Another Fed up Wanadoo/Orange ISP user thats been blocked

factoria

Does anyone know how i can send emails again, most of the ones ive been trying to send have come stright back at me :(

following msg:

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be

be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can

delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The SMTP Server program

<info[at]elevationrecords.co.uk>: host elevationrecords.co.uk[72.29.64.200] said:

550-rejected because the sending host 193.252.22.156 is in a black list at

550-bl.spamcop.net 550 Blocked - see

http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?193.252.22.156 (in reply to RCPT TO

command)

driving me insane, arghhhhhh

193.252.22.156 appears to be a Wanadoo IP address. I hate to sound blunt and unconcerned, but realistically, the only way you are going to be able to reliably send email is to find a more reliable email provider.

A quick search of this forum, or better yet, a google search, will show you that Wanadoo has absolutely no clue how to operate and maintain mail servers. Their servers spew out millions of spam messages each day, so it is not uncommon to find many ISPs that simply block incoming mail from those points.

You can try contacting Wanadoo about the problem, but from previous discussions here, I understand that it is a similar experience to banging ones head againsts a brick wall...

You can try contacting Wanadoo about the problem, but from previous discussions here, I understand that it is a similar experience to banging ones head againsts a brick wall...

I have just joine the banging-head-against-brickwall club

Any recommendations on more reliable ISP - is TalkTalk OK?

Thanks

I can't comment on Talk Talk but remember that your Email service does not have to come from the same organisation that provides your internet connection.

So a lot of folk will chose the best value ISP and identify an entirely different Email service provider. I have an Email account from SpamCop but I'm not trying to plug this service - just an example.

What you're looking for is a service provider that takes spam seriously. By and large the bigger organisations are more likely to have a problem simply because they have thousands of customers. That said there are many large providers who are very good at addressing the spam problem and who are rarely, if ever, listed.

I wish you well in the search.

Andrew

...your Email service does not have to come from the same organisation that provides your internet connection.So a lot of folk will chose the best value ISP and identify an entirely different Email service provider. I have an Email account from SpamCop but I'm not trying to plug this service - just an example.

If I use the Spamcop email service, doesn't my outgoing (SMTP) mail still go out through my ISP - the dreaded Orange/Wanadoo. In which case, won't it still get blocked from time to time?

If I use the Spamcop email service, doesn't my outgoing (SMTP) mail still go out through my ISP - the dreaded Orange/Wanadoo. In which case, won't it still get blocked from time to time?

Pinned Announcement in the SpamCop.net E-mail Account section .... SMTP test ....

And it has been quite reliable every time I have used it (usually off hours east coast US).

I've been using the SpamCop SMTP AUTH service pretty consistently. The only time I've had a problem has been when SpamCop had a wider Email problem. But as noted previously, other SMTP services are available :)

Andrew

I've been using the SpamCop SMTP AUTH service pretty consistently. The only time I've had a problem has been when SpamCop had a wider Email problem. But as noted previously, other SMTP services are available :)

Sorry guys, I have checked out some of the other threads and FAQs but am still confused about this. I use Outlook as my mail client and my outgoing messages go out via Wanadoo/Orange servers which are frequently blocked. The spamcop email setup instructions for Outlook say "email from your email program will go out through your ISP without passing through SpamCop" which I don't think is what I need. [reference at http://mail.spamcop.net/setup/setup_pop2.php ] Can you direct me to more info on the SpamCop SMTP AUTH service. Thanks.

Talk Talk have far bigger problems than being unable to keep their network free of spammers. They've signed up over half a million customers since they introduced their free/cheap broadband packages and are unable to deal with the tens of thousands of complaints that they're receiving. You should have seen them on Watchdog on BBC1 last night.

If you're looking to switch ISPs, DSLZoneUK and the forums on ADSLGuide are pretty good places to start some research.

Hi,

My emails are getting blocked by Spamcop with the following undeliverable message:

"This is the SMTP Server program at host me.freeserve.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be

be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can

delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The SMTP Server program

<xxxx[at]xxxxxx.co.uk>: host mail.xxxxxx.co.uk[87.243.197.28]

said: 550 5.7.0 Your server IP address is in the SpamCop database, bye (in

reply to RCPT TO command)

Reporting-MTA: dns; me.freeserve.com

X-SMTP-Server-Queue-ID: 69BC61C0008E

X-SMTP-Server-Sender: rfc822; xxxxxxxx[at]mac.com

Arrival-Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:15:42 +0200 (CEST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822;

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: X-SMTP-Server; host mail.xxxxxx.co.uk[87.243.197.28]

reply to RCPT TO command)"

Trouble is, when you are signed up to Orange as your ISP, you have to use their mail servers in order to send mail. I have my own mail servers attached to various domains that I own, but I can't use these with Orange. I have a dotmac account as well, but again I must use smtp.orangehome.co.uk as my outgoing server. Try to use any other mail server and the message receives an error message from Mac mail, which then dumps it in the outbox to be sent later.

Can anyone help with this?

Moderator Edit: This 'new' Topic was merged into an existing Discussion already on-going that covers the same ground.

PM sent to advise of the Move/Merge.

My emails are getting blocked by Spamcop with the following undeliverable message:

If you look up previous discussions here, you'll find the topic of Wanadoo/Orange has been extensively discussed.

Apparently, Wanadoo/Orange is absolutely clueless.

[at]MODs:

Suggestion: Merge topic with previous one?

<xxxx[at]xxxxxx.co.uk>: host mail.xxxxxx.co.uk[87.243.197.28]

reply to RCPT TO command)

What is the IP address of your SMTP server?

Trouble is, when you are signed up to Orange as your ISP, you have to use their mail servers in order to send mail. I have my own mail servers attached to various domains that I own, but I can't use these with Orange. I have a dotmac account as well, but again I must use smtp.orangehome.co.uk as my outgoing server. Try to use any other mail server and the message receives an error message from Mac mail, which then dumps it in the outbox to be sent later.

Now, that sounds strange. You should be able to smarthost your outgoing mail to another server if Wanadoo/Orange does not provide you with good service. Could you please post the error message?

Good luck,

A. Friend

If you look up previous discussions here, you'll find the topic of Wanadoo/Orange has been extensively discussed.

Apparently, Wanadoo/Orange is absolutely clueless.

[at]MODs:

Suggestion: Merge topic with previous one?

What is the IP address of your SMTP server?

Now, that sounds strange. You should be able to smarthost your outgoing mail to another server if Wanadoo/Orange does not provide you with good service. Could you please post the error message?

Good luck,

A. Friend

Thanks. How do I find my SMTP server IP address? The message Mac mail gives me is simply "Cannot send message using the server xxx, try using another server". But in any case, Orange's help pages state that you must use their outgoing servers. I know it seems mad, but there it is. Any workarounds you can think of?

You might be able to send using an alternate TCP/IP port for SMTP, perhaps provided by the hosting providers of one of the "mail servers attached to various domains" that you mentioned. For example, my ISP requires that I use their SMTP, but I get around that by using port 9925 on a web server I'm involved with. Check with your hosting providers.

DT

The following line is proving this statement incorrect. It is "host mail.xxxxxx.co.uk[87.243.197.28]" that is blocking your message. They should also be fixing their system to identify the IP address causing the block.

Thanks. How do I find my SMTP server IP address? The message Mac mail gives me is simply "Cannot send message using the server xxx, try using another server". But in any case, Orange's help pages state that you must use their outgoing servers. I know it seems mad, but there it is. Any workarounds you can think of?

You just xxx'd what I was looking for. What is the name of the server you're using for outgoing mail?

Normally, you have to enter two servers in the settings of your mail program. One for incoming (either POP or IMAP) and the other for outgoing (SMTP). If you don't know the IP, please provide the name.

Good luck,

A. Friend

The SMTP server that causes the problems is smtp.orangehome.co.uk

That server (193.252.22.138) doesn't actually transmit any email. With most large providers, outbound mail goes through more than one step on its way from the end user's computer to outside parties.

For example, I just sent a message (to myself) using the SMTP services of my broadband provider. Although it has the typical name (smtp.provider.com), the IP of that SMTP server doesn't even show up in the email headers. In the first Received header entry (reading from bottom to top), I see my machine (with its current IP listed) handing off not to the SMTP server in my email config, but rather to a server at my ISP with an entirely different name. Then in the second Received header entry, I see an "internal handoff" between the server that accepted the message from me and yet another outbound server belonging to my ISP, then in the third Received line, where the actual outbound transmission occurs, I see the name and IP of the actual outbound server handing off to the receiving server at another domain.

IOW, having someone identify which SMTP server they connect to is fairly meaningless...what's needed is for an email to be sent to an outside recipient, and then to parse it and post the Tracking URL for analysis. Or, failing that, we'd need full headers from a message transmitted from the user's machine to an outside recipient, with email addresses XXXed out, but with the Received lines intact (except for any email address they might contain).

DT

<snip>

I know it seems mad, but there it is. Any workarounds you can think of?

...And of course you (and everyone you know who also uses Wanadoo/Orange) are going to explain this to them when you decline to renew with them when your current contract expires, right? :) <g>

...And of course you (and everyone you know who also uses Wanadoo/Orange) are going to explain this to them when you decline to renew with them when your current contract expires, right? :) <g>

Just thought I'd let people know the solution to my particular problem. I contacted my domain hosting company, and they already had another open port I could use - they were aware of the problem, and provide an alternative port to get around ISPs like Orange who do this. So if you have your own mail servers, get in touch with your hosting company.

Thanks, by the way, for all the help and responses from this board.

Archived