[Resolved] [SpamCop] Errors encountered

BSF

Fairly new user here so please be gentle if I am in the wrong forum or something.

I have started getting a LOT of spam as attached below, but if I try forwarding this to 'spamcop' I get a message back about me reporting spamcop, is it possible to report this type of stuff or do I just give-up on it, I have checked and though it is very similar to email I have reported, the main part of the message is definitely nothing that has come from me.

Moderator Edit: humongous posting of some very confusing data which also included this user's "submit" address has been edited out ....

Those messages are NOT spam. There is a problem with your submital process and spamcop is telling you that.

If you did not submit the following message via email:

Subject: Re: aoaylVzlAGRA

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 03:22:31 -0700

then someone else is using your submit address (which you should numge in this message as soon as possible before it gets picked up by spammers). This is unlikely, though possible.

You say

I have checked and though it is very similar to email I have reported, the main part of the message is definitely nothing that has come from me.
Is that becasue the message you reported had graphics? If so, this is the source of the message you reported which is what spamcop needs to properly parse the message.

...if I try forwarding this to 'spamcop' I get a message back about me reporting spamcop

Can you describe how you are attempting to submit the report. The errors you are getting are very similar to the ones generated when you submit spam by Email forwarding but not forwarding the message as an attachment.

Andrew

I am sure these messages were not originally reported by me as I am now getting dozens of them to a number of email addresses, only a small percentage to the one I have registered with spamcop, also I never put anything in the subject line and the submit address is not the one I send messages to.

No graphics in the messages

I have just tried sending the entire message, as above, to spamcop in the body of an email.

First post heavily edited ... huge amount of posted spam removed, basically as it didn't really provide any data, but also as it contained this user's "submit" address, and even after that was pointed out, there was no attempt at editing by the original poster ....

Now it's seen that other points have been raised, other questions asked, and answers are not being provided clearly. Time to start from scratch.

How do you submit..??? ....

I have just tried sending the entire message, as above, to spamcop in the body of an email.

Not a good answer, as "the above" was a bit of a disaster .....

What was being asked ... what software is in use?

Have you yet read about the difference between "Forward" and "Forward as an Attachment" ...???

Have you ever gone to the www.spamcop.net web-page and used the paste-your-spam-in-the-box form there and gotten a successful parse?

I get a message back about me reporting spamcop

actually says that "you are trying to report SpamCop.net to SpamCop.net" .... yet you words then wander all around what you received, what you did, ... more suggesting that what you got back was some sort of 'failure' message .... a whole different picture ....

Your provided 'sample' was simply too confusing .... it's the "what you submitted" and "how you submmitted it" that's at issue .... that you ask "is it reportable" says that you have not read the "Rules" .. suggesting another possible issue.

The "gentle" thing is to point you to the SpamCop FAQ linked to at the top of this very page ....

Try to submit your problem spam via the web-form and see what happens ... it would be helpful if you "turned on Full/Technical Details" so you can folow the parsing action ..... when you get to the point of getting a Tracking URL, please use that instead of posting your spam in here ....

I did not edit the message, except for removing the first part of my email address that is exactly what I received, I have just checked my mail and have received several more almost exactly the same as this and, as I said previously, the 'submit' address in these messages is not mine, I have checked all the recent ones I got and submit.rzfg7znvb0gj8fxz[at]spam.spamcop.net or submit.nxdympw9hngxgbec[at]spam.spamcop.net are used.

I am using 'the bat' email program, when I get a spam message I press F9 to 'view message source' I then select all and copy/paste it into a new message which I send to my spamcop reporting address without any subject line or anything else added or removed, I do not use "Forward" and "Forward as an Attachment" as this adds unnecessary text to the message.

I am afraid I did not keep the message I got back from spamcop the first time I tried sending one of these so sent another in via the web form, with full details turned on [and have saved the resulting page] at the bottom the only entry for report spam to was 'Internal spamcop handling: (badreports)'.

I have tried reading a lot of the FAQ pages etc., admittedly not too thoroughly, as I had noticed some posters seem to get quite a rough time on these forums and I would have preferred to avoid posting, but could not find anything that really seemed relevant to what I was getting.

First things first - you must never post your confidential "submit" address. That's why Wazoo deleted it/them from your initial post. Edit to remove/munge if you can, PM a moderator to do it for you if you can't. Really you should scrap these ones now and get new ones.

And Forward or Forward as attachment are configurations for your mail, not text you add. (Added - That is for forwarding the email without copying and pasting it - the relevant part of the SpamCop FAQ is Here)

Maybe I did not make it clear enough, the submit addresses in the fake spamcop messages I am getting are NOT mine and they come to email accounts that are not registered with spamcop.

Essentially there does not seem to be much difference between my sending method and forwarding, it's just that my method is far quicker in 'the bat' as it only takes 2 keystroke combinations to send it, the end result is identical.

I am surprised no one else has got anything like these messages, it seems to me some spammer has found a way to beat spamcop as it appears not to be able to handle this kind of junk.

Maybe I did not make it clear enough, the submit addresses in the fake spamcop messages I am getting are NOT mine and they come to email accounts that are not registered with spamcop.

Essentially there does not seem to be much difference between my sending method and forwarding, it's just that my method is far quicker in 'the bat' as it only takes 2 keystroke combinations to send it, the end result is identical.

I am surprised no one else has got anything like these messages, it seems to me some spammer has found a way to beat spamcop as it appears not to be able to handle this kind of junk.

You will want to contact deputies[at]spamcop.net on this issue. Perhaps there is a database problem they should be aware of that is redirecting these other failures to your accounts.

I did not edit the message, except for removing the first part of my email address that is exactly what I received,

For the record, what was posted was not "an entire package as received" .. per your own descroption, what was posted was bits and pieces from at least two e-mails .. data from one, headers from another ... this is what I menat by dusaster .. it didn't show what/how you submitted the original item, and providing pieces of things didn't explain or show any of the poissbilitues for "encountering errors" ....

I am using 'the bat' email program, when I get a spam message I press F9 to 'view message source' I then select all and copy/paste it into a new message which I send to my spamcop reporting address without any subject line or anything else added or removed, I do not use "Forward" and "Forward as an Attachment" as this adds unnecessary text to the message.

Jusr to pick one possibility in youe scenario ... by pasting in all the 'new text' ... there is the possibility that you have a word-wrap limit set that coukld be screwing up things, expecially in the header section .... Thta's why a Tracking URL was asked for, at least to rule out some of the obvious issues ...

I am afraid I did not keep the message I got back from spamcop the first time I tried sending one of these so sent another in via the web form, with full details turned on [and have saved the resulting page] at the bottom the only entry for report spam to was 'Internal spamcop handling: (badreports)'.

And by saying that there was a reporting address identified at the bottom of that page, you would also be stating that there would have been a Tracking URL at the top of the page .... that's the data bit requested.

I have tried reading a lot of the FAQ pages etc., admittedly not too thoroughly,

could ask which FAQ, what pages, etc. .... The single-page access point here is generally packaged into subject matter, some entries pointing to the original FAQ, some point to existing discussions here, some point to newly created postings just for that purpose.

as I had noticed some posters seem to get quite a rough time on these forums and I would have preferred to avoid posting, but could not find anything that really seemed relevant to what I was getting.

Seems to me that there are a number of FAQ entries existing that talk to "getting errors" ..

As far as rough time, well .... there are those that drop in, ask a question, provide all needed facts, take the time to read up on the situation, and end up solving the problem of the day. There are those folks that drop in and can't seem to find a clue anywhere, won't accept advice or knowledge from anyone, won't do any research on their own, and yes, these folks do seem to manage to make their visit a waste of time for a lot of folks.

In this case .. you say that submitting in your fashion generates an error message.

Then the error message contains someone else's report (submit) addresses.

Then you make a submission bis the web-form and you say that 'works' but don't provide a Tracking URL ...

yet indicating that you are in fact trying to submit something that appears to track back to SpamCop.net (well, that's one of several possibilities for the BadReport address coming up) ...

I would have already witten an e-mail to the paid-staff about your issue, but .. I have no idea of what your actual SpamCop.net account would be, so I can't point them to a specific account .. a Tracking URL would have solved this small problem, but you have yet to make one of those available .....

Thus far, you're helping to turn this discussion into one of those "folks get a hard time" things ...

For the record what was posted WAS "an entire package as received" apart from removing the first part of my email address before the ampersand in the message header that was the exactly what was displayed by the 'view source' command, I have dozens more of these all almost identical.

Strangely, I have been getting several of these daily but I have not received any today after sending info on it to deputies[at]spamcop.net yesterday as suggested by 'StevenUnderwood'

I have identified the users involved and written to them about this issue. I suspect there is simply a misunderstanding about which 'submit' addresses belong to who. That's personal to the users and I can't reveal that information.

The email to "badreports" is caused by someone trying to report mail from SpamCop. In this case, he's trying to report our error message. The reason for that error message is personal and I can't discuss it.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Thank you Don. We don't expect you to reveal information that needs to be kept private.
...And I, personally, greatly appreciate your complete yet concise answer, including your pointing out where and why you chose (rightly) not to reveal certain information. Most of us regulars no doubt understand, even without your explanation, why you chose not to reveal the "submit" addresses and reasons that error messages were sent but it no doubt helps those who haven't been around very long.

...Thanks! :) <g>

Archived