Wildcards in mailhosts

If a server has mail hosts like mail1.opentransfer.com, mail2.opentransfer.com... mail47.opentransfer.com...

Does that main I need 47 separate entries in mailhosts? and maintain it every time they modify the configuration?

Seems it must be in the FAQ but 'search' didn't find it...

tx

Richard

If a server has mail hosts like mail1.opentransfer.com, mail2.opentransfer.com... mail47.opentransfer.com...

Does that main I need 47 separate entries in mailhosts? and maintain it every time they modify the configuration? ...

Hi Richard - those are all subdomains on the one host? One address per host is all that needs to be registered, I believe. Ref http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=39732 also http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=41242

Re: the Subject line: I don't believe that you would be offered the opportunity to use/input a wildcard in the configuration process ...

Does that main I need 47 separate entries in mailhosts?

Technically no, as all are sub-domains. In reality, there are some issues involved. For instance, the attempted MailHost Configuration FAQ does offer bits about things like 'backup servers that only come into play when needed" and therefore only become an issue when brought into play ....

and maintain it every time they modify the configuration?

That's not really a fair question, but as asked, the answer would be "it depends" ... How the configuration was changed, how the hand-offs are 'documented', if rDNS/DNS is set=up correctly, on and on ... the alternative view is addressed in the instructional bit of insuring that the spam can be parsed correctly prior to hitting the Submit button. (Thus the warnings about the use of Quick-Reporting, folks trying to write and use "automatic" submittal scripts/programs, etc.)

Part of the issue is that the non-MailHost Configured Reporting account parse will attempt to 'recognize' the servers involved during the chain-test portion of the parse. MailHost configured reporting account parses basically stop at the first unrecognized server .... the 'unrecognized' definition could be just that the "newly added" server is not recognized "as a server" yet .. on the other hand, as the database is 'shared' .. any user of that ISP adding that 'new' server to his/her configuration will also effectively add this 'new' server to 'your' configuration ...

As this is just my understanding, I'm kicking this upstream and asking for input from those that deal with that database.

When the single-page-access-expanded version of the SpamCOp FAQ was hacked into place, I had an opening comment that it contained no data about the MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account" .... However, as the questions kept coming in (thusly meeting the "Frequntly Asked" description, I attempted to build a FAQ section on the MailHost Configuration process. I can state that the word "wildcard" would not have been placed into that FAQ, as (to the best of mu knowledge) no user would be able to inject a wildcard into that process. The work on building that FAQ died when I couldn't get any assistance from the folks that do that work. I docimented that as best I could. The status hasn't really changed from Ellen's initial postings when she got the task of being 'prime contact' ... id the 'general' statements don't answer the problem then she (and now the Deputies) need to be contacted about specific issues.

The single-pafe-access-epanded [v]SpamCOp FAQ[.v] here has the entries listed under the Parsing and Reporting section;

How do I configure Mailhosts for SpamCop?

-----> Mailhost System Configuration Explanation

-----> MailHost Configuration Problems FAQ started

-----> Mailhosts Typical Questions A less technical version

-----> One version of a Step-by-step MailHost set-up

-----> "Sorry, confirmation codes do not match:" - Why?

If the answer isn't found there or in the Pinned items in the HailHost Forum section ... need to talk to the Deputies.

It is 'known' that there are open "tickets" on issues with MailHost Configured reporting, but .. that's all that's known from this side of the screen ...

I believe that, by and large, the mailhosts stuff is self configuring. So, my own domain, when registered, immediately gains a whole bunch of servers that I wasn't aware should be included but are because the folks in SpamCop admin identified them.

However, we subsequently identified a server which only came into play occasionally. I raised that with the admin folk and that extra server was manually added. So I would say that most/all of the servers you need to have included will be. But in those circumstances when there is a problem raise it with admin[at]spamcop.net and you'll find help offered.

Andrew

However, we subsequently identified a server which only came into play occasionally. I raised that with the admin folk and that extra server was manually added. So I would say that most/all of the servers you need to have included will be. But in those circumstances when there is a problem raise it with admin[at]spamcop.net and you'll find help offered.

I would rather suggest the address offered up by Ellen in her Pinned posts, the listings in the "Contact Us" FAQ entries, etc. .... 'admin' only goes to Don whereas 'Deputies' goes to a 'shared' InBox such that all three people known to be doing Deputy duties can have the chance to work the issue .... submittals via the web-form are also accessible by all of them ...

Does that main I need 47 separate entries in mailhosts? and maintain it every time they modify the configuration?

The answer is contained in the various posts provided by our most valuable resource, our users. To summarize:

When you submit an address through the mailhost configuration tool the system does a mx lookup on the domain and sends an email to you through each of the mx's, regardless of priority. Generally a domain isn't going to have more than three mx servers listed, with all others being internal hops.

Basically, you 'send back' each of the emails received and the system will work through the headers to identify each server involved in the mailpath between the sender (us) and your mailbox. Each server identified is added to the mailhost record for that domain.

If a mailhost record already exists for that domain (i.e. another user on that domain) your account is simply pointed at that already existing record. If any new servers are identified they are added to the existing record.

If a new server is found subsequently, yes we have to manually add it. Similarly, if the domain changes hosts we have to add the new servers and remove the old ones.

For opentransfer.com, the mailhost record contains 11 server/hostnames and 24 IP addresses. It does contain "opentransfer.com" which will act as a wildcard on subdomain names, but only if dns and rdns are correctly set up.

Richard

Archived