On Spamcop block list and need off

spamvictim

Ok. I've been told by 2-3 companies that my email address is on Spamcop's block list. This is interfering with legimate business. A few months ago, I was hijacked by spyware, which has been cleaned up. I think someone out there is using our server name to send spam and getting us put on black lists. We get a ridiculous amount of spam ourselves, and we're sick of it. But I need my email address to be removed from Spamcop's black list. How is this done? I've sent Spamcop an email, which they never responded to. I know the company you're emailing to can ok you, but until I'm off Spamcop black list, it's going to interfere with new customers, etc.

Can't help you at all, based on your not providing any data at all.

FAQs exist, posting guidelines, hints, instructions posted in places you had to scroll by to get here ...

Numerous existing Topics and Discussions you could have looked at prior to posting to get a clue as to how to post a 'good' question ... apparently not looked at .... it has been noted that in your haste to get here and post, questions on the Registration form apparently weren't actually read either ....

Bottom line .. what's the IP address in question?

Your "e-mail address" has no bearing on the contents of the SpamCopDNSBL.

Your "server name" has no (direct) bearing on the contents of the SpamCopDNSBL.

Email addresses are NOT on spamcop's list. IP addresses of machines that have recently sent a certain percentage of spam are what is listed.

If you would provide us with the IP address (or rejection message you are receiving), we could give you much more information.

If you would provide us with the...rejection message you are receiving...

Provide one of the rejection messages if it includes the IP address that's supposedly being blocked. BTW, you would have gotten a warmer "welcome" if you had taken the time to read some of the FAQ and pinned items in this forum before posting.

DT

Another point - if your machine is all cleaned up, it probably won't be on the spamcop bl any longer, but it might be on some other lists that are not dynamic.

If your IP address really is on the spamcop bl, then you are doing something wrong (or sharing a server with someone else who is either not competent or responsible).

You won't be able to get any advice without providing the IP address.

Miss Betsy

<snip>

Ok. I've been told by 2-3 companies that my email address is on Spamcop's block list. This is interfering with legimate business.... until I'm off Spamcop black list, it's going to interfere with new customers, etc.

...You wrote "interfere" rather than "prevent." Taking that at face value, I'll presume you have alternative means of communication. That would be a very good thing because, although e-mail is normally quite reliable, it is not a guaranteed delivery mechanism; any business that absolutely relies on it is bound to have difficulties.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite frankly I don't have time at work to sit around and read all that gibberish on your website. You have to be computer guru to understand most of it. I have sent a message to spamcop previously, following the advice on the website, with the IP address, etc. and got NO response. Personally I think you're doing more harm than good, but blocking IP addresses that are legimate businesses. I don't need a bunch of nasty comments from you people. You need to improve your website so people can get answers without have to sift through a bunch of garbage. Also you need to have someone that a person can contact and have a reasonable discussion with instead of a bunch of nasty people ganging up on someone who is having a legitmate problem because of your 'black list'. I was hijacked by spyware and obviously someone got ahold of our IP ADDRESS and now we're on your 'black list' and it's interfering with our communication with our business customers because they buy your lists or whatever. I must say that I got a much nicer welcome from the people at Spyware Warrior who helped me clean up the spyware problem. Thanks for nothing. :angry:

...I have sent a message to spamcop previously, following the advice on the website, with the IP address, etc. and got NO response. ...
Why didn't you provide the IP "here"? We're not "SpamCop", just users, volunteers. We help when we can, you haven't given us a chance. You did the right thing messaging the paid staff. Now wait.

Since you don't have time to read my gibberish, I will only offer this bit of advice. If you are a legitimate small company being affected by blocklists, it is likely your IP address is shared by many other small companies, one of which is spamming. The best solution is to get a fixed IP account and run your own server. Then you are only reliant on your own beavior.

Quite frankly I don't have time at work to sit around and read all that gibberish on your website.

You come here, rant about how spamcops affect your business, don't realize you have harmed other people by not taking elementary safety precautions to protect your servers, fail to provide any relevant information, come back after two weeks, claim you don't have time (or can't be bothered) to read any documentation, ignore the fact this is a peer-to-peer forum, insult people who tried to help you and generally show every possible sign of cluelessness.

Now, either get some clue or stay blacklisted - it's your choise!

Otherwise this should be moved to the Lounge so everybody can have good laugh...

Hmmm... could, from posting IP, be a link through FIRST COMMUNICATIONS to domain firstspeed.com, IP 63.238.97.247 in deep trouble?

If you're right (btw: how did you get this IP?) the original poster indeed does have a big problem.

DNSStuff currently shows this address listed at:

CBL DNSBLNETAUT1 NETHERUNSURE SBL-XBL SORBS-WEB SPAMCOP WPBL

( http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=63.238.97.247 )

Looks like an inadequately secured server. If this server really belongs to Mr. Spamvictim, his rantings are even more inappropriate. He badly needs some help.

A. Friend

Ah...thanks. That's a midwest US provider doing "broadband over power lines" and it's hard to say what "business" or "server" or specific IP that the OP has in mind. But if this is the IP he/she is complaining about, then you're right...there's deep trouble there and it's obviously the fault of the ISP/server admins.

Check this out:

http://www.robtex.com/rbls/63.238.97.247.html

("pink" results on that page are generally bad)

Senderbase stats:

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day 4.2 1775%

Last 30 days 3.3 130%

but let's not waste any more time....the OP won't be back.

DT

Lots of problems with this 'trojanned' macine, among them DNS error: 63.238.97.247 is fsinvcc00766.firstspeed.com but fsinvcc00766.firstspeed.com is 63.238.96.247 instead of 63.238.97.247

It is quickly making its way into every major blocklist on the internet.

Quite frankly I don't have time at work to sit around and read all that gibberish on your website. You have to be computer guru to understand most of it. <snip> I don't need a bunch of nasty comments from you people. You need to improve your website so people can get answers without have to sift through a bunch of garbage. Also you need to have someone that a person can contact and have a reasonable discussion with instead of a bunch of nasty people ganging up on someone who is having a legitmate problem because of your 'black list'. <snip> I must say that I got a much nicer welcome from the people at Spyware Warrior who helped me clean up the spyware problem. Thanks for nothing. :angry:

What is your work? Keeping your customers happy by cleaning up your act so they don't get a bunch of spam if they allow email from your IP address? Or bad mouthing people who are trying to help?

Show me what nasty comment I made. A reasonable discussion means posting your IP address so that people can research what happened and how you could fix it.

You were a client of Spyware Warrior, weren't you? Do you suppose those who send spyware would get the same welcome? You are talking to people who are trying to keep out the garbage that you were sending. You had to give Spyware Warrior some information for them to help you. You have given us nothing to work with.

And by the way, I understand the gibberish here and I don't even know how to create a website or run a server. I am not a computer guru - in fact, I am what is known as technically non-fluent. It really is not that difficult to understand - if you want to. Or perhaps the difficult things in your life are always someone else's fault?

Miss Betsy

... If you're right (btw: how did you get this IP?) ...
Posting IP is not public but from there through SenderBase, DNSStuff, SenderBase, sniffing around for possible MX thence outwards server(s), following ownership and domains, looking for an IP with the sort of listing history inferred from the complaint. Big areas of uncertainty, it has to be said (there again I'm uncertain about lots of stuff) - first being did he post from same work domain as the outwards mail server?

Maybe someone should drop the OP a PM (which hopefully will generate an email to the OP, assuming they gave a valid one when registering). That way, maybe they'll actually come back and read the responses.

on edit: I went ahead and did that.

DT

Since you don't have time to read my gibberish, I will only offer this bit of advice. If you are a legitimate small company being affected by blocklists, it is likely your IP address is shared by many other small companies, one of which is spamming. The best solution is to get a fixed IP account and run your own server. Then you are only reliant on your own beavior.

to be honest - he's right.

I have rarely seen such a bunch of arrogant posters making incredible rash assumption all absed on ego's so large it make's King Kong look like a midget.

The FAQ's are so thick and extremely confusing.

Who appointed Spamcop the authority on email?

In particular to appreciate such attitudes from Moderators .sheesh. Ok you are vollennteer then stay that way. the second you accept "semioffical" such as moderators then you need to behave as a agent of Spamcop whether paid or not.

some people would veiw what spam cop does as libel.

IMHO

Now goahead and freak out and abuse your sys Privilege and delete this - how long before you do!

to be honest - he's right.

I have rarely seen such a bunch of arrogant posters making incredible rash assumption all absed on ego's so large it make's King Kong look like a midget.

The FAQ's are so thick and extremely confusing.

Who appointed Spamcop the authority on email?

In particular to appreciate such attitudes from Moderators .sheesh. Ok you are vollennteer then stay that way. the second you accept "semioffical" such as moderators then you need to behave as a agent of Spamcop whether paid or not.

some people would veiw what spam cop does as libel.

IMHO

Now goahead and freak out and abuse your sys Privilege and delete this - how long before you do!

Please don't feed the troll! <_<

We don't generally delete messages here. We may move them to more appropriate places, sometimes out of sight of the general public (in the case of spam), but rarely delete.

Technically, we can't say 'never' .... but those deleted are typically duplicate posts, such as a ranter trying to make his/her point by posting the same dialog in several/all of the Forum sections .... in this case for example, the one in the Loounge would remain, but the others would disappear ....

Though curious as to why the use of a standard tool/functiom in any type of venue such as this would be considered 'abuse' .... as compared to the 'abuse' of other Forum users by this kind of crap showing up in their screens ....

On the other hand, duplicate accounts do tend to get zapped. Your other account has been administratively 'handled'

Archived