Suggestion

When mail is filtered by Spamcop, it is forwarded to my secret email address. When an ISP responds to a report, it is sent to that same secret address.

Since the destination is the same in both cases, I can't easily filter between the two at my mail server. I can do it at my mail client, sure, but I'd very much like to avoid downloading all my report responses along with my normal email.

Any chance the system could be tweaked to allow for a second secret address so that these two (very different) functions can be isolated?

And to clarify: I have Spamcop configured to send ALL report responses (even robot replies) to me and I don't want to change this. I'm not annoyed at the responses. I just want to control them a little better on my end.

I'd also like to be able to tell Spamcop to automatically CC me on all reports sent on my behalf - but I'll leave that suggestion for another time... :-)

Since the destination is the same in both cases, I can't easily filter between the two at my mail server.  I can do it at my mail client, sure, but I'd very much like to avoid downloading all my report responses along with my normal email.

isn't the reply sent To: 123123[at]reports.spamcop.net so you could pick this up easily ?

I'd also like to be able to tell Spamcop to automatically CC me on all reports sent on my behalf

you've seen the preference to add you to the Cc: list when using the VER site ? It allows you to tick the box to send you an exact report.

- the spam report you get automatically could presuamably be turned `de-digested' into the individual emails - assuming you are using the `quick reporting'

jseymour,

it almost sounds like what you really want to do is set up an IMAP account and access your SpamCop account that way. You could then move the e-mails you want to save locally to one of your "own" folders on your hard drive, read / delete / move the reports as you see fit, etc.

As far as multiple forwarding addresses, I'll repeat the same data offered a couple of times just today .. JT has said "no" in the past. And your request would entail a bit more than just a "tweak" or two ...

And that you want to also add a CC: of all reports on top of what you're asking to have separated seems a bit out of concept.

Also not really clear, do you run the "at my mail server" or is this just your ISP you're talking about? If it's your own, why are you constrained from setting up your own "routing" ..??

it almost sounds like what you really want to do is set up an IMAP account and access your SpamCop account that way.

IMAP isn't the right solution for me. I'm forwarding all mail to Spamcop, and the filtered mail comes back to my server. What I want is for the ISP replies to come back to a different address than the filtered mail.

This has nothing to do with multiple forwarding addresses.

Also not really clear, do you run the "at my mail server" or is this just your ISP you're talking about?  If it's your own, why are you constrained from setting up your own "routing" ..??

I'm not constrained. I could set up procmail to do the filtering after the message arrives. Or (as I do now), I can use filtering at my email client.

It just seems that the best solution is to have Spamcop direct the two very different types of messages differently.

Not a big deal either way. Just thought I'd get my suggesting in the hopper in case anybody's thinking of improvements someday...

I'm not constrained.  I could set up procmail to do the filtering after the message arrives.  Or (as I do now), I can use filtering at my email client.

If you use procmail on your server you could not only easily filter mail from spamcop you could also set up a whitelist to avoid sending everything to spamcop.

spamcop.net,Mar 16 2004, 10:16 PM]
I'd also like to be able to tell Spamcop to automatically CC me on all reports sent on my behalf

you've seen the preference to add you to the Cc: list when using the VER site ? It allows you to tick the box to send you an exact report.

- the spam report you get automatically could presuamably be turned `de-digested' into the individual emails - assuming you are using the `quick reporting'

This doesn't work with Quick Reporting - if you want a copy, you have to use Slow Reporting and make sure the box to copy you is checked.

Moved from SpamCop Help to SpamCop Email because it has to do with the SpamCop Email System.

Archived