Scheduled webmail downtime 7-22-06

StevenUnderwood

Jul 21, 2006

[15:52 EDT] We will have a short scheduled downtime late Saturday night when our data center configures new routing for us. It should happen around 11:00 p.m. EDT on July 22 and last less than 5 minutes.

This was just seen on the webmail login screen. If there is new routing, I would expect trouble connecting to the forums, the news server, the Held Mail part of the reporting sites, and anything else hosted on JT's side of the SpamCop world.

Wazoo, If you can list all the systems you know are in the data center, you probably have a more complete list.

This was just seen on the webmail login screen. If there is new routing, I would expect trouble connecting to the forums, the news server, the Held Mail part of the reporting sites, and anything else hosted on JT's side of the SpamCop world.

=

Yes, this outage will affect connectivity to the entire system briefly. We will be routing a block of new IP's as well as the old ones. It's my understanding that they have to basically shut down our routing, reconfigure with the two blocks, then bring it back up. It's a couple minutes of typing, but that's it.

JT

SC email accounts ([at]spamcop.net and [at]cesmail.net) are totally DOWN right NOW, and it's almost six hours until the scheduled "five minute" downtime! Webmail is down, POP is down, IMAP is down. People are reporting it in the Usenet group also.

WTF?????

Wazoo, if you're around, please call JT right away.

Thanks,

DT

The SC email services just came back online, and here's the announcement on the webmail login page:

[18:05 EDT] We are having problems today with the new database servers. This is causing webmail problems mainly, but also sporadic problems logging into POP or IMAP.

(I'd say it's a bit worse than "sporadic")

BTW, the "news" I quoted above seems only to have been posted to the "http" and *not* to the "https" version of the webmail page (and yes, I reloaded, used two different browsers, cleared my cache, etc.). There are currently two announcement on the unsecure page and none at all on the secure version.

DT

The following update is showing on both the secure and unsecure webmail pages:

[23:47 EDT] The maintenance scheduled for tonight is done. We managed to limit the outage to just a few seconds. In other news, the database issues from earlier today are fixed.

DT

Wazoo, If you can list all the systems you know are in the data center, you probably have a more complete list.

No list, no additional input from JT, and actually not sure what this is all about. The servers I knew about seem to be at the 'same' place. I'm having to lean towards that the 'new routing' would appear to go along with the 'new database' thing.

The "handled in a few seconds" was a far cry from the thoughts I originally had of looking forward to seeing complaints still coming in a week later about folks not being able to connect (for the previous week) because they were basically screwed by the various (stale) DNS caches around the world, possibly taking that long for "the new routing data" to flush throughout the world ....

Archived