webmail address book organization

crisb

Howdy!

I have not been able to figure out how to organize my contacts in the SpamCop WebMail Address Book. I would like to be able to organize my contacts into groups under my main addy book. This is similar to organizing emails into folders, but only one level deep. Either that or have multiple address books or contact groups.

Please note that this is different than mailing lists. I do not necessarily want to blast everybody in a particular mailing list, but rather make it easier to choose recipients from a pared-back listing. The "Message Composition" "Contact List" pop-up should have a drop-down of the address books or categories to choose from.

Multiple books allow for many-to-many relationships. That is, contacts can belong to more than one group. I like that better than attaching a contact to only one group.

Please let me know if this feature is already available in SpamCop's WebMail and I'm just a bonehead for not seeing it. I see the "Move or Copy to Selected Address Book" drop-down, the "Other Options, Address Books" (note plural), and "Click on one of your selected address books and then select all fields to search" and "Choose the order of address books to search when expanding addresses" on that screen. That suuuure looks like the feature is available somewhere. But no where do I see how to create multiple address books. Is it a "work in progress"?

Also, please let me know if/how I can help.

Thanks!

I would like to be able to organize my contacts into groups under my main addy book. This is similar to organizing emails into folders, but only one level deep. Either that or have multiple address books or contact groups.

I checked the help files for the webmail address book and it suggests that only one address book can have entries added to it.

I'm not an expert on Horde but I rather suspect that this is a default setting since the helpfiles are, I think, generic.

So definitely a new feature request rather than something you've missed.

Andrew

Wazoo, thanks for the link, which I followed. After browsing that and searching via google thru other newlists, dox, wikis, the following turned up:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.horde.turba/3343

If you are using a Turba version of 2.1 or higher, you should enable shares on your SQL source by setting 'use_shares' => true in sources.php. Once you do this, you only need one turba_objects table. ... In addition, the users can create new address books for themselves as well as set permissions on any address book they own.

It looks like, in order to allow users to create their own address books, the use_shares config option needs to be turned on, even if we don't need address books to be shared. Does that sound right? Is that all it takes?

BTW, if it looks like I am clueless about this stuff... it's because I am. I offered "help", but I'm not sure how helpful I am actually being.

• 2 weeks later...
So what's the next step?
Hi, crisb!

...Did you try out the change you proposed might work?

<snip>

It looks like, in order to allow users to create their own address books, the use_shares config option needs to be turned on, even if we don't need address books to be shared.

<snip>

...Sorry I can't be more helpful but I am not a subscriber to the SpamCop e-mail service.

Archived