I don't know what SpamCopDNSBL is

lwayno

I am getting similar responses to stefi. My problem is that I use my computer and email especially for work. I am getting blocked from responding to questions from my customers. Please note that these are replies that are getting blocked not original emails.

Is spam cop something that individual users or companies are installing, or is it something that other hosts and ISP's are using?

Can I just call my customer up and tell him that he should uninstall it if he wants to get emails from me?

Is spam cop something that individual users or companies are installing, or is it something that other hosts and ISP's are using?

Both

Can I just call my customer up and tell him that he should uninstall it if he wants to get emails from me?

You can try, but most ISPs and companies that use it find it highly effective in blocking spam. Your best bet is to try to correct whatever problem is causing you to get listed. If you can provide the rejection message that you are getting here, we can help you track down just what is causing the listing.

I am getting similar responses to stefi.

Much appreciated that you chose to look around before posting. That's good.

However, the "getting similar messages" statement without providing any of "yours" implies that you are receiving the "same" messages, such that the same ISPs would be involved. I am suspecting that this is not the case, so have split your query out from stefi's and made your posting stand on its own.

Posting about "your" issue but not providing "your data" is bad ....

My problem is that I use my computer and email especially for work. I am getting blocked from responding to questions from my customers. Please note that these are replies that are getting blocked not original emails.

Original, replies, forwards, whatever .... the storyline goes that the e-mail server your e-mail is leaving from has allegedly made it's way in to the SpamCopDNSBL. Not necessarily a problem, but your outgoing e-mail then hits a receiving ISP's e-mail server that has been configured to use the SpamCopDNSBL in a blocking mode/fashion. Not because it's your e-mail, but rather that spam/spew has been seen coming from that server, and the desire for that Receiving ISP is to protect its users from all that spam.

The fact that you received a rejection notice is a niceity in that some ISPs simply drop this stuff on the ground, so that no one knows that the e-mail didn't get delivered.

You seem to have chosen to ignore the SpamCop FAQ links at the top of this page, the Start here before your first post link ... so how about trying this one .... What is SpamCop.net?

PM sent to advise of the split/Move ...

Is spam cop something that individual users or companies are installing, or is it something that other hosts and ISP's are using? Can users make an allowed list?

There is nothing to install. For the most part, mail administrators setup blocklists on the server. SpamCop is one of those blocklists. In some instances, users can make an allowed list, but that, again, would be up to the mail administrator.

You can call them and ask them if they like receiveing thousands of spam messages along with your message. It is up to them whether they want to deal with a company that is associated with a server that is sending spam to the internet community.

It would be better to find out WHY you are being blocked before more blocklists add your server to their lists. Spamcop is forgiving (blocking only while spam runs are under way), other lists are not. If you wish to pursure this point, please supply the IP of the server you belive is on Spamcop's list or a copy of the bounce mesage you are receiveing (which SHOULD include that IP address).

If you can provide the rejection message that you are getting here, we can help you track down just what is causing the listing.

Here is the message that I am getting:

The original message was received at Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:50:42 -0500 from wsip-68-99-158-210.ri.ri.cox.net [68.99.158.210]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <BobDiaz[at]InterimHealthCare.com>

(reason: 553 5.3.0 spam blocked see: http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.113.130.215)

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to mail.interimhealthcare.com.:

>>> MAIL From:<lerario[at]nutmegtechnologies.com>

<<< 553 5.3.0 spam blocked see: http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.113.130.215

501 5.6.0 Data format error

While I'm handling the first post, splitting it out and making it stand as a "new Topic" ... user decides to do the same thing with a "new post" .....

Both Topics now merged into the one I created ... PM had just been sent about that Topic so that's the Topic ID number that stays ... Replies are from both 'conversations' .. duplicate 'starting' post removed.

Primarily the latter. The server admins at ISPs configure their mail servers to make use of various tools (such as "SpamAssassin") or blocklists (such as SpamCop's and many others). However, they should *also* enable end-users to allow (or "whitelist") mail from specific senders. If you're sending from a system that gets frequently (or even occasionally) listed on blocklists, then you ought to consider a different route/method of sending email.

DT

Following the link given in the rejection message:

66.113.130.215 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 5 hours.

Causes of listing

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

It appears this listing is caused by misdirected bounces. We have a FAQ which covers this topic: Why auto-responses are bad (Misdirected bounces). Please read this FAQ and heed the advice contained in it.

That pretty much answers the question. Your mailserver is misconfigured to bounce spam back to innocent third parties. You need to talk to whoever is in charge of this server and get them to fix it to behave correctly. If this is your home, then your ISP would be the ones to talk to. If it is a business, then your IT department should be able to correct the issue.

Primarily the latter. The server admins at ISPs configure their mail servers to make use of various tools (such as "SpamAssassin") or blocklists (such as SpamCop's and many others). However, they should *also* enable end-users to allow (or "whitelist") mail from specific senders. If you're sending from a system that gets frequently (or even occasionally) listed on blocklists, then you ought to consider a different route/method of sending email.

Thanks for the advice, but since this is done through my job I have no say in what ISP, or host is used.

Does anyone know if there is any simple way to tell spamcop that we do not send spam then they can check for themselves. Do they even check, or is it just a chance you take if you ask for read responses, or use an out of office notification that you will be blocked?

I have already lost a couple of hours to reading FAQ's for spamcop and I am more lost than ever.

Thanks, if I am still having the problem tomorrow I'll look at this again.

Here is the message that I am getting:

The original message was received at Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:50:42 -0500 from wsip-68-99-158-210.ri.ri.cox.net [68.99.158.210]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <BobDiaz[at]InterimHealthCare.com>

(reason: 553 5.3.0 spam blocked see: http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.113.130.215)

<snip>

...Thank you for posting that. Next step: you should follow the hyperlink that's included there.

...When you do so, you will see that one of your ISP's or e-mail provider's server (IP address 66.113.130.215) and others in the "neighborhood" (which often means other servers "owned" by your ISP or e-mail provider) have been reported as being spam sources. If you follow the link there labeled "Trace IP," you will see a line that reads "ISP does not wish to receive reports regarding http:/ /66.113.130.215/ ." This means that your service provider is not being alerted to the spam reports, by their own request.

Thanks for the advice, but since this is done through my job I have no say in what ISP, or host is used.
...You or someone in your business do have some say (certainly more than those of us who are victims or potential victims of the spam spewed by the ISP) over whether you are receiving the service for which you paid (delivery of your e-mail to your customers).
Does anyone know if there is any simple way to tell spamcop that we do not send spam then they can check for themselves. Do they even check, or is it just a chance you take if you ask for read responses, or use an out of office notification that you will be blocked?
...If such a capability existed, it would not be fair to those of us who are victims and potential victims of the spam coming from your ISP. SpamCop does not check each and every report; what they do is use an algorithm to determine whether to include the IP address in the list. This algorithm includes various information such as total amount of e-mail seen coming from that address and the number of spam reported. One single report can not get an IP address listed. For more information, please see SpamCop FAQ entry entitled "What is on the list?"
I have already lost a couple of hours to reading FAQ's for spamcop and I am more lost than ever.<snip>
...Thank you for taking the time to do that! First, let me offer the names of the three FAQ articles I think of most relevance to you (in no particular order):
  • How does SpamCop reporting work?
  • Why am I Blocked?
  • Cost of spam

If there's something there that you don't understand, please post back here with questions.

...A bit of unsolicited advice: relying on e-mail for business operations is not, in my view, a good practice. E-mail is not now nor has it ever been nor is it ever likely to be a guaranteed-delivery mechanism. It would be best to ensure that there are alternative means of communication between a business and its customers. You may wish to bring this up with the management of your business.

...Thank you for posting that. Next step: you should follow the hyperlink that's included there.

...When you do so, you will see that one of your ISP's or e-mail provider's server (IP address 66.113.130.215) and others in the "neighborhood" (which often means other servers "owned" by your ISP or e-mail provider) have been reported as being spam sources. If you follow the link there labeled "Trace IP," you will see a line that reads "ISP does not wish to receive reports regarding http:/ /66.113.130.215/ ." This means that your service provider is not being alerted to the spam reports, by their own request.

does that mean that i am just out of luck unless i can get get someone from my work to talk to our email host and convince them to change the way that they do business?

That's unfortunate, because from what I've just seen, the main problem is the host for "nutmegtechnologies.com" -- Hostway.com. When checking the IP address from your error message in the SpamCop database, one finds the following:

ISP does not wish to receive report regarding 66.113.130.215

However, there are multiple manual reports of crap (spam) coming from that server, as well as "spamtrap hits" (messages delivered to secret addresses that shoudn't have anything sent to them). That server is not well managed, IMO, and your company should find better hosting ASAP if they want to be able to consistently deliver mail to the rest of the world.

But, if there's no way to move the operation to a better host (one that provides you with a dedicated "sending" IP address, for example, rather than a shared sending IP for the whole server), then you'll need to work directly with the intended recipients of the messages that bounce back, to see if they can "whitelist" your messages. You'll need to call them on the phone (or send email using a Yahoo/Hotmail/etc. account) and alert them to the problem. The blocking is being done at *their* end, by whomever adminsters their email servers.

DT

does that mean that i am just out of luck unless i can get get someone from my work to talk to our email host and convince them to change the way that they do business?
Unfortunately, with a large hosting company such as Hostway, an individual hosting customer isn't likely to get them to fix things like this. The best solution is to move to a responsible host. However, I've already mentioned that you have another option...communicating with the intended recipients of the failed email deliveries to see if they can do something on *their* end to enable delivery.

DT

But your server IS sending spam. Below is the first page of evidence seen and reported by SpamCop users:

Report History: 

Don't Display UUBE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submitted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 1:09:44 PM -0400: 
Returned mail: see transcript for details 
1911573869 ( 66.113.130.215 ) ( UUBE ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submitted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:17:44 PM -0400: 
1911493445 ( 66.113.130.215 ) ( UUBE ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net 

Submitted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 1:12:29 AM -0400: 
07 Sep 2006 gave up "SN" 
1910695148 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com 
1910695147 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: postmaster[at]hostway.com 
1910695142 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: support[at]hostway.com 
1910695135 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: abuse[at]hostway.com 

Submitted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 1:12:24 AM -0400: 
Re: 
1910695293 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com 
1910695290 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: postmaster[at]hostway.com 
1910695289 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: support[at]hostway.com 
1910695286 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: abuse[at]hostway.com 

Submitted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:44:55 PM -0400: 
you free 
1909985432 ( [url="http://www.xoap.superbuymyzone.org/fo/"]http://www.xoap.superbuymyzone.org/fo/[/url] ) To: abuse[at]pajo.com 
1909985431 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com 
1909985430 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: postmaster[at]hostway.com 
1909985428 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: support[at]hostway.com 
1909985425 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: abuse[at]hostway.com 

Submitted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:01:26 AM -0400: 
prestige replicas avail 
1909683035 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com 
1909683034 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: postmaster[at]hostway.com 
1909683033 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: support[at]hostway.com 
1909683031 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: abuse[at]hostway.com 

Submitted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 11:03:41 PM -0400: 
1908930581 ( 66.113.130.215 ) ( UUBE ) To: uube[at]devnull.spamcop.net 

Submitted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 7:51:09 PM -0400: 
Get rid of the pounds you hate 
1909019792 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com 
1909019789 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: postmaster[at]hostway.com 
1909019786 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: support[at]hostway.com 
1909019784 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: abuse[at]hostway.com 

Submitted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 7:49:26 PM -0400: 
We cure any desease! 
1908820134 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com 
1908820116 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: postmaster[at]hostway.com 
1908820098 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: support[at]hostway.com 
1908820069 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: abuse[at]hostway.com 

Submitted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 2:11:11 PM -0400: 
what time 
1908820468 ( [url="http://www.mbvc.artofbetterlife.org/t6/"]http://www.mbvc.artofbetterlife.org/t6/[/url] ) To: abuse[at]cox.net 
1908820453 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com 
1908820443 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: postmaster[at]hostway.com 
1908820432 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: support[at]hostway.com 
1908820419 ( 66.113.130.215 ) To: abuse[at]hostway.com 

Or find an alternate server to send your messages. The current server is sending junk all over the place.

...That's one of several alternatives. Another is to convince the person at work who is the decision maker that your business can not afford to have your e-mails go undelivered due to your ISP's negligence so that they change ISPs (actually, that same argument applies to trying to get your ISP to fix its ways). Another is to acquire another e-mail service temporarily, such as SneakEmail or HotMail. Another is to run your own e-mail service, although that will require purchasing some expertise at setting up and operating such a service.

...Good luck!

I am not technical, so I'll just take your word for it that all of what you put on there is proof that the server (not my server I just work for a company that contracted a site host in good faith). I will give all of this to the owners of my company thanks for giving it to me.

BTW do you work for spamcop? How did you get all of this information?

BTW do you work for spamcop? How did you get all of this information?

Forum FAQ - Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff User Guide

SpamCopWiki - SpamCop Staff (needs an update <g>)

A paid-account type individual has access to a bit of 'report history' .. (I can't even do it as I'm only a free-reporting account holder) ... however, full details can only be gathered up by the actual paid employess, which are but a very few ...

Archived