Should I report?

diburning

I have been receiving spam on my hotmail account. I am assuming that someone stole my email address and signed up for stuff.

I've been getting spam that said that it was CAN-spam compliant. IT also said to reply with "remove me" to stop the emails.

Well, I have replied with "remove me" but all of the emails bounced.

Seems very suspicious so should I report?

The only thing you accomplish by replying to spam, or clicking on "remove" or "unsubscribe" links, is letting the spammer know that your email address is valid, and that you read spam. Never reply to a spam message.

The aptly name (You) CAN-spam act is irrelevant. If you did not consent to receive these messages, then they should be reported.

I have been receiving spam on my hotmail account. I am assuming that someone stole my email address and signed up for stuff.

Not knowing how "unique" you account name is, there are many, many ways for your e-mail address to be picked up, generated, stolen, etc.

I've been getting spam that said that it was CAN-spam compliant.

And was it?

IT also said to reply with "remove me" to stop the emails.

Well, I have replied with "remove me" but all of the emails bounced.

Hmmm, apparently not ....

Seems very suspicious so should I report?

Without seeing it, hard to say 100% .. but based on your description, gee, the spammer lied.

my username was very random. letter and numbers

But as Wazoo said that could have been randomly generated by a computer, 'stolen' from another person's address book, 'stolen' from your own Email program, found somewhere on the web and then used, purchased from someone you've done business with etc.

The short answer to your question is that regardless of how the spammer obtained your address, if you did not consent to receive the junk Email then it is perfectly OK to report it.

Take a look at this FAQ item on what you can (& cannot) report: http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/14.html

Andrew

Archived