Unable to report spam from Lycos web mail

Hello,

For the last couple of months I've been unable to report spam from my web Lycos account. This started when Lycos switched to their new "look". Before this I was able to report spam from that account without a problem.

The symptoms:

1) When I send a spam report, when wishing to report it I get a "Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts" message.

2) When trying to register my account, after forwarding the emails SpamCop sends me, I get back an email saying:

Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:

Source IP not found.

Your email host does not appear to correctly identify the sending IP of

the email you receive.

I have tried reading the relevant FAQs but I've had a little trouble understanding what's the relevant portion of the header where problems could arise. It does seem to me that the following portion of the headers is kind of suspicious, maybe the 127.0.0.1 IP address is causing trouble? (I substituted the dash signs for my actual address).

So here's the "received" portion of the configuration email I forward, as I got it back with the error message mail:

Received: from sc-app2.spamcop.net ([204.15.82.21]) by hermes of bos-mail-rmail6.bos.lycos.com (127.0.0.1) with SMTP id aAA78i7sr182066490 for <----[at]---.--->; Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:08:44 -0500 (EST)

Received: from [80.178.196.89] by spamcop.net

with HTTP; Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:08:58 GMT

If it's relevant I'll post the rest of the headers.

Thanks in advance!

For the last couple of months I've been unable to report spam from my web Lycos account.

A few messages down in this forum there is a discussion of this issue.

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...92&hl=lycos

From what I read it looks like Lycos has changed its configuration. Perhaps you could read that thread and see if it helps.

Andrew

A few messages down in this forum there is a discussion of this issue.

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...92&hl=lycos

From what I read it looks like Lycos has changed its configuration. Perhaps you could read that thread and see if it helps.

Thanks Andrew, but I've already seen that post. I think my case is different though - he's having problems with the reporting, while my problem is essentially not being able to re-register my email address after Lycos has (probably) changed their server configuration. Also, this problem with re-registering has been going on for the last couple of months, while his (her?) problem is recent.

That said, it might stem from the same problem with Lycos. I don't know. Anyone else?

Hi!

<snip>

1) When I send a spam report, when wishing to report it I get a "Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts" message.

...That probably isn't a problem -- I get that message on many spam parses -- I think it's the parser's way of telling you that it thinks it found the point at which the e-mail arrived at your provider's point of contact to the outside world.
2) When trying to register my account, after forwarding the emails SpamCop sends me, I get back an email saying:

<snip>

...Can you please explain what you mean by "register" your account? To what account are you referring and how are you attempting to register that account? Thanks!

For the last couple of months I've been unable to report spam from my web Lycos account. This started when Lycos switched to their new "look". Before this I was able to report spam from that account without a problem.

The symptoms:

With 'Full/Technical Details' turned on (maybe not needed?) the issue there also includes the question as to which line this failure/error message occurs on. If line 0, definitely an issue. If several lines down, hard to say without seeing the parse results.

Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:

Source IP not found.

Your email host does not appear to correctly identify the sending IP of the email you receive.

Yes, it appears to be a severe issue based on the assumptions made while looking at your sample snippet. But, because it was only a snippet, there are other questions ....

I have tried reading the relevant FAQs but I've had a little trouble understanding what's the relevant portion of the header where problems could arise. It does seem to me that the following portion of the headers is kind of suspicious, maybe the 127.0.0.1 IP address is causing trouble? (I substituted the dash signs for my actual address).

So here's the "received" portion of the configuration email I forward, as I got it back with the error message mail:

Received: from sc-app2.spamcop.net ([204.15.82.21]) by hermes of bos-mail-rmail6.bos.lycos.com (127.0.0.1) with SMTP id aAA78i7sr182066490 for <----[at]---.--->; Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:08:44 -0500 (EST)

If it's relevant I'll post the rest of the headers.

Yes, the complete set would answer/show the other details needed to better try to analyze the problem. At issue would be the "chain test" involved in the parsing of those headers.

I was going to go ahead and send an e-mail upstream on your behalf (as noted in the various Pinned entries, the attempted FAQ entry on MailHost Configuration) but .... you registered here with a free e-mail account, so I have no idea what e-mail address your Reporting account might be associated with. Contacting Deputies with a copy of those "complete" (no munging) headers may allow them to manipulate that database ... then again, having a 127.0.0.1 device actually connecting to the net ...???? Someone has definitely screwed up a configuration setting ....

Read a bit more around the FAQs, and apparently this isn't the correct forum for this problem... This is a mailhost configuration problem and so this thread should probably be moved there. I wasn't very specific in my first post, sorry.

To clarify:

1) I reported spam.

2) I get a "supposed receiving system not associated…" message, from which I understood that Lycos have changed their mailservers conf.

3) I try to re-register their mailhosts through the mailhost configuration tool.

4) Mailhost configuration tool sends me 3 emails. I forward them to the specified address.

5) I get 3 messages back, each saying "Spamcop account configuration: error" and the contents of each is:

"Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:

Source IP not found.

Your email host does not appear to correctly identify the sending IP of

the email you receive."

So, turetzsr - what I meant by "registering my account" was actually configuring Lycos' mailhosts through the mailhost configuration tool.

Wazoo - thanks, I'll post a mangled version of the headers here. I'd also appreciate if you'd tell me how to contact the deputies. Or should I send the full headers to you so you'd forward them?

Here are the mangled headers from one of my mailhost configuration emails:

X-DAUM-WEB-MAILER-FIRST-LINE: From service[at]admin.spamcop.net; Fri Nov 10 07:09:20 2006

X-DAUM-INTERNAL-HOST: received by 209.202.208.26

X-SpamCop-Conf: -----------------------

Received: from sc-app2.spamcop.net ([204.15.82.21]) by hermes of bos-mail-rmail6.bos.lycos.com (127.0.0.1) with SMTP id aAA78i7sr182066490 for

<----[at]lycos.com>; Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:08:44 -0500 (EST)

From: SpamCop robot <mhconf.-------------------[at]cmds.spamcop.net>

To: -------[at]lycos.com

Subject: [spamCop] account configuration email

Precedence: list

Message-ID: <wh45546bdag719c[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:08:58 GMT

X-Mailer: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061025 Firefox/1.5.0.8

via http://www.spamcop.net/ v1.603

X-Hanmail-Peer-IP: 204.15.82.21

X-Hanmail-Class: X

X-Hanmail-Env-From: service[at]admin.spamcop.net

X-Hanmail-Checksum: 1353-tupx3N0tYM528/OuMN7Jcf0aG2M=

Archived