Blacklisted - another Wanadoo customer

wineraks

It is, perhaps, worth noting again that Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve currently has a major problem passing on UUBE.

I suspect, but have no proof, that the problem is with a number of their customers. However, the failure of the ISP to tackle the problem means other, innocent, customers are feeling the effects.

I don't see any resolution since the continuing stream of junk via Orange is maintaining the SCBL listing.

As an aside, I see that: 193.252.22.156 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

* System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

* SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam about 200 times in the past week

So the problem is not solely UUBE. I also see that this IP is listed in SORBS so the problems are only going to get worse for Orange/Wanadoo customers.

Andrew

Hi

I keep getting messages when sending emails to a variety of contacts. Couple of typical return messages are shown below - please help I don't know what to do??!! I've spoken with Orange and they've told me to register my with SpamCop which I've done......

Please help me, thanks, Nikki

This is the SMTP Server program at host me.freeserve.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The SMTP Server program

<v-jrowl[at]microsoft.com>: host mailc.microsoft.com[205.248.106.32] said: 550

5.7.1 Email rejected because 193.252.22.156 is listed by bl.spamcop.net.

Please see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml for more information. If you

still need assistance contact gtsrbl23[at]microsoft.com (in reply to RCPT TO

command)

This is the SMTP Server program at host me.freeserve.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The SMTP Server program

<Sue.Rowe[at]boyleandco.com>: host post2.cyberquest.co.uk[194.29.218.20] said: 451

Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?193.252.22.157 (in reply to

RCPT TO command)

I've spoken with Orange and they've told me to register my with SpamCop which I've done......

Please speak with them again and tell them the problem is SERVER related and there is nothing the individual users can do to solve the problem.

Have them read this thread for the recent discussion about the problem, including proff they are sending misdirected bounces all over the internet.

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=48048

• 1 month later...

At least three of my friends with "freeserve" or "fs" email addresses sending email to me (a "onetel.net" address) are getting messages like this:

"This is the SMTP Server program at host me.freeserve.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be

be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can

delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The SMTP Server program <********[at]onetel.net>: host mx.onetel.net.uk[212.67.121.123] said: 554

Service unavailable; Client host [193.252.22.157] blocked using bl.spamcop.net;

RCPT TO command)"

One friend has tried de-listing but to no avail. I asked OneTel if they are using SpamCop and they say no, so it seems neither I nor my friends can resolve this issue. Should I close my OneTel account and try another?

The SMTP Server program <********[at]onetel.net>: host mx.onetel.net.uk[212.67.121.123] said: 554

RCPT TO command)"

There are several ways to approach this problem.

First you can try to get Onetel to whitelist your friends, however, since they aren't even aware that they are using SpamCop (and according to this error, they are), that is unlikely.

The second and better approach would be to get your friends using Wanadoo to try convince their ISP to clean up their act so they can avoid being listed. However, given past responses from Wanadoo, this is unlikely to be successful as well.

It seems that your best solution would be to encourage your friends to find a more responsible provider, or to email you from a free hotmail or gmail account.

At least three of my friends with "freeserve" or "fs" email addresses sending email to me (a "onetel.net" address) are getting messages like this:

Kind of ignoring the alleged issue with OneTel not having a clue .... but the main issue is the freeserve ISP ... and because of that, this "new" Topic is going to be merged with one of those monster discussions already in place about freeserve/orange/whatever ....

PM sent to advise of the new location ...

"This is the SMTP Server program at host me.freeserve.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be

be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can

delete your own text from the attached returned message.

RCPT TO command)"

OneTel isn't trying hard enough yet. Perhaps they mean that IP address is not listed right this moment but whatever they are doing is indistinguishable from giving you the run around. The blocking is not their "fault" - it is Wanadoo's for hosting spammers - but you have a right to competent advice and recognition of the problem, maybe an offer to set you up with whitelisting or something (an opportunity to charge you slightly more perhaps). Providers like OneTel using the SCBL in this way THEN denying it are not fighting spam, they are sweeping it under the carpet, hoping, it seems, not to be caught in the act. You should challenge their bland assertion with the evidence of that (full) bounce message and see what they can do off the back foot.

OneTel is not the "real" problem but neither have they been as helpful as they could be.

<snip>

OneTel isn't trying hard enough yet. Perhaps they mean that IP address is not listed right this moment but whatever they are doing is indistinguishable from giving you the run around. The blocking is not their "fault" - it is Wanadoo's for hosting spammers - but you have a right to competent advice and recognition of the problem, maybe an offer to set you up with whitelisting or something (an opportunity to charge you slightly more perhaps). Providers like OneTel using the SCBL in this way THEN denying it

<snip>

...That may be the case: another possibility is that they are being disingenuous but truthful -- not using the SpamCop BL but configuring their rejection message to say that they are.

...Either way, they need a two-by-four "upside the head" (Wanadoo needs an eight-by-eight for the same purpose).

Archived