RSS test

Lking

But .... does it work? Its been a long time since I set it up and no one ever commented on it ...???

I had looked at it with IE6 and saw nothing but garbage. Recently upgraded to the IE7 and it started to add it to my system, but had no time to play with it, so abandoned the experiment for the time being.

I had looked at it with IE6 and saw nothing but garbage. Recently upgraded to the IE7 and it started to add it to my system, but had no time to play with it, so abandoned the experiment for the time being.

RSS output is an XML type markup dump ... one needs a tool that uses that 'garbage' to then 'build' a displayed page .... However, just like plain old HTML, there are various 'standards' out there, and not all of them compatible with each other ..

RSS output is an XML type markup dump ... one needs a tool that uses that 'garbage' to then 'build' a displayed page .... However, just like plain old HTML, there are various 'standards' out there, and not all of them compatible with each other ..

Well IE7 openes a window with readable messages, though they were not the newest ones. Have not played beond that.

Just added it to the My Yahoo page by URL: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...rssout&id=1 but that is only showing [Resolved] Forum e-mail broken from 22 hours ago. This seems correct at showing only the announcements section and my settings there of only showing the last 2 days of messages.

Please note going into the Yahoo Add content and searching for spamcop finds the following: http://www.spamcop.it/rss.xml

Just added it to the My Yahoo page by URL: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...rssout&id=1 but that is only showing [Resolved] Forum e-mail broken from 22 hours ago. This seems correct at showing only the announcements section and my settings there of only showing the last 2 days of messages.

It looks like, at least in Firefox, that there are some HTML characters in the feed too. The latest message that shows up in the feed is "[Resolved] Forum e-mail broken by Wazoo" posted [at] Nov 19 2006, 10:54 AM.

I took this image at 10:16AM CST (GMT -6) 11/20/06.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2668/sp...orumrss1iv1.jpg

As you can see, the spaces are represented by the & nbsp characters, and as mentioned, it doesn't appear to have the latest posts in the feed.

It looks like, at least in Firefox, that there are some HTML characters in the feed too. .... I took this image at 10:16AM CST (GMT -6) 11/20/06.

As you can see, the spaces are represented by the & nbsp characters, and as mentioned, it doesn't appear to have the latest posts in the feed.

Actuallt, it's not 'all' spaces, it appears to be the &nbsp code bit added to the "[Resolved]" tag, which was added as a Moderator 'action' .. the space requested after te first few times it was used. Not seen in your browser, as it gets rendered as a 'space' ...

Yes, the Announcements section is the only forum section I added as a feed. At odds with setting this up at all is a situation described by Leo in one of the early Security Now! podcasts ... a little thing of a $100,000 ISP bill (number probably much exaggerated here, memory failing) when he moved the feed to a personal web-site. Problem stemmed from being so popular to begin with, but then noting that way too many folks (and defaults) in the RSS aggregators were set to rediculously short refresh times .. such that even the 'low-bandwidth text note' that there was nothing new was being requested, resent every 10-30 seconds to thousands upon thousands of users that "didn't want to miss a thing as soon as it happened" ....

On the other hand, the picture you took feeds into another issue that has come up ... I noticed it in the Wiki last night, I have a PM that matches part of what I'm also seeing on the Forum pages, yet .. your 'picture' shows the page as remembered for these last few years .... Just has to be some kind of character-set mismatch going on somewhere ....

Yes, the Announcements section is the only forum section I added as a feed. At odds with setting this up at all is a situation described by Leo in one of the early Security Now! podcasts ... a little thing of a $100,000 ISP bill (number probably much exaggerated here, memory failing) when he moved the feed to a personal web-site. Problem stemmed from being so popular to begin with, but then noting that way too many folks (and defaults) in the RSS aggregators were set to rediculously short refresh times .. such that even the 'low-bandwidth text note' that there was nothing new was being requested, resent every 10-30 seconds to thousands upon thousands of users that "didn't want to miss a thing as soon as it happened" ....

One solution to this might be to use a free service like FeedBurner which will host your RSS feed for you. I use it for my blog, and I have been very pleased with it. It has a lot of really cool features, such as adding custom features through it's FeedFlare option, that allows users automatically subscribe by email, add the links to bookmark services, technorati, and etc.

• 2 weeks later...
But .... does it work? Its been a long time since I set it up and no one ever commented on it ...???

Well I'm not sure, I don't think so. = So new at this toy I just watched it for a while to see what was what.

I'm using Firefox, loaded their RSS extension, and "linked" to the three forums I use that have RSS.

Each forum seems to run differently.

The Yahoo forum seems to report each new entry in the ticker tape soon after it is posted.

The CSE HTML validator forum also seems to work as expected.

spamcop discussion seemed to work at first then stopped adding notices to the TT.

I dumped spamcop and relinked to see if things will be different. Should report this new listing right?

Lou

Only the Calendar and Announcements are tagged at present. Calendar entries are extremely rare ... announcements not that often ... might it be that there was simply no 'new' content?

Adding the URL to the my.yahoo.com page does seem to work as expected. I currently have that set to show all messages. It was empty when I had my defaults of only the last 2 days (as expected).

Only the Calendar and Announcements are tagged at present.
That would explain the action. In which case, to answer your original question, things seem to be working as expected. thanks for the added info.

Learned something today so now can go back to bed.

Learned something today so now can go back to bed.

Have to say .. love that sentiment ....

just wish it wasn't so hard to keep up with so much at times <g> I kepp running into that 'need to learn more' so often these days ...

and the subject changes .... couple of days ago, I was explaining to a guy why just taking the reed vavle assembly out of the chain saw woudn't solce the problem. Last night, Dad called, wanting to know what I knew about refrigeration .. my typical answer "depends on your next question" .... so he sticks the phone into te freezer section of his refrigerator so I could here the noise ... started talking him through the fab typically hidden up in the freezer section used for the self-defrosting mode ... he determned that this was too complicated, so .. by the time I got down there, he had moved stuff inside the freezer section and the noise stopped. That there's a timing cycle involved was a moot point, he'd already 'fixed' the problem <g> ... so I came back home ... the next call was about 0300, when it "started making the noise again" and moving stuff around didn't fix it this time .... this morning started with a call from Florida, problem was a Yanaha that would run fine for about 40 miles, then the enfine would die ... wouldn't start again for about a half-hor, then might run for another 10-20 miles ... then another half-hour wait ..... problem, he'd found a neat place to store his rain-suit, which blocked all air-flow to the ignition box, leading to the electonic package overheating, turning itself off .. a half-hour or so off "cooling off" let the engine fire back up ...

Handle stuff like that, then get back to getting my behind kicked by this software tha's supposed to be "easy to maintain" <g>

Adding the URL to the my.yahoo.com page does seem to work as expected. I currently have that set to show all messages. It was empty when I had my defaults of only the last 2 days (as expected).

Wazoo: I just noticed that after adding the feed to the my yahoo page, in IE7, I am getting a privacy error trying to access http://forum.spamcop.net/favicon.ico, probably because the file is actually located at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/favicon.ico. Do I remember you asking about a bunch of attempts at that file found in the logs a while back????

P.S. Think I just found the reference I was referring to (http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t5311.html) though not exactly what I remembered the thread being about.

favicon.ico file copied over to the 'root' folder on this server ... one of those little things in the folder/directory setup is different. Thanks.

In reference to that older discussion, robots.txt file was added quite a while ago as yet another attempt to slow down the crashes caused by the swarms .... profile visibility to Guests is still off-limits.

Archived