailhost registration - my 'helpless' mode yet again

In my attempt at building a FAQ, I feel that I have proven those statements wrong, in that there are in fact some FAQ type answers. In these repeated problems, it is apparent that there could be some entries developed that did offer some hints as to what is going on, even if the only solution is for Staff involvement .......

I'm at a bit of a loss .... how can these "repeated" cites keep getting overlooked?

Solution: Re-run the MailHost configuration process to add in these new/changed servers/addresses. Veify that the resulting spam parsing results are successful and correct. Problems not "fixed" at this point .. see the first entry for escalation."
You stated that you did rerun the MailHost configuration process. First step done.

You said it did not work. Common problem. move on to step two: "see the first entry for escalation."

this is included in the same email that contains the error message that you did post.

Have you followed that step yet? Simply take it one step at a time.

Ok, looks like I need to just talk to the regular SpamCop people. I can't say this discussion has been very helpful for me, and I feel as if you have been mostly talking down to me. Perhaps I'm wrong. Either way, it looks like the only resource that will be helpful to me at this point is emailing them directly. I thought that the official SpamCop folks would also hang out on the forum and help me with my difficulties, but it appears that is not the case.

<snip>

I feel as if you have been mostly talking down to me. Perhaps I'm wrong.

...You are correct (wrong that the people replying to you have been "talking down" to you). You had Wazoo confused as to why you didn't think the answers were in the place he suggested you look. It turned out (if I'm understanding correctly) that you simply didn't understand; however, you did not tell him (in your first reply to him) that you didn't understand. Perhaps that wasn't even clear to you until his second reply.
Either way, it looks like the only resource that will be helpful to me at this point is emailing them directly.
...Correct.
I thought that the official SpamCop folks would also hang out on the forum and help me with my difficulties,
...Incorrect but, in my opinion, a reasonable expectation.
but it appears that is not the case.
...Correct (it is not the case).

...Good luck in getting your problem resolved! I hope you'll return here and let us know how it is going.

Archived