Beta Test Outgoing SMTP AUTH

Hi, guys.

Want to help beta test a feature before we open it up to the public? We're hoping to introduce outgoing SMTP service for all SpamCop email accounts. If you need SMTP service for roaming or whatever, maybe we can help.

First, all the caveats:

- This service is beta. It could go away or be unavailable at any time. However, if we accept your email, we'll definitely deliver it. No email will disappear.

- Outgoing service is not to be used for high volumes. Please don't put your whole office on it, send to your 1000-user mailing list, etc. It's a privilege, not a right. Any abuse will result in your access being cut off instantly with no warnings.

To use it, use the following settings:

SMTP server: smtp.cesmail.net

SMTP port: 25 (default) or 587 if your ISP blocks port 25

SMTP authentication must be enabled. Use your regular spamcop.net username and password you always use.

Please let me know if there are problems. The more information you can provide, the better.

Thanks

JT

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have setup my machine to use it and the first test went through with no problem.

Would you like comments here or direct email?

Helpful hints for users can go here. Specific problems can be emailed to me.

Glad it's working for you. For everyone's info, I'm aware that SSL is a little funky right now. It works and encrypts your email, but the certificate is bogus and you might get a warning about that. We'll fix that in time.

Jeff

For those who are interested, the following is a sample of the header information added to messages sent via the beta SpamCop SMTP-AUTH service.

Note: specific data have been munged by me using "x" no data is munged in the actual header added by SpamCop.

4: Received: from unknown (HELO relay.cesmail.net) ([192.168.1.81]) by c60.cesmail.net with ESMTP; 09 Aug 2006 08:45:31 -0400

Internal handoff at SpamCop

5: Received: from xxxxxxx (xx-xxx-xxx-xxx.dhcp.xxxxx.xxx.charter.com [xx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by relay.cesmail.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id BF453619076 for <x>; Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:45:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hostname verified: xx-xxx-xxx-xxx.dhcp.xxxxx.xxx.charter.com

SpamCop received mail from sending system xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Note: the Received: from in header #5 is your SpamCop email user name and in my case picked up the IP address of the computer used as well as the information that is was a dhcp address obtained from a specific charter.com server and includes an ESMTP id that is unique to each message which allows SpamCop to locate the specific message in their logs to further identify the creditials used to submit the message.

• 2 weeks later...
Working just fine with Thunderbird here as well :)

I cant get it to work? :blush:

I'm trying port 557 as port 25 is blocked by my provider

My password is between 25 and 30 alphanumeric letters long (I suspect this may be the cause)

I think it might be a type on your part, but the port should be 587

Thanks Steven working now (Outlook Express latest) :blush:

First, all the caveats:

- This service is beta. It could go away or be unavailable at any time. However, if we accept your email, we'll definitely deliver it. No email will disappear.

- Outgoing service is not to be used for high volumes. Please don't put your whole office on it, send to your 1000-user mailing list, etc. It's a privilege, not a right. Any abuse will result in your access being cut off instantly with no warnings.

To use it, use the following settings:

SMTP server: smtp.cesmail.net

SMTP port: 25 (default) or 587 if your ISP blocks port 25

SMTP authentication must be enabled. Use your regular spamcop.net username and password you always use.

Edited by petzl

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for SMTP! It's working fine. I sent a mail to myself, and it came back fast.

If anyone is using Evolution, the way to specify port 587 is to add it after the colon in the Server line: smtp.cesmail.net:587

Just one nitpick. This is one of the lines from the headers:

Received: from unknown (HELO relay.cesmail.net) ([192.168.1.81]) by

c60.cesmail.net with ESMTP; 13 Sep 2006 16:23:29 -0400

What's exactly "unknown" here? Shouldn't spamcop systems know each other?

• 4 weeks later...
Note: the Received: from in header #5 is your SpamCop email user name
In my case (using OE6), it is recording the machine name, which I understand OE6 typically uses in its HELO greeting. And I couldn't get OE6's SSL to work with it. Other than that, it works just great!

It's working again. Looks like it was only out for a couple of hours, if that.

OK, this is back intermittently. It only happens at work, so may be a firewall issue (though the error message leads me to believe the connection was established but failed to authenticate, it does take about as long as a failed TCP connection attempt so maybe that's what's really going on).

I see one A record for smtp.cesmail.net from dig. Is that a round-robin?

It would be helpful to have a list of all the IPs used for that name so we can enable them all in our outbound firewall rules.

OK, this is back intermittently. It only happens at work, so may be a firewall issue (though the error message leads me to believe the connection was established but failed to authenticate, it does take about as long as a failed TCP connection attempt so maybe that's what's really going on).

In other words, more troubleshooting on your end seems to be required.????

I see one A record for smtp.cesmail.net from dig. Is that a round-robin?

Answers exist in another Topic/Discussion, definitely not related to this Beta scenario.

It would be helpful to have a list of all the IPs used for that name so we can enable them all in our outbound firewall rules.

Let me say this, to the best of my knowledge, this software exists on only one server, and that one server is currently answering on 216.154.195.57 .....

Without more troubleshooting, some log data perhaps, I don't see anything here that seems to 'need' an e-mail upstream, much less something to flush out that data request. I like to be able to provided suggested answers when I go upstream and I don't see any possibilities 'here' of trying to sort out your 'intermittent' problems thus far described.

OK, this is back intermittently.

Just noting Jeff's original announcement...

First, all the caveats:

:)

Andrew

Edited by agsteele

• 3 weeks later...

** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY **

** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE **

The original message was received at Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:22:20 +1100

from c60.cesmail.net [216.154.195.49]

----- Transcript of session follows -----

Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours

Will keep trying until message is 5 days old