New Webmail Launched

jefft

Continuing this research project in the absence of any admins:

When I apply Venkman's java scri_pt Debugger to the URL's

https://webmail.spamcop.net/

and

https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/

I get what look at first glance to be identical sourcecodes, 174 lines of code in each, and yet there is no file called index.htm, index.html, Index.htm, or Index.html at the second URL.

I've even tried using the IP address for webmail.spamcop.net:

https://216.154.195.51/

and https://216.154.195.51/horde/imp/

For the first URL (third in this reply) I get the same 174 lines of code, but for the fourth URL I get (twice):

1 <html>

2 <head><title>Horde :: Fatal Error</title></head>

3 <body style="background:#fff; color:#000"><h1>A fatal error has occurred</h1><h3>Could not connect to database for SQL SessionHandler.</h3><h3>Details have been logged for the administrator.</h3></body>

4 </html>

I'm not very sure about this, but it looks as though there's been a change of server IP address which has not yet propagated through the "system."

Something strange is going on. Here's a quote:

Venkman's java scri_pt Debugger

but what I actually typed and can still see has the "J" in Gavascript capitalized and no underscore between the "i" and the "p." Mebbe that's what always happens when one types out Gavascript in an HTML-coded page. Never mind ...

Langford

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And did you report it during the Beta? I don't recall seeing that problem brought up previously. If not, you can request a change, but please turn down your temper.

I actually like that feature because it only pops up (for me) after about a second of hovering and many times the subject is longer that the space I allow for it.

No I did not report it in Beta...I only went there once, maybe twice and just hoped that others would find it as irritating or as cumbersome as I did or anything that would change it. The feature writes over what is already there making it absolutely impossible to read either. I have a bit of light sensitivity & have my preferences (OS, browser...anywhere I can think of) to mute brightness & colors as well to have all incoming "stuff" convert to my preferences. I don't have any intention of changing what is comfortable just so a new system can run flawless. And Yes it does irritate to the extent similiar if you look into the noon sun for a while- sorry about the anger but it's there, amid the pain of looking at something I don't have to...so how do I go about the change/unless there is a fix for the current system?

If I'm reading messages and want to report one as spam, a pop-up box appears "Do you want to report this message as spam?" This happens every time. Is there some setting which will make the pop-up go away (or is some cookie not set correctly?).

There is no option to get rid of that popup. The old webmail did the same thing.

At the moment, ALL SC email resources seem to be down, including POP, IMAP, and webmail.

Yes, the entire database system crashed. This was supposed to be the new, ultra-reliable database. <sigh>

It's restarting, but that takes several minutes. [update: it's back up but this is amazingly frustrating.]

JT

Cookie / Staying logged in issues:

09/11/06 11:31:23 Browsing http://webmail.spamcop.net/

Fetching http://webmail.spamcop.net/ ...

GET / HTTP/1.1

Host: webmail.spamcop.net

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:31:25 GMT

Server: Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.1.2 mod_ssl/2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.8a

X-Powered-By: PHP/5.1.2

Set-Cookie: Horde=SessionIDmunged; path=/horde; domain=.spamcop.net

Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT

I'd suggest finding the setting for that date, move it to the future .... or kill the line insertion itself?

There is no option to get rid of that popup. The old webmail did the same thing.

Actually, there's a real bug with those popups, at least when you hover you mouse over the links in the items in the "From" column. When I do that, the popup incorrectly states "New message to Actual Name <user[at]somedomain.com>" instead of "New message from ...that's an obvious bug.

(edit: Oops...no it's not....the system is simply telling me what action will be taken if I click on that name or address...see Steven's clarification further down..Duh!)

It's restarting, but that takes several minutes.

It's back up.

edit: and now it's back down!!!! and it's saying down....JT, if you can't get the repeated crashes to stop, you might have to roll back to the previous webmail....

DT

Cookie / Staying logged in issues:

09/11/06 11:31:23 Browsing http://webmail.spamcop.net/

Fetching http://webmail.spamcop.net/ ...

GET / HTTP/1.1

Host: webmail.spamcop.net

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:31:25 GMT

Server: Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.1.2 mod_ssl/2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.8a

X-Powered-By: PHP/5.1.2

Set-Cookie: Horde=SessionIDmunged; path=/horde; domain=.spamcop.net

Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT

I'd suggest finding the setting for that date, move it to the future .... or kill the line insertion itself?

That's supposed to be a session cookie. With an expire of 0 or something like that, it's good as long as your browser is running. I suspect this date isn't really an expiration date.

Caution - don't rely on "new posts" for additions to this topic. People are posting all over the shop, I'm throwing their posts in here and I'm afraid the first few wouldn't even have been advised about the move (they ended up somewhere in the main body "here" which was unexpected).

Caution - don't rely on "new posts" for additions to this topic. People are posting all over the shop
Yes they are, in obvious error, in that this is the first pinned topic in this forum and they aren't reading this clear instruction:

Please use this thread for comments on the new system

Nobody should be responding to those mis-posted items, other than to tell them to participate in the proper topic.

DT

but what I actually typed and can still see has the "J" in Gavascript capitalized and no underscore between the "i" and the "p." Mebbe that's what always happens when one types out Gavascript in an HTML-coded page. Never mind ...

This application made it to the top of the "let's hack this!!" list a number of months ago. As a protective measue, I added in some very heavy-handed hacks to head off some of those hacks/exploits. Some words are replaced entirely, but then they aren't normally used in the target audience/question-answer range of this support Forum .... However, the word scri_pt does come up rather often, so that word remains with the extra character so that it can't be "used" in attack mode ....

That's supposed to be a session cookie. With an expire of 0 or something like that, it's good as long as your browser is running. I suspect this date isn't really an expiration date.

I checked with a number of other "places" that use session cookies (to include right here) .... none use / include an "Expires on:" line in the page code .... I know that in this app, there is a setting for session-timeout .. recall shortening that up a number of moons ago to help reduce the size of the sessions Table ....

My perspective was that the Horde/IMP application was using the session cookie, but some of the browsers were tripping over the "long expired" date in their 'local' copy of their cookie ....

they ended up somewhere in the main body "here" which was unexpected

Ah...maybe you can change the time on them to get them down to the end of this topic?

Speaking of the cookies....during some related testing this morning, I logged into the the https webmail from the shell command line on a Linux webserver using Lynx (text-based browser) and was presented with a series of errors regarding the cert, as well as the pathing of the cookies, etc.

I don't think the old system did that.

edit: here's an example of an error message when connecting to the HTTP login page using Lynx:

Accept invalid cookie path=/horde as a prefix of '/'? (n)

and here's the cert-related error when using the HTTPS url:

SSL error:Can't find common name in certificate-Continue? (y)

DT

Ah...maybe you can change the time on them to get them down to the end of this topic?

That would be pointing at me, as this would have to be done by directly manipulating the database ....

I do note that there are some posts (responses) that appear to be separated from their intended target posts .. coming in late leaves room for much confusion there ... to attempt that "repair" is going to take some time, focus, a few notes, and work .... but I have to note that there a number of new posts showing all over thr Forum that I need to go take a look at before trying to spend that much time right now .... I'll be back <g>

Continuing this research project in the absence of any admins:

When I apply Venkman's java scri_pt Debugger to the URL's

https://webmail.spamcop.net/

and

https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/

I get what look at first glance to be identical sourcecodes, 174 lines of code in each, and yet there is no file called index.htm, index.html, Index.htm, or Index.html at the second URL.

I've even tried using the IP address for webmail.spamcop.net:

https://216.154.195.51/

and https://216.154.195.51/horde/imp/

For the first URL (third in this reply) I get the same 174 lines of code, but for the fourth URL I get (twice):

1 <html>

2 <head><title>Horde :: Fatal Error</title></head>

3 <body style="background:#fff; color:#000"><h1>A fatal error has occurred</h1><h3>Could not connect to database for SQL SessionHandler.</h3><h3>Details have been logged for the administrator.</h3></body>

4 </html>

Now, when I look at the sourcecode at: https://216.154.195.51/horde/imp/ I see 173 lines of code, except that Line 56 reads:

<form name="imp_login" action="https://216.154.195.51/horde/imp/redirect.php" method="post" target="_parent">

and when I try to look at the sourcecode at: https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/ I get the accursed blank page, and when I go to that mysterious URL: https://216.154.195.51/horde/imp/redirect.php I see the same 173 lines of code. I can't tell what's been excised ... but I still can't get past the webmail.spamcop.net login page. I guess I'm looking at a moving target ...

Langford

and when I try to look at the sourcecode at: https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/ I get the accursed blank page
It will probably take someone with more knowledge about the inner workings of Horde to help with your login issue, or direct communication with JT.

DT

Crashed again:

A fatal error has occurred

Could not connect to database for SQL SessionHandler.

Details have been logged for the administrator.

and neither POP nor IMAP are working.

(and it's ANNOYING that IPB appends what was meant to be a new, separate post onto my previous post!)

another edit: back UP again, but who knows how long it will last???

DT

It will probably take someone with more knowledge about the inner workings of Horde to help with your login issue, or direct communication with JT.

Remember, way back when we were programming in BASIC or FORTRAN and we wanted to interchange two variables ? Remember what would happen if we didn't make up a third, dummy variable name to store one of the two when making the switch ? Spamcop [apparently] has a new server with the same name as before, and may even have a new IP address ... I dunno ... just a wild guess.

What worries me is when I look at a Spamcop URL with Venkman's [J]avascript Debugger and it comes up blank as already described. That's how phishers capture login information - its goes right into one of those blanks.

How do I know that I haven't been broadcasting my Spamcop username and password into some hacker's account through one of those Spamcop blank-page URL's ?

Langford

Nobody should be responding to those mis-posted items, other than to tell them to participate in the proper topic.

I just edited the Title/Description to add that note (well, another version, as there's only so much space allowed) such that it could be seen without having to go into the Topic ....

It's ever so obvious that none of the programmers "eat their own dog food" and, as a result we have chaos.

:angry:

Anyone using the online web system to read email and report spam would know the problems the rest of us are experiencing.

I would recommend going back to the original system until the "beta" is fixed.

Constantly logging in, having the reporting page open in a new window everytime we select "Report" from the webmail page and so many other problems make me wonder what's going down.

As a paid subscriber and user of SC from the very beginning, this is one of the worst days I have experienced. Outages, attacks, etc go with the territory, but this seems to be a problem from within. Cato was right.

Actually, there's a real bug with those popups, at least when you hover you mouse over the links in the items in the "From" column. When I do that, the popup incorrectly states "New message to Actual Name <user[at]somedomain.com>" instead of "New message from ...that's an obvious bug.

David,

That popup is telling you what it will do if you click on the link and that verbiage is only seen while you are inside of a message (for any x[at]y text), at least in IE. In the message list, the popup simply repeats the text in the column.

That popup is telling you what it will do if you click on the link and that verbiage is only seen while you are inside of a message (for any x[at]y text), at least in IE. In the message list, the popup simply repeats the text in the column.

Doh! OK, I get it now. It's saying "Click here to send a New Message to X Y <xy[at]somedomain.com>.

However, contrary to your IE (yucch) experience, it's appearing also in the message indexes in both FF and IE (blecch). Wonder why it's not doing that for you? That's odd.

DT

It's back up.

edit: and now it's back down!!!! and it's saying down....JT, if you can't get the repeated crashes to stop, you might have to roll back to the previous webmail....

Regarding popups, on my computer it just shows the name and email address, as if I were looking at the From: line. So, in webmail it normally shows the name only if there is one, otherwise it shows the email address. The popup always shows both. But, it doesn't say anything at all about New message, etc. I wonder what's different. Do you have message previews turned on? I do.

Regarding the database, yes, I agree. Serious problems today and the only thing that has changed is the webmail. We can roll back easily. I'm monitoring things and may do that soon, at least as a test.

JT

I can't view my held mail at all anymore with Camino 1.0.1 or Safari. Camino shows a blank page, and safari claims it was disconnected form the server. This is on OSX 10.4.7.

This probloem went away when I deleted some held mail. With 59 messages in held mail I can open it in Camino. 235 was too many.

I set my prefs to open held mail on login. Since the display process failed utterly, the "report problem" link was also unavailable to me.

That would be pointing at me, as this would have to be done by directly manipulating the database ....

I do note that there are some posts (responses) that appear to be separated from their intended target posts .. coming in late leaves room for much confusion there ... to attempt that "repair" is going to take some time, focus, a few notes, and work .... but I have to note that there a number of new posts showing all over thr Forum that I need to go take a look at before trying to spend that much time right now .... I'll be back <g>

No, please don't edit the forum database. It's not worth that. It will all get figured out in the end. :)

Doh! OK, I get it now. It's saying "Click here to send a New Message to X Y <xy[at]somedomain.com>.

However, contrary to your IE (yucch) experience, it's appearing also in the message indexes in both FF and IE (blecch). Wonder why it's not doing that for you? That's odd.

There's a preference setting that selects whether clicking on that address creates a new mail or opens the mail you're clicking on. The latter is the default.

JT

Regarding popups, on my computer it just shows the name and email address, as if I were looking at the From: line. (snip) But, it doesn't say anything at all about New message, etc. I wonder what's different. Do you have message previews turned on? I do.

I'm seeing the "New Message to" prepended in the popups even when I'm in the folder index. Here are my preview settings:

Enable message previews 100 characters

Strip linebreaks

Show previews for unread messages only

(but not "Show previews in tooltips?")

In any case, I was being thick-headed, so the popup verbage is fine.

DT

It's ever so obvious that none of the programmers "eat their own dog food" and, as a result we have chaos.

:angry:

Anyone using the online web system to read email and report spam would know the problems the rest of us are experiencing.

I would recommend going back to the original system until the "beta" is fixed.

Constantly logging in, having the reporting page open in a new window everytime we select "Report" from the webmail page and so many other problems make me wonder what's going down.

As a paid subscriber and user of SC from the very beginning, this is one of the worst days I have experienced. Outages, attacks, etc go with the territory, but this seems to be a problem from within. Cato was right.

Actually, I personally have been using this system pretty much exclusively for a couple of months. We opened a limited beta test a month ago, announced only in this forum. And, a week or so ago we asked for testers on the front page. Sorry about the issues, but we did try to wring things out before going live.

JT

Archived