Peru blacklist needed

proski

There has been a surge of spam penetrating the blacklists and ending up in my mailbox. The most common type of spam is in Spanish. The hallmark of the spam is "publicidad" in the subject, possibly modified to avoid filtering.

All reports go to addresses ending with .pe, which is the domain of Peru. The spammer even leaves his or here address and telephone number:

Pt

NO?;;retirarlistaa [at] yahoo . es;;

telf 4_5 21,7-50 - ;;siemprellegaa [at] yahoo . es;;

Arenas A -T a q u.i ta hu , ana 123 lima 3 2

I don't know why other blacklists fail to catch this spam. I guess the spammer uses different relays all the time.

I have all blacklist filters enabled except list.dsbl.org and dnsbl.sorbs.net (both contributed to false positives in the past), plus I have several entries in the personal blacklist, I'm getting more spam in my INBOX than legitimate messages (not counting mailing lists), and it's a clear sign that the filtering offered by Spamcop mail is not sufficient.

I think it's about time that we introduce a blacklist for Peru. Peruvians have been most annoying lately, much more than Argentinians and Brazilians together. I don't get any legitimate e-mail from Peru anyway (unlike Brazil).

<snip>

All reports go to addresses ending with .pe, which is the domain of Peru. The spammer even leaves his or here address and telephone number:

<snip>

I think it's about time that we introduce a blacklist for Peru.

<snip>

Hi!

...Disclaimer: the fact that an abuse addresses ends in ".pe" does not guarantee that the machine that is the spam source is in Peru.

...For blackholes (IP address lists for countries [and other entities]), please see Wazoo's reply in thread "Setting up my server to use Spamcop."

...Good luck!

Hi!

...Disclaimer: the fact that an abuse addresses ends in ".pe" does not guarantee that the machine that is the spam source is in Peru.

Agreed

...For blackholes (IP address lists for countries [and other entities]), please see Wazoo's reply in thread "Setting up my server to use Spamcop."

...Good luck!

I mean I'd like to see it available in the Spamcop mail system, not on my server (I don't have one).

It would be useful as a temporary measure to divert spam in progress to the "held mail" folder until the spammer is located and dealt with individually.

<snip>

I mean I'd like to see it available in the Spamcop mail system, not on my server (I don't have one).

It would be useful as a temporary measure to divert spam in progress to the "held mail" folder until the spammer is located and dealt with individually.

...Ah, I see, now! Thanks for clarifying (and educating me on how the SpamCop e-mail system uses non-SpamCop blacklists -- I hadn't been paying much attention previously because I do not have a SpamCop e-mail account).

...While you're waiting for a reply to your new feature request, see if this suggestion from StevenUnderwood helps you at all.

Unfortunately, this spammer is using fake addresses, so filtering by the return address won't work.
...Duh-uh! :blush: <blush> That'll teach me to poke my nose into something I know nothing about. At least I could think about what I'm writing before acting, but noooooo.... :) <g>

...Thanks for the using the kid gloves ... I don't think my level of stupidity deserved that! :) <g>

Archived