CUPS Driver for Compaq A1500

mrmaxx

I was recently given a Compaq A1500 multi-function device. I would like to use it to print from my linux box, but I can't seem to get it to work. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried to set it up, but it's just not working.

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...055XZC?v=glance has a number of other folks mentioning that it doen't work under Windows either <g>

Game plan I'd try to use ... to my knowledge, COMPAQ never actually made printers. ha Amazon aritcle dates back to 2000, prior to the HP-COMPAQ merger .. so that complicates things a bit. The approach is to somehow discover just "who" made the printer and go for the drivers of the same printer under that name.

Example goes way back to my Apple II days .... printing out an inverntory list, the printhead got hot enough to melt the glue around the 'crystal' piece that held the impact pins in place. Apple wouldn't sell to me directly, two Apple dealers would be glad to replace/repair the printer, just bring it on on (of course, they'd also run diagnosics, tune it up, etc. etc. etc. at something like $45 U.S. an hour at the time) .... I found one guy in a service department that had two printheads in his toolbox, but they were reserved for his "contracted support" folks, but he'd be glad to order one for me for only $155 U.S. with an estimated two week delivery time (followed by: just drop the printer off ....)

Ended up hitting a C.Itoh disributer that had dozens in stock, only $45 U.S., and no problem with me zipping on down and picking one up. Picked up two, rewrote the code to put in a few "breather spaces" in the print job ... still have the second as a spare, all these years later <g>

Point being that the Apple Imagewriter I and II were actually C.Itoh printers in a different case (and Apple ROMS) ....Your COMPAQ printer may actually be an HP, NEC, ?????

Point being that the Apple Imagewriter I and II were actually C.Itoh printers in a different case (and Apple ROMS) ....Your COMPAQ printer may actually be an HP, NEC, ?????

Yeah... I think that since it uses Lexmark cartridges it's probably a Lexmark re-branded with the Compaq label. I just wish I knew what the model number crosses-over to on the Lexmark side, as there may actually be support for the Lexmark version. :-)

Oh, well... if it won't work with linux, it won't work, and I'll just use it for sending the occasional fax. :-)

I'd start with the manufactured date .. hit the LexMark site (and based on the other descriptions that it's out of production) hit the older (obsolete) units and see if you can find one that matches the capabilities and specs ...

I'm admitting that I've not done any research on Lexmark printers and CUPS drivers yet, so not sure if that's even a waste of time ..... ????

I'd start with the manufactured date .. hit the LexMark site (and based on the other descriptions that it's out of production) hit the older (obsolete) units and see if you can find one that matches the capabilities and specs ...

I'm admitting that I've not done any research on Lexmark printers and CUPS drivers yet, so not sure if that's even a waste of time ..... ????

Lexmark has a "Linux Driver Kit" but it's apparently not a complete solution, and I'm not a programmer, so... *shrug* I emailed Lexmark support in hopes that they can direct me to an existing linux driver for the equivalent Lexmark product...

Archived