Hotmail pickup ....

A comment along a parallel line.

I read my hotmail via OE (it is not pop'd to SC) and every once in a while, when I go so send (via OE), I will get a dialog box asking for my name and password.

This after I have already downloaded (embedded name and password) mail from that particular hotmail mailbox.

I don't know whether this is an OE or a HM problem but if it IS a HM problem maybe your pops are encountering the same HM problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The Topic you posted in (for the most part) was dealing with an issue of one of SpamCop/JT's servers not "talking correctly" to the HotMail servers ... I'm not sure which "member's comment" you might be referring to ... Yes it is possible, yes it normally works ... just that situation where "stuff happens" was the issue raised here.

For the member that said Hotmail is not POP'able see the SpamCop FAQ: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13

... which says it is .... now I'm confused!

John

Microsoft's MSN Service and MSN Hotmail Service appear to provide two ways for their Members to access their email: HTTP via www.hotmail.com and proprietary HTTP via Microsoft's Outlook Express. They do not appear to provide access via the POP3 or IMAP protocols, nor do they appear to forward.

Corporate Email Services' PopGate appears to use a proprietary method for SpamCop Email System and MSN/Hotmail Customers/Members in common to bypass this limitation and get their mail from their MSN/Hotmail accounts into their SpamCop Email accounts. Part of this proprietary method appears to be the use of the POP3 protocol by fetchmail 6.2.1 on mailgate.cesmail.net within Corporate Email Services' internal network to connect to popgate.cesmail.net. This method works the vast majority of the time, but in three recent instances (as seen and referenced further back in the history of this Topic), PopGate has failed (with mail not getting picked up and with POP Configuration using SSL or HTTP reporting "Last Error: Invalid password" and increasing "Error Count") and needed to be kicked. I have no more information about how or why PopGate failed.

Today (Tuesday 13 April 2004) I started getting this:

Error Count |	Last Error
2 |	Unknown error: 8  (Hotmail)
2 |	Unknown error: 8  (Yahoo)

is it just me?

I only noticed because I wanted to set up Mail Hosts and it failed to connect to the Hotmail server.

the errors mysteriously went away -- I've seen it happen before -- I just wanted to see if it was happening to everyone. (ok, actualy the errors went away, came back, went away .....)

I still haven't been able to get my hotmail accounts added to the Mailhosts though.

Edit: now they are added!!

Today (Tuesday 13 April 2004) I started getting this:

Error Count |	Last Error
2 |	Unknown error: 8  (Yahoo)

is it just me?

I only noticed because I wanted to set up Mail Hosts and it failed to connect to the Hotmail server.

A very small number of Unknown error 8 is normal. It shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 and doesn't affect picking up Hotmail at all.

It's a symptom of when one POP process has "caught up" with another POP process. When they bump into each other, one of them gets an error 8.

JT

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Everyone:

Well, pop mail seems to be broken again. I have been trying to get some assistance in another thread but then I saw this one.

First I have been trying for over a week to pop my aol mail and it wouldn't work. I was getting invalid password just like you all. Then I thought, well, why don't I try my hotmail account. Same error, wrong password.

Then I tried to pop my hotmail into OE, I got a security error and when I tried to force it to send and recieve I got the login and password box over and over.

I can get into hotmail and aol web mail over the web with no problem, same user ids and passwords so I know I am using the correct ones.

So, last night I got smart! :-) I created a brand new hotmail account and was able to pop that into OE just fine but it still won't pop the old account. I tried deleting and readding the old account to oe and no luck there either.

So, is this a hotmail and aol problem, an OE problem or a spamcop problem????? I'm confused!

Barb

:blink:

I created a brand new hotmail account and was able to pop that into OE just fine but it still won't pop the old account. I tried deleting and readding the old account to oe and no luck there either.

So, is this a hotmail and aol problem, an OE problem or a spamcop problem????? I'm confused!

and now you've got me confused. What I read you saying I the above is that OE won't POP your old HotMail account (ignoring that OE and HotMail don't actually use POP3 to 'talk') ... That said, and in that light, there should be some error message popping up to 'explain' the lack of a good connection and transfer of your e-mail into OE ... what is this error?

Still no feedback at all from JT on anything I've tossed over to him, so I don't have a clue where he's at these days ... but I am kind of stuck on that there aren't a lot of folks joining in with your complaint that the SpamCop e-mail thing isn't working, so we're back to trying to guess just what it is that you're doing different. On the other hand, it is a bit frustrating that another AOL user hasn't popped in on either Topic to add in a suggestion or two. Perhaps one will read this and join in?

[and now you've got me confused. What I read you saying I the above is that OE won't POP your old HotMail account (ignoring that OE and HotMail don't actually use POP3 to 'talk') ... That said, and in that light, there should be some error message popping up to 'explain' the lack of a good connection and transfer of your e-mail into OE ... what is this error?]

I'm sorry, I am proably not using the correct terms. Basically I couldn't download my messages into OE and I was getting the same error on there that I was getting when I tried to pop both AOL and hotmail into spamcop, invalid password. When I created a new hotmail account I was able to download the new messages from the new account into OE.

So, I then set the new hotmail account up to pop into spamcop, reset user name and password for both the old hotmail and aol and now, VIOLA, it works! I don't know what happened. but it seems to be ok...for now.

Thanks for everyone's input and I'll be back I guess if it stops working again! :-) :lol:

Barb

Archived