repeating masseges from SpamCop

mfridman

hi everyone

in the last few days i get - almost every two hours - the following message:

>The original message was received at Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:46:56 +0300

>from ismss-1.biu.ac.il [132.70.84.150]

> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

><nocgma49[at]netvision.net.il>

> (reason: 500 5.7.1 Blocked - see http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?132.70.60.24)

>

> ----- Transcript of session follows -----

> ... while talking to mx20.netvision.net.il.:

> <<< 500 5.7.1 Blocked - see http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?132.70.60.24

> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

what is going on here? needless to say - it is jamming my email box.

how can i fix it?

Thanks

Michael

????? and what exactly makes you say this e-mail "comes from SpamCop.net" ?????

I'd rather suggest that you are receiving something called backscatter .... e-mail sent from point A with a forged From: or Reply-To: address to Point B .. and Point B is then sending a "misdirected Bounce" back to one of those forged addresses, which apparently feeds into your InBox ....

The only thing you provided was the rejection message from Point B as to why they didn't accept the e-mail from the (alleged) sender at Point A ... whoever that was. Your real issue appears to be with the folks at netvision.net.il and their methodology of handling their bounces/rejections .....

Folks here can only work with the data you provide. However, just tossing out a Domain/server name is not the way to do it. You provided 'rejection' details in your first post ... but none of that data references the details you ask about in your next post.

Sorry for the confusion. However, that is all the information

i got. i sent the email from my hotmail account, and i addressed them also...

I addressed you in the first place, since i thought it is something connected with

SpamCop, but i understood it is not. In any case, i'll try to call the guys from

biu or netvision.

Thanks anyway

That IP is listed:

132.70.60.24 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 7 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

It appears this listing is caused by misdirected bounces. We have a FAQ which covers this topic: Why auto-responses are bad (Misdirected bounces). Please read this FAQ and heed the advice contained in it.

Additional potential problems

(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

System administrator has already delisted this system once

Because of the above problems, express-delisting is not available

Listing History

In the past 43 hours, it has been listed 2 times for a total of 37 hours

The ISP for that IP does not care about being listed:

host 132.70.60.24 = tamar.os.biu.ac.il (cached)

host 132.70.60.24 = tamar.os.biu.ac.il (cached)

[report history]

ISP does not wish to receive report regarding 132.70.60.24

ISP does not wish to receive reports regarding http://132.70.60.24/ - no date available

Routing details for 132.70.60.24

[refresh/show] Cached whois for 132.70.60.24 : bamam.forum[at]mail.biu.ac.il

Using last resort contacts bamam.forum[at]mail.biu.ac.il

that server is misconfigured bouncing to inocent parties:

Report History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:07:41 AM -0400:

Returned mail: see transcript for details

1878408115 ( 132.70.60.24 ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Monday, August 14, 2006 9:00:58 AM -0400:

1876259827 ( 132.70.60.24 ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net

Submitted: Monday, August 14, 2006 1:48:01 AM -0400:

1875848883 ( 132.70.60.24 ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net

Submitted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 1:07:26 PM -0400:

1874072471 ( 132.70.60.24 ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net

Submitted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:02:31 AM -0400:

1873819705 ( 132.70.60.24 ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net

Submitted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 1:35:37 PM -0400:

Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours

1870356552 ( 132.70.60.24 ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net

Submitted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:40:10 AM -0400:

1870017558 ( 132.70.60.24 ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net

Submitted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:25:33 PM -0400:

1869534634 ( 132.70.60.24 ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net

ISP=Internet Service Provider, in your case the provider you pay/subscribe to without getting the service you deserve, and/or your money's worth.

PS. If indeed you are a university subscriber your bets are off. Universities are extremly slow at responding to their users, their servers are in general run by students who are at the bottom of a steep learning curve.

hi

thanks for the help, but - how do i get a bew ISP?

what is an ISP anyway?

Google is your friend.

ISP = Internet Service Provider, thepeople you pay money to in order to use the internet and/or e-mail. Yours is clearly not giving you the service you pay for because of their cavalier attitude to spam. I suggest you google around for a better company with a more proactive abuse department.

This might be a good place to start: http://www.iguide.co.il/isp-sum.htm

However all those .ac.il servers suggest that maybe you are a student and your University is your ISP? In that case you can only complain to them!

There are way to many unknowns here for an analysis.

for example, is mfridman reporting spam through spamcop? What message is being bounced? Still haven't see the full header. <Ctrl> U would work for me.

As suggested earlier, working with only some of the information can lead to assumptions sending the trail off in directions that have nothing to do with the original problem. JMHO.

Small point of order here ..... the IP address used this far was found as part of a rejection notice sent in response to e-mail that this user states he/she did not send ... thus suggesting that his/her e-mail address was forged into the From: or Reply-To: fields of that spew.

Of course, I will note that the posting IP address is also from a barak.net.il block, which probably explains the lack of a problem calling the other ISPs, but .... I'm still thinking that this discussion got a bit off track ....

As far as looking up words .... I started a Glossary eons ago, Dbiel ran with updating it ... Then I added a Dictionary tool, which again, Dbiel and I populated .. both of these are linked to in several places, but the most ovbious would be in the SpamCop FAQ found 'here', liks at the top of this very page .... And we surely can'y overlook the recent addional links to the SpamCopWiki, again a major effort from Dbiel to get populated ....

Archived