No Information Email

girl

I went to work in the science building and google said my ip was 66.20.28.21. My email worked.

Jeff, I'm well aware and it's okay. :) Thank you for the quite appropriate concern. I had my last domain "stolen" because of information up there (they mailed a "time to renew" notice to the address, my mom paid it to a different registrar and gave the name up to them, thinking to be a christmas gift for me) so we learned our lesson. Watch out for those domain name thiefs, you hear!

I'm just going to bring the spamcop.net blacklisting to the Networking door, not let any of the student workers talk to me, and make the head guy talk to me, and see if things just... get solved. See if magically he says, "Oh yes, that IS your dorm's IP!" and miraculous statements like that and does an insane search of the dorm's computers or something.

Well, it's like this .. you are as confused about things as much as your 'local tech support' seems to be.

Once again, the previously referenced .grc site attempts to explain to you what a router is, how it works, why you have a 10.x.x.x address but 70.x.x.x is showing up elsewhere. Sorry you can't be bothered with the details.

Yet again, pointing out that the output server IP address for your (alleged) daintyrose.net e-mail SMTP service is still unidentifed.

As the only 'evidence' yet provided in "e-mail with a problem" has been referencing the 70.x.x.x IP address, I am still suggesting that you are running an SMTP server on your computer, and that's where the problems are coming from.

Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):

Not shown: 1676 closed ports

PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION

111/tcp open rpcbind 2 (rpc #100000)

660/tcp open status 1 (rpc #100024)

1014/tcp open mountd 1-3 (rpc #100005)

2049/tcp open nfs 2-4 (rpc #100003)

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 11.348 seconds

No port 25. I do not have a SMTP server. How did I know before I did that? I didn't install a SMTP server function. In the past if I tried to email and my domain was down, it didn't work, proving I was dependent on my domain. I did not have to download nmap and do a port scan on myself to do that. I already knew.

Again, the "error message that pops-up and talks about checking your e-mail address/settings" has no direct connection to a listing in the SpamCopDNSBL ....

That error message doesn't have a connection but it's all I've got, and I can't email. It's not my fault it's not a "correct" error message, it's what I got stuck with. I wont be pooping out an official one any time soon, so get used to it.

Where are you seeing "any" e-mail leaving daintyrose.net?

I'm not. I didn't say I did. But there's spam on the raise at 70.x.x.x. 70.x.x.x is the problem, and my domain is 67.x.x.x (which I said before).

Your "only now beginning to believe" seems a bit odd .. that's what I was suggesting way back in the beginning and have repeated numerous times. .... multiple infected computers on "your" side of the network, possibly even more folks also running their own SMTP services, known or not ....

No,that is not what you were suggesting the whole time.

I wrote a reply and it was kinda snippity so I rewrote it. I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the sun today.

I have a bad error message: chill.

I don't have an smtp server: it's possible to still have my ips and settings like that with SonicWall.

I'm far too ignorant to know what's going on: but I'm still getting closer to figuring things out with everyone's help

And I thank you guys for that! :)

Moderator Edit: I did my best to format this thing into something that I could easily make sense out of .... nothing deleted, just quote tags entered in the places, the replies moved to that set of quoted data .... I actually went to all that work just to make it easier to respond .....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to work in the science building and google said my ip was 66.20.28.21. My email worked.

Which doesn't actually 'fit' a number of things. Yet again, demonstrating some of the headers of these 'successful' e-mail would possibly show something. The point here is that if you were using the daintyrose.net SMTP service, your "location" IP address shouldn't necessarily be an issue. The only known example thus far came from the 70.x.x.x address.

I'm just going to bring the spamcop.net blacklisting to the Networking door, not let any of the student workers talk to me, and make the head guy talk to me, and see if things just... get solved. See if magically he says, "Oh yes, that IS your dorm's IP!" and miraculous statements like that and does an insane search of the dorm's computers or something.

Pointing him/her to this discussion should be helpful

Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):

Not shown: 1676 closed ports

PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION

111/tcp open rpcbind 2 (rpc #100000)

660/tcp open status 1 (rpc #100024)

1014/tcp open mountd 1-3 (rpc #100005)

2049/tcp open nfs 2-4 (rpc #100003)

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 11.348 seconds

No port 25. I do not have a SMTP server. How did I know before I did that? I didn't install a SMTP server function. In the past if I tried to email and my domain was down, it didn't work, proving I was dependent on my domain. I did not have to download nmap and do a port scan on myself to do that. I already knew.

nmap may not be the tool needed. I would rather suggest something as innocuous as a "ps -aux" to check running services ...

That error message doesn't have a connection but it's all I've got, and I can't email. It's not my fault it's not a "correct" error message, it's what I got stuck with. I wont be pooping out an official one any time soon, so get used to it.

As stated a number of times, "we" can only work with the data you provide, and comparing that to the things known ... your described "pop-up" is an unknown item. The content of that 'pop-up' is also leading to some confusion.

I'm not. I didn't say I did. But there's spam on the raise at 70.x.x.x. 70.x.x.x is the problem, and my domain is 67.x.x.x (which I said before).

Sorry ... your exact statement was "Because there's no computers connected to daintyrosesmtp right now... and there's still spam coming out." SenderBase data / links have previously been provided that show traffic from the (not an e-mail server) 70.x.x.x address and zero traffic seen from the daintyrose.net Domain ... and once again, the output server for the daintyrose.net SMTP service still has yet to be identified, but assumed to be one of those shown for mochahost ....

No,that is not what you were suggesting the whole time.

Hmmm, StevenUnderwood suggested this in his first reply at Linear post #2 ..... my first response in this Topic at Linear post #8 certainly makes this suggestion .... and since then, it's beem trying to get actual and usable data from you ....

I wrote a reply and it was kinda snippity so I rewrote it. I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the sun today.

Yeah, well, my attitude sucks, having to reformat your post (yet again) didn't do much to sweeten things ... the fact that you seem to think I'm spending all this time to simply aggravate you does tend to send that mood ever southward ... the fact that you haven't gotten around to actually doing things requested that could help to clear things up I find really aggravating ....

With all the time spent/wasted thus far, how about something as silly as a screen-shot of some of this stuff that you say you see? How about headers from a received e-mail that you did successfully send from the daintyrose.net SMTP server? Where are the trace-route / tracepath results?

Archived