Sunk friends web site?

petzl

Finally happened

Received an email from "Bear" bear[at]123.x saying new Bear site and email address

Did get my first name right as a lot of spammers do ?

For me email did not ring a bell. I had never heard of bear site and thinking it spam, reported it (I did not check the link).

To work out that this was not spam I did a google search which the caches show what it was. This is what made it clear that email was not spam (After Ellen contacted me)

Turns out to be a genuine email from a anti-airport expansion group/person which I have concerns about and do get the odd email (about once a year or less from)

straight away "ipowerweb" a domain registrar shut his site down? Been down since Friday

"ipowerweb" claim they had several reports There is only one SpamCop report which is mine (I have sent emails to the abuse desk admitting my erroneous reporting)

I do admit that the email looked spammy and it may be that there were a number of manual spam reports sent from outside of SpamCop (He had only posted 5 during emails the week)

Any ideas on how to better remedy the situation I suspect this is more common than admitted where miss-identfied "legit" email is spam. I have other friends which often send strange emails but I always check address and name (This one threw me off because the return address and site ended in .com, but email came from com.au (telstra 144.140.71.21) which is listed in "dnsbl.sorbs.net" (spamtraps) this again makes me check as there are a lot of false positives with sorbs particualy with spamtraps

(spammers are bouncing email to spamtraps? which suggests not all bounces conform to a standard for them to get listed)

That's a shame that the ISP shut the web site down without investigating further. Probably the other reports were the same as yours - people who didn't recognize the name after a long time (or they went to addresses that had been changed and reassigned).

While I am sorry for "bear" it does point out another hazard for legitimate bulk emailers. *any* unfamiliar email is considered spam so that they need to send emails more frequently or send a confirmation email regularly or before a mailing, if infrequent.

(I know that when I changed my email address, I didn't get all my opt in lists changed or cancelled. At the time, it didn't seem at the top of my priority list, but now I am sorry that I didn't do so)

Also, it used to be the rule for reporters "when in doubt, report" Now, perhaps, it should be "when in doubt, leave it out" There are fewer and fewer uce from people selling /real/ items so, perhaps, it is worth an email to find out or explain good mailing practices before reporting (a copy can also go to the ISP so that if you don't get a reasonable answer, they know why you are reporting).

Miss Betsy

Over zealous SpamCop reporting, as a “knee-jerk reaction”

should be punishable by 20 lashes and stoning in the public

square. Boy, you really are a “dumb donkey”, that confirms

the harm that unthinking SpamCop fanatics can/do cause.

It also points out there are stupid/inconsiderate ISPs that

follow SpamCop listings as if they were "the gospel according

to SpamCop" and follow them unquestioningly and on "faith".

It all ends up with SpamCop being a farce to legitimate ISPs.

Although this was a reporter error, it was the ISP who canceled the account that had the knee jerk reaction. If the ISP had investigated properly, and if the ISP had contacted the reporter, there was no need to cancel the account at all.

Also do you object to the scrutiny that one has to go through to use a check at a retailer? I hate every time I have to produce an ID. I am an honest person and I resent being treated as a criminal. And I can remember when one didn't have to do that. In fact, there are merchants who still will trust their judgment for an honest person.

So why do you get so bent out of shape over the same kind of minor inconvenience due to spam prevention? At least with spamcop there are human beings involved who can correct errors instead of content filters which, like all 'bots can't correct mistakes.

Miss Betsy

Over zealous SpamCop reporting, as a “knee-jerk reaction”

In my defense the email was from Bear? advising that "Bear site and email" updated? Would you not believe this to be spam?

Before this the Email's were from a full first Last Name with a familiar email address never heard it called Bear site before?

The Registrars claimed that there were several complaints? Only one came from SpamCop (mine) People do still (I suppose) report outside SpamCop and there would be those that want this site down?

The webpage is up I believe because of pressure from SpamCop It is a problem where a Airport is ever increasing (Now southern hemispheres largest and growing) with all sorts of loons allowed to crash into local houses regularly also an unchecked drinking Pilot problem!! I know "Kevin" is a good guy and would never spam.

unchecked drinking Pilot problem

That's too funny, bringing back some memories ... One of my tours in Germany, the usual "group" motorcycle ride was "two towns, then first gasthause on the left" .. toss in a beer or two ... slow riders got faster, fast rider eventually slowed down ... young and stupid <g>

But, a friend and I chatting and tossing a few one day, recalled that it was about "now" that there was a motorcycle race out at the airport "last" year, and neither one of us could recall seeing any advertising for it "this" year ... so, what the hey ... called for a ride out to the airport to see what we could find out ...

Hit the bar there, found out we'd missed the event by a couple of weeks ... but in shooting the breeze with other "consumers" of the beverage of good times .. we were amazed to find out that pilots were doing much the same thing thing ... pick an airport, make the trip, and knock back a few while waiting for the rest of the pack to show up ...

And of course, both bikers and pilots thinking the others were nuts <g>

And of course, both bikers and pilots thinking the others were nuts  :D

Germans no sense of humor :P

Another advantage of learning to "fly" in Australia is cost. The booze here is great quality as two Belgium Pilots found out crashing their Aircraft in a poor sods driveway (Camden) while he was refueling his boat!! Killed his dog Dwain though (springer spaniel)

I often see these low life flying hoons at gum tree level

Truth be told, I have some fine memories of a place outside of Alice Springs ... bunch of mates downtown .. 'on the dole' as they called it .. actually, now that I think about it, those memories might be just a bit clouded, now that you mention it <g>

Archived