New Webmail Launched

jefft

The new webmail system is now live. Please use only the webmail.spamcop.net URL, not the old beta site.

Please use this thread for comments on the new system. I'd like to start over on comments, so if you see issues with the new system put them here, even if you put them in the older thread, too.

Thanks

JT

Known Problems

I'm going to try to keep a running list of known issues here. If your issue appears in this list and you have new information to add, please post. Otherwise, understand that we're already aware and maybe working on your problem.

• Release doesn't actually release messages FIXED
  • Frequent logins required
  • Preview of MS Word documents broken FIXED

Known Issues

• Safari users will probably want to horizontally expand their browser window

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please use this thread for comments on the new system. I'd like to start over on comments, so if you see issues with the new system put them here, even if you put them in the older thread, too.

I still need to login every time I return to the site. I have opened a problem report on this as well.

Previously, with the old system, my login credentials were saved as long as my IE window stayed open and I could return as often as needed. The new systen requires me to login each time or devote a window to webmail, which can be taken over depending on how I open other new windows. You had mentioned thinking it was cookie related during the Beta.

I check my email at least each hour and this is a pain I put up with for the Beta. I hope it can be resolved.

:( I have a HUGE problem with the message viewing...I don't like the drop down feature when touching the message or the subject line. I disengaged from the Beta cuz of this, it's just way too distracting as well as irritating.

I'm perfectly capable of reading the senders address in the header. I don't need to see it again in that "thing" now. I don't need to see the same subject 'dropped' down again when I hit the subject. I was prefectly capable of striking my enter key to view a message.

If this can be changed in the "Option" section, please tell me how. I've just spent a very frustrating 30 minutes - not being able to change that feature.

Thanks

FAC :(

I still need to login every time I return to the site. I have opened a problem report on this as well.

Previously, with the old system, my login credentials were saved as long as my IE window stayed open and I could return as often as needed. The new systen requires me to login each time or devote a window to webmail, which can be taken over depending on how I open other new windows. You had mentioned thinking it was cookie related during the Beta.

I check my email at least each hour and this is a pain I put up with for the Beta. I hope it can be resolved.

:( Yes, I also have this same constant "login" problem. I guess I didn't stay in the Beta long enough to notice it. I check my mail almost as often & sometimes I have to login in the same tab & sometimes for some reason, the login begins a new tab.

I sure hope all problems can be solved.

Thank you

FAC :(

Message viewing is a vast improvement for me. Japanese is now viewable without requiring a change in the browser's character coding with every page change! (Actually it was just brain dead before. Now it works like it should.) Thanks.

Richard

I'm not sure this is a new or an old problem (or a problem with the browser), but I received an email from a Mac and I'm reading it on my Mac and there is a PDF file that is in the email as an attachment. There is a box that says

This message contains a Macintosh file.

The Macintosh resource fork can be downloaded
<link removed>
HERE.

The contents of the Macintosh file are below.

When I select the <link removed> HERE link, a new windows comes up and asks me if I want to open the file with Preview (the Mac's PDF viewer program), when I say "Okay" I get a message that says "File error. Couldn't open the file."

I'm not sure if that's new or it's always worked that way.

I think what's happening is that the file isn't getting downloaded to the mac so the Preview program can look at the file. I've tried it using the standard Safari browser and the Firefox browser and the behaviour is the same on both browsers.

Again I'm not sure if this is a new or an old problem as I just noticed it. It's not a big deal since I usually retreive email from spamcop to my local machine and then look at it.

Moderator Edit: Links removed as it appeared to possibly be private (?) No actual idea, as I only got to a login screen, but ... rather than tempt fate ....

Check your prefenences on the MAC (are you running the new Intel & OS X.4.something?). Also &/or try to download to the Desktop, then either double click to open with Preview or drag the file to the Acrobat Reader icon.

Good luck. (I also use Firefox & have an Intel iMAC...that I'm trying to learn).

I'm not sure this is a new or an old problem (or a problem with the browser), but I received an email from a Mac and I'm reading it on my Mac and there is a PDF file that is in the email as an attachment. There is a box that says

This message contains a Macintosh file.

The Macintosh resource fork can be downloaded
<link removed>
HERE.

The contents of the Macintosh file are below.

I'm curious at this point about just what is being seen/contained that would cause a Linux system to offer up a notification that a 'resource file' existed .. expecially based on your (implied) description that the attachment was simply a file named xxxxx.pdf ....????? There may be more to the story (attachment) than what's stated here ... have you talked to the sender of that e-mail to find out exactly what was actually sent / how the PDF was created?

When I select the <link removed> HERE link, a new windows comes up and asks me if I want to open the file with Preview (the Mac's PDF viewer program), when I say "Okay" I get a message that says "File error. Couldn't open the file."

I'm not sure if that's new or it's always worked that way.

I think what's happening is that the file isn't getting downloaded to the mac so the Preview program can look at the file. I've tried it using the standard Safari browser and the Firefox browser and the behaviour is the same on both browsers.

I'll agree, as I wouldn't expect the Horde/IMP application to try to 'stream' the file to you ... would rather believe that it's actually trying to do a download, and your "preview" mode isn't speaking the right language for that to happen.

Again I'm not sure if this is a new or an old problem as I just noticed it. It's not a big deal since I usually retreive email from spamcop to my local machine and then look at it.

More testing perhaps? Send a PDF from your computer to yourself to possibly rule out something in the sending of 'this' file ... a PDF sent from a Windows/Linus user to totally rule out the chance of an included 'resource' file ...????

Test e-mail sent with an included small PDF file from a Windows machine .. Subject Line: test PDF from a windows machine

I'm sure the new webmail system is very nice, but since I'm unable to access it at all, I can neither comment on it nor report the problem through the link! (Hence this account being registered with my GMail address: I can still access that...)

(Every time I log in, Firefox downloads a file named "webmail.php", after a long delay. Presumably a botched MIME type somewhere?)

Check your prefenences on the MAC (are you running the new Intel & OS X.4.something?). Also &/or try to download to the Desktop, then either double click to open with Preview or drag the file to the Acrobat Reader icon.

Good luck. (I also use Firefox & have an Intel iMAC...that I'm trying to learn).

I'm running a PowerPC Power Mac G5 with OS X 10.4.7. The email has a group of files attached (PDF, and several JPG files). The webmail app makes it look like there is a zip file that surrounds the entire file bunch. I can see the actual source of the file. It looks like this:

--Apple-Mail-33--766178402
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset=US-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

A bunch of text is here

Content-Type: multipart/appledouble;
	boundary=Apple-Mail-34--766178401
Content-Disposition: inline

--Apple-Mail-34--766178401
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Type: application/applefile;
	name=UtilityClosetArea.pdf
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=UtilityClosetArea.pdf

Lots of base 64 code is here. Presumably the PDF file.

--Apple-Mail-34--766178401
Content-Type: application/pdf;
	x-mac-type=50444620;
	x-unix-mode=0644;
	x-mac-creator=4341524F;
	name=UtilityClosetArea.pdf
	filename=UtilityClosetArea.pdf

base 64

--Apple-Mail-34--766178401--

charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed

Content-Type: image/jpeg;
	x-mac-type=4A504547;
	x-unix-mode=0644;
	name=DSC_0125.jpg
	filename=DSC_0125.jpg

several more base 64 jpg pictures

ending with

charset=US-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

some text here.

--Apple-Mail-33--766178402--

I'm not sure where the resource file is in there.

I'm curious at this point about just what is being seen/contained that would cause a Linux system to offer up a notification that a 'resource file' existed .. expecially based on your (implied) description that the attachment was simply a file named xxxxx.pdf ....????? There may be more to the story (attachment) than what's stated here ... have you talked to the sender of that e-mail to find out exactly what was actually sent / how the PDF was created?

I'll agree, as I wouldn't expect the Horde/IMP application to try to 'stream' the file to you ... would rather believe that it's actually trying to do a download, and your "preview" mode isn't speaking the right language for that to happen.

More testing perhaps? Send a PDF from your computer to yourself to possibly rule out something in the sending of 'this' file ... a PDF sent from a Windows/Linus user to totally rule out the chance of an included 'resource' file ...????

Test e-mail sent with an included small PDF file from a Windows machine .. Subject Line: test PDF from a windows machine

I got your email and sent you a reply. It didn't say anything about a resource file. When I clicked on the PDF file in the test message it came up and the Preview program was able to see it.

I'm the one that sent the original email. It was a CC that I sent myself and it ended up on spamcop from one of my POP3 machines. I sent it using Apple's email program. I put in some of the information in a reply above, but it may not be enough. The PDF was created with Adobe Illustrator.

I don't see a specific file that was sent as a "resource file".

It looks fine on the Mac, but shows some extra boxes on the Spamcop webmail app.

I also tried to see if Safari (Apple's web browser) worked better, but I get the same behavior on Safari (same resource fork stuff and Preview comes back with no file error).

BTW. The webmail interface doesn't look so good on Safari. In Safari, after I login, I see icons but no buttons at the top of the screen. If I select a few icons, the bottom part of the buttons get redrawn and I can see them, but it doesn't look like the old interface. Ahhh, I just figured out that if you widen the window, it looks correct. There is something different about how the buttons get moved around on the page when the window is narrower than it needs to be.

All the browsers have the same behavior when the window is too narrow, but Safari just messes up the buttons and icons in a different way than the other browsers.

Tell me if I can help by sending you anything. This is not a show stopper for me, I just thought I'd let you know.

I think I need to go to bed now, I don't think I'm making sense anymore.

The webmail app makes it look like there is a zip file that surrounds the entire file bunch. I can see the actual source of the file. It looks like this:

http://instantbadger.blogspot.com/2006/08/...-applemail.html

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=imp&m=...8219013&w=2

Could go on .. this is a very popular complaint as it turns out ....

(note to JT, the second link specifically calls out Horde/IMP <g>)

Hi,

I also opened already a problem report:

With the new system I am no longer able to import CSV files into my webmail address book. I just deleted all my addresses there (as I did several times in the past) and tried to re-import all my addresses from an CSV file (this is because I have the actual data in another system...).

When I now click on "Next" only an empy screen is presented and nothing ever happens.

Any idea? Thanks!

Michael

Moderator Edit: extracted from the ancient Topic/Discussion this was posted in to at Whitelist based on subjects .... which seems obvious that there's no connection between that subject matter and this post ....???? [it wasn't posted there, I fumbled it trying to move it. Not for nothing am I known as 'good old conception-fingers' - Farelf]

As the "new webmail" is invoked, this should have theoretically been placed into the "new webmail" Topic in the "SpamCop E-Mail Account Help" Forum anyway ....???? .. moving it there ..

Hello Spamcop:

PC No.1 is running Linux/debian/Sarge & Firefox;

PC No.2 is running Win98SE & Firefox; and

PC No.3 is running WinXPHE & Mozilla.

None of them will access webmail from the new Login page, whether

I use the automatic fillin feature of Mozilla/Firefox or whether I type

in my username and password directly. The "loading" icon just spins

for a while and then stops. PC No.2 does a little better - a new page

loads, but it is blank.

PC's No.1 & 2 are behind a SmoothWall.org hardware firewall.

PC No.3 is connected through just a LinkSys router; the others

also go through the router.

Langford

Yes, lots of complaints about having to login over and over. This is probably the #1 issue at this time. I can tell you that it's set up to use persistent session cookies. I made a change last night and another a few minutes ago trying to correct this but I'm not sure if it will help or not.

Everyone please be patient, by the way. I want to get everything resolved, but there is only so much time and all the normal day-to-day stuff still needs to get handled. This isn't even the only system enhancement that's going on, there's other stuff in the background being improved and updated.

JT

If I'm reading messages and want to report one as spam, a pop-up box appears "Do you want to report this message as spam?" This happens every time. Is there some setting which will make the pop-up go away (or is some cookie not set correctly?). I tried to report this through the Problem link at the top, but after the message disappeared, it suggested that there was an error sending it!

Ahhh, I just figured out that if you widen the window, it looks correct. There is something different about how the buttons get moved around on the page when the window is narrower than it needs to be.
This issue was covered in the forum discussion surrounding the webmail beta testing, here:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6849

The best advice is for Mac folks to widen their window until all the buttons "behave."

DT

Hello Spamcop:

PC No.1 is running Linux/debian/Sarge & Firefox;

PC No.2 is running Win98SE & Firefox; and

PC No.3 is running WinXPHE & Mozilla.

None of them will access webmail from the new Login page, whether

I use the automatic fillin feature of Mozilla/Firefox or whether I type

in my username and password directly. The "loading" icon just spins

for a while and then stops. PC No.2 does a little better - a new page

loads, but it is blank.

PC's No.1 & 2 are behind a SmoothWall.org hardware firewall.

PC No.3 is connected through just a LinkSys router; the others

also go through the router.

Langford

I'm seeing some server/database errors, mostly on logout:

A fatal error has occurred

Could not connect to database for SQL SessionHandler.

Details have been logged for the administrator.

They are browser independent, and because they happen on the way out, I can't use the built-in problem reporging function.

DT

None of them will access webmail from the new Login page, whether I use the automatic fillin feature of Mozilla/Firefox or whether I type in my username and password directly.

Are you trying the "http" or the "https" version of the login URL? Either way, dump all your caches, history etc., do full restarts and try again and report back. I'm on a WinXP(HomeSP2) using Firefox (and IE, just to test), behind a Linksys router, and am having no problems logging in. The use of the automatic fill-in shouldn't have any effect whatsoever.

DT

DT offered:

>Are you trying the "http" or the "https" version of the login URL? Either way, dump all your caches, history etc., do full restarts and try again and report back. I'm on a WinXP(HomeSP2) using Firefox (and IE, just to test), behind a Linksys router, and am having no problems logging in. The use of the automatic fill-in shouldn't have any effect whatsoever.

Nope; I cleared everything in Firefox - history, passwords, cookies, etc. I then logged out of debian and back in again. No effect. Now 'll try a restart of the PC.

Langford

:( I have a HUGE problem with the message viewing...I don't like the drop down feature when touching the message or the subject line. I disengaged from the Beta cuz of this, it's just way too distracting as well as irritating.

And did you report it during the Beta? I don't recall seeing that problem brought up previously. If not, you can request a change, but please turn down your temper.

I actually like that feature because it only pops up (for me) after about a second of hovering and many times the subject is longer that the space I allow for it.

I'm not sure how or why you're winding up at that URL. I just did a login from the Linux prompt of a web server using Lynx and never encountered that page.

(on edit: Upon inspection of the login page source, I see that the "redirect.php" file is the "action" for the login form, but during all of my logins, I'm not ever seeing that page during the login process. If I load that URL directly, the page looks the same as the normal login page and I'm able to login normally.)

Be sure you're using this URL:

https://webmail.spamcop.net/

DT

DT offered:

>Are you trying the "http" or the "https" version of the login URL? Either way, dump all your caches, history etc., do full restarts and try again and report back. I'm on a WinXP(HomeSP2) using Firefox (and IE, just to test), behind a Linksys router, and am having no problems logging in. The use of the automatic fill-in shouldn't have any effect whatsoever.

Nope; I cleared everything in Firefox - history, passwords, cookies, etc. I then logged out of debian and back in again. No effect. Now 'll try a restart of the PC.

Restarting the PC had no effect either.

When I remarked about a page not loading: https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/redirect.php

DT replied:

> I'm not sure how or why you're winding up at that URL. I just did a login from a web server using Lynx and never encountered that page.

> Be sure you're using this URL: https://webmail.spamcop.net/

I've tried both the http and https versions of the URL ...

Here's where that URL originates in the sourcecode of https://webmail.spamcop.net/

1 <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

2 <!-- IMP: Copyright 2001-2006, The Horde Project. IMP is under the GPL. -->

3 <!-- Horde Project: http://horde.org/ | IMP: http://horde.org/imp/ -->

4 <!-- GNU Public License: http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html -->

5 <html lang="en-US"><head>

... snippage ...

56 <form name="imp_login" action="https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/redirect.php" method="post" target="_parent">

Langford

I sent 6 emails attachments from new spamcop webmail and file size was 2 kb.

I released 6 emails to Thunderbird and sent as attachment and file size was 43 kb.

This is what I am seeing in 2 kb email.

Subject: Fwd: 6 Forwarded Messages

Part(s): Download All Attachments (in .zip file) Download All Attachments (in .zip file)

Headers: Show All Headers

1 unnamed [text/plain] 0.01 KB Download

JP0505

2 unnamed [text/plain] 0.09 KB Download

[Attachment stripped: Original attachment type: "message/rfc822", name: "We cure any desease!"]

3 unnamed [text/plain] 0.08 KB Download

[Attachment stripped: Original attachment type: "message/rfc822", name: "Your Refill"]

4 unnamed [text/plain] 0.08 KB Download

[Attachment stripped: Original attachment type: "message/rfc822", name: "Your Refill"]

5 unnamed [text/plain] 0.08 KB Download

6 unnamed [text/plain] 0.08 KB Download

Archived