[Resolved] Setting up Gmail Mailhosts

Hi there.

I thought I'd give the mailhosts system a try and think I may have found something you need to look at.

I have (for the purposes of this post) a standard email account and a gmail account. My gmail account forwards all gmail email to my standard email account.

So I setup my standard account in the mailhosts tab.

Then I proceeded to setup my gmail account.

It all went fine except that now when I look at the mailhosts tab I see " FreeBSD " as the name and several of the freebsd.org servers listed against my gmail account, in addition to the correct gmail stuff.

I even tried twice.. but to no avail.

Image ht tp://www.astrolox.com/stuff/spamcop_mh1.png

In addition to this. I'm the only person using " Astrolox.Com " and yet when I entered " Astrolox " as the mailhost name it chose to ignore me and use " astrolox.com " instead. :unsure:

The term "shared database" may apply to the first query. The question still boils down to (as stated in the nuumerous Pinned items, FAQ entries, etc.) does a spam submittal get parsed correctly?

The second item .. case sensitivity issues .. the norm is not to have case sensitivity issues with a URL, such that lower case is the 'norm' .....

Hi, Astrolox, and welcome to the SpamCop Forums!

<snip>

I thought I'd give the mailhosts system a try and think I may have found something you need to look at.

<snip>

...Have you looked at the Pinned items on this ("Mailhost Configuration of your Reporting Account") Forum's front page? I think the answers to most, if not all, of your questions are to be found in dbiel's reply in thread "Pinned: Mailhosts - definitions," especially the section he entitles "Mail-hosts simplified."

...If not the case, please post follow-up questions here and we'll try to help further.

I did do a forum search and read some of the stickies. I will go back and do so again. I'm sorry if this has been answered before.

However, I made this post because... although the database is shared and I can expect the name to be wrong .... the IP addresses and host names ARE totally incorrect.

I assume that having incorrect IP addresses and host names in there is something that isn't my fault and will require an admin to resolve.

If I'm wrong and assuming I don't find the post myself shortly, would you please point me at the sticky/pinned message that I've obviously missed?

Many thanks and sorry for the touble.

EDIT

While reading the pinned messages you pointed me at, I feel the need to clarify the following.

FreeBSD and Gmail don't use the same servers, as far as I can tell using the wonderful DNS query tools I have here.

I assume that having incorrect IP addresses and host names in there is something that isn't my fault and will require an admin to resolve.

If I'm wrong and assuming I don't find the post myself shortly, would you please point me at the sticky/pinned message that I've obviously missed?

You may have missed the most important item .. we're all users here .... therefore, "we" have no access to the database, no access to your e-mails used in the configuration process, etc.

I also note that you don't mention what happens / goes wrong if you delete those "wrong" entries ... but of course, my previous question hasn't been answered either ....

> does a spam submittal get parsed correctly?

Dunno. I added the mailhost. Noticed it was wrong. Checked. Looked for answers. Failed to find them. Didn't want to break anything. So I posted here.

> I also note that you don't mention what happens / goes wrong if you delete those "wrong" entries

Sorry, I said I had tried twice. Reading that a second time it isn't clear that I meant; I deleted the mailhosts and recreated them and that didn't change anything.

> we're all users here

Again I'm sorry as I obviously incorrectly assumed (well misunderstood a pinned post that I read) that at least one of the spamcop developer people actually reads some of the things here, and that the users here would bring my post to the attention of the correct people, or point me in the direction of the people I need to talk to.

However..

Now I presume then that you suggest I put a spam email from the relevant address through it and hope that nothing breaks in the process.

In addition I presume your also saying that, as there are only users here and as I seem to have a valid data consistancy problem, I should contact someone who has some power. May I presume this should be via email? I'll go search for details on that now.. I must admit I hadn't thought beyond posting here.

In addition to this. I'm the only person using " Astrolox.Com " and yet when I entered " Astrolox " as the mailhost name it chose to ignore me and use " astrolox.com " instead. :unsure:

While you may currently be the "only person using astrolox.com", since you once offered a webmail service, others have apparently had astrolox.com addresses in the past. Since mailhosts have been around for a couple of years now, someone else already registered the domain and that is what you are seeing.

While you may currently be the "only person using astrolox.com", since you once offered a webmail service, others have apparently had astrolox.com addresses in the past. Since mailhosts have been around for a couple of years now, someone else already registered the domain and that is what you are seeing.
StevenUnderwood, I suspected that might be the case but thought it worth asking. Thanks :)
...What StevenUnderwood wrote is what I was referring you to in the Pinned Item I mentioned (the one labeled "Pinned: Mailhosts - definitions"):
Mail-hosts simplified

What you will see when you look at a mailhost:

1: the general name of the mailhost as established in the spamcop files. This name is somewhat arbitrary and as the name for a given set of servers (ex. earthlink servers) is set by the first person to register them the name might not be what you expect. If the name is seriously strange it can be changed by writing to deputies <at> spamcop.net.

(Note that this also answers your question "should contact someone who has some power. May I presume this should be via email?.")
<snip>

would you please point me at the sticky/pinned message that I've obviously missed?

<snip>

...Gee, I thought I did that ... oh, yes, I did!
<snip>

I think the answers to most, if not all, of your questions are to be found in dbiel's reply in thread "Pinned: Mailhosts - definitions," especially the section he entitles "Mail-hosts simplified."

<snip>

Oh, well, I realize all this can be a bit overwhelming. :) <g>

Thanks for all your replies. :)

I'm sorry that I didn't reliase these forums are only for asking questions.

- Astrolox.

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:13:05 -0600

Subject: Re: Possible Mailhost Data Problem

>Gmail and FreeBSD seem to have been somehow linked in your database.

Argh! Don't know how that happened, but it screwed up several Gmail host registrations.

I took the Google stuff out of the FreeBSD host and fixed your account so that you now have a Gmail host and the FreeBSD host is gone.

Thanks for letting me know.

- Don -

I'm sorry that I didn't reliase these forums are only for asking questions.

????? Tons of answers provided within this Forum.

However, as stated in the Pinned items, FAQ entries, and explained in your provided response, the MailHost Configuration details are only accessible to less than a handful of folks ...

I and others reoutinely take things upstream when needed, but ... there's no way for anyone 'here' to know how to identigy "you" in an e-mail like that ...

Archived