Need help for a friend who received a message that their email is being block

Ashcrapper

Hi,

Im not sure if a friend has spamcop installed on their pc, they got this email bounceback and asked if I could help. Ive never actually used this app myself so could anyone shed some light on what this means?

To: johntyldesley[at]btinternet.com

Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

:

62.89.140.53 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [217.146.188.106] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?217.146.188.106 - see http://bl.spamcop.net

Giving up on 62.89.140.53.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ash

Moderator edit: topic has been moved and title changed from Apologies if in the wrong forum..." to a more discriptive title. PM sent to original poster.

Looks like someone is sending Nigerian scam through yahoo. Yahoo is notorious for not cleaning up their spam act:

Submitted: Friday, July 07, 2006 5:36:16 AM -0400:

=?iso-8859-1?q?Dear=20Friend,=20I=20wish=20to=20approach=20you=20with=20a?= =...

1828940463 ( 217.146.188.106 ) To: yahoo[at]admin.spamcop.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 1:02:13 PM -0400:

=?iso-8859-1?q?Dear=20Friend,=20I=20wish=20to=20approach=20you=20with=20a?= =...

1827992354 ( 217.146.188.106 ) To: relays[at]admin.spamcop.net

1827992326 ( 211.45.98.20 ) To: postmaster[at]nexg.net

1827992311 ( 211.45.98.20 ) To: abuse[at]nexg.net

Yes, you are in the wrong forum. This forum is for users of the spamcop email system. A moderator will move you soon.

If you are the administrator of web86205.mail.ird.yahoo.com.

I don't quite understand your non-delivery message. It sounds as if yahoo is blocking itself, but then I am not much more technically fluent than your friend.

What is supposed to happen is that if your friend sent an email to an email service that was using the spamcop blocklist (a list of IP addresses that have been reported as sending spam), he would get a non-deliverable notice like that. Then he would have to ask his email service why the IP address is blocked. If they are competent, they will find out why and fix the problem.

If you are at btinternet.com and your friend sent the email to you from yahoo and it came back, that would make more sense. Yahoo is notorious for not stopping spam and not cooperating with others on the internet to stop spam. Its email servers are frequently on the spamcop blocklist. btinternet may be using spamcop. Only those who administer servers can use the spamcop blocklist to block email and send an undelivery notice. Mailwasher and SpamPal can be configured to use the spamcop blocklist (and other blocklists) to tag email as spam, but any 'bounce' message that is sent is not returned to the true sender.

You will have to be more specific about who sent the email that was bounced and where he sent it from for anyone to explain more. As Merlyn has pointed out, the reason the IP address is on the blocklist is because there are Nigerian scam spam coming from that IP address. Whoever is using the spamcop blocklist is not getting those scams.

Miss Betsy

If I am reading your 1st post correctly, you have a friend that tried to send a messge from their Yahoo email address and Yahoo sent them the message that you posted here, which basicly was a reply back to their user (your friend), that Yahoo was unable to deliver the message to 62.89.140.53 because they are using the SpamCopBL and the IP address used by Yahoo to send the mail is currently listed in the SpamCopBL. At this point, your friend's choices are somewhat limited. They can try to use a different SMTP server to send mail through or try to contact the person they are trying to send mail to by some other means and asked them to Whitelist your friend's email address so that it can bypass the SpamCopBL filters being used by 62.89.140.53

I hope that I read it correctly.

Archived