Daily reports with little or no real information

Sakumbi

Over a year ago I singed up to receive reports about my IP address. Until recently I would rarely (almost never) receive any reports, but recently I have been receiving almost daily reports that don't seem to have any useful information.

Here is one example:

Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2006 3:53 PM

Subject: Alert

IPs reported in past hour:

And here is another that accompanied it:

From: SpamCop robot [mailto:summaries[at]admin.spamcop.net]

Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2006 3:53 PM

Subject: [spamCop] summary report

[ SpamCop V1.582 Summary Report ]

-- See footer for key to columns and notes about this report --

IP_Address Start/Length Trap User Mole Simp Comments

RDNS

216.12.39.41 new/0 0 0 0 0

mx1.roanoke.com.

-- Key to Columns --

IP Address: The numeric address.

Start: The first date (within the past week) that spam was

reported to have originated from the IP address.

Length: The duration of the incident in # of days

Trap: Messages received at traps.

User: Messages reported by registered users.

Mole: Messages reported by registered users who prefer to remain

anonymous.

Simp: Simple reports - messages submitted by unregistered users.

Comments: Notes reflect blocking-list status and issue-resolved status.

RDNS: Reverse dns name of ip address (must pass forward and reverse)

-- Summary Report Notes --

o All times are GMT, exact time of incident withheld.

o Time of this report is: Sat Jun 24 19:52:58 2006

o To close an issue, or get more details, log into your account:

o Issues are sorted with the newest reports first. Resolving new

issues first heads off additional spam from in-progress sources.

o This email is intended to be viewed with a fixed-width font.

o This email was requested in your SpamCop preferences page - where

it may be disabled.

o This report is sent periodically, but only if there have been changes.

I have been receiving the "Summary Report" about once a day, but it always has "new" for "Start", "0" for the "Length Trap User Mole Simp" and nothing for "Comments". Other than these two types of emails, I'm not receiving any other spam reports, and my IP addresses have not been list in the SpamCop DB.

So my question is what is this "Summary Report" and occasionally "Alert" telling me? The "Alert" would seem to indicate that one of my IP addresses have been reported, but then the "Summary Report" would look like it has not been reported.

The "Summary Report Notes" also indicates that "This report is sent periodically, but only if there have been changes." Well I do not see any changes is the "Summary Report", they are all identical (with one exception which said I didn't have a rDNS entry, which was incorrect as I did), so I don't understand why I receive a new "Summary Report" every day.

Am I missing something, or has something changed with SpamCop that is causing this?

Like I said, I have checked and I am not currently on the SpamCop blacklist (nor to my knowledge have I been recently) but I'm concerned than something is going on here that could result in one of my IPs being blacklisted, and I'm not receiving the information I need about what is going on.

Any ideas about what all this means, or any help would be greatly appreciated.

Over a year ago I singed up to receive reports about my IP address. Until recently I would rarely (almost never) receive any reports, but recently I have been receiving almost daily reports that don't seem to have any useful information.

There have been two other people who have posted about this situation, but there hasn't been any explanation posted. Both seemed to be in the same situation that you are - people who are really interested in making sure that what they control is spam free and were not listed on the scbl.

My guess is that since the 'Third Party Interested' reports feature has been exploited by the spammers and the rules have tightened up considerably, that the daily reports you are getting are useful to some server admins who signed up. These reports are aggregate reports, I believe. I am technically non-fluent so I don't know why or how they would be useful or how you would interpret them.

My advice is to contact official spamcop and ask them.

Miss Betsy

Just a guess but it also looks like that IP is bouncing email to invalid "from" addresses in the spam.

Report History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Monday, June 19, 2006 6:28:57 AM -0400:

Undeliverable:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:57:32 AM -0400:

Undeliverable:

Submitted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:04:05 AM -0400:

Undeliverable:

Submitted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 8:22:09 AM -0400:

Undeliverable: Reorder Notice By smart-meds.com

Submitted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:45:33 PM -0400:

Undeliverable:

Submitted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 12:48:11 PM -0400:

Undeliverable: !!!!SUSPECTED spam!!!!eqslr

Submitted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 10:28:22 AM -0400:

Undeliverable: !!!!SUSPECTED spam!!!!avznul

I just wanted to state that I had a similiar situation a while ago. I had enabled the extra reports in my ISP account. I received nothing until I tested something, basically reporting myself, on purpose, for one entry. After I marked that "issue resolved", I kept getting the daily email with no new information. It must switch some setting which does not clear on it's own. I ended up turning off the messages because I did not get a reply from the deputies (this was during one very busy period).

Archived