Why???

Pincher

I live in UK, my daughter lives in Perth WA. I spend my time 50/50 between UK and Oz. Her email address is brenton.pember[at]bigpond.com. I have complete access to her email site [at] Bigpond. Because she is a very busy lady and to assist her, I spend and fair bit of my time checking her site to get rid of the accumulation of spam (up to 300 daily). Occasionally when something amusing is received from other family members I forward it to myself at my emai, pincherm[at]giomail.co.uk. Just recently however these are being returned with spamcop being quoted as the reason. Please say why as I cannot see how this can be??

Thankyou

Peter Martin

Telstra BigPond (or BigPong as some would have it) is notorious for being blocked. Some have suggested this may be an error but last time I looked there was a *huge* list of their servers "known to SpamCop" (see under):

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=650

From my own experience, I cannot recall a single instance of spam from this source - but I have an identifiably American ISP and receive almost only spam targeted at North America (lucky me). Anyway, good luck and remember, employment with BigPond's helpdesk is keeping the little devils there off the dole queue. You can presumably work around the block by getting yourself/daughter a free account with HotMail or Yahoo or whatever and forwarding in two stages (if they don't block BigPond too - otherwise copy & paste).

Incidentally, I've heard BigPond is blocked from some IRC services too. I don't know if this is actually so, or whether it is as a result of SpamCop's BL being used a little more freely than it was ever intended but I wish I could be a little more confident they didn't deserve at least *some* of the treatment they get - though it is not as if I'm a Telstra shareholder ;-)

Late addition - Oh yes, I shouldn't think you will find BigPond blocked all the time - keep trying, but also please let them know all about your problems.

Thankyou for the responses. As a very non technical old fogey I was not clued up on how to go about this matter, but thank you for the pointers and I will now try and digest the info and see where I go from here. Again, thanks.

Pincher

Giving your e-mail addresses here in plain text will not decrease the spam you'll receive at these 2 addresses....

When posting on a forum, you should at least write "... dot ... at ..."

Even the forum at spamcop.net is freely available to all webcrawlers & similar robots...

Apart from that, a partial reply to your "why ?" could be:

(I permit myself, as you describe yourself as "not very technical...")

not the e-mail address of your daughter, but the IP number of this domain is blocked for reasons of spamming - in fact, the IP address ("number" of the computer) of the sending server is the only thing one can know for sure when receiving a mail - the username, e-mail of the sender and all else (written "name" of the sending computer...) can be quite easily be falsified and are therefore not relevent for the "spam blocking filters".

Archived