Mailhost configuration problems

Hi,

I set up the new "mailhosts" configuration, but I'm having problems with it. I have spamcop set to retrieve my mail from another account. The test email worked, and after forwarding the message, I got a "success" e-mail. When I go to the "mailhosts" page, I see the entry for my other account set up. The problem is that the test e-mail appeared not to find all of the servers that get used along the way. This is what it found:

Hosts/Domains: utoronto.ca, bureau15.ns.utoronto.ca, smtp2.ns.utoronto.ca, bureau22.ns.utoronto.ca, bureau18.ns.utoronto.ca

Relaying IPs: 128.100.132.43, 128.100.132.51

The beureau##.ns.utoronto.ca servers are ok so far, but they're not the only ones. There are several others, such as bureau23, bureau24, etc. If I get any spam that goes through these instead, then when I try to report it, it treats my ISP as the source of the spam, which it is not.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I tried sending myself another configuration mail, and the sucecss message this time told me that it was "combined with your existing mailhost configuration", but in fact it was not. I looked at the message headers and saw that it went through bureau23 this time instead of bureau22; however, bureau23 did not get added to the list of "Hosts/Domains" above. It would be great if there was a way to allow users to manually add other servers to the list of trusted ones. In the meantime, could someone look into this? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks,

Alexander

I am wondering the same thing.

Before doing the mailhost configuration, I set two test mails (from Excite webmail), one to comcast.net and one to attbi.com. My accounts at both domains forward to SpamCop.

One test mail was forwarded through rwcrmxc16.comcast.net, and the other forwarded through rwcrmxc11.comcast.net.

Then I added Comcast to the mailhosts. It sent two test messages. One went through rwcrmxc11.comcast.net and the other went through sccrmxc13.comcast.net.

The mailhost page now has an entry for bigfoot.com, with Comcast mail servers. But it doesn't include rwcrmxc16.comcast.net. It doesn't even include rwcrmxc11, even through one of the test messages used that server!

I notice that every time I refresh the mailhost page, the domain lists change. I assume that it is because it is reacting to other user's submissions.

Now, I actually only get spam through my comcast address, but when I report that spam I'm thinking I want the parser to go past the comcast mail server and get to the address of the subscriber's machine. So does this mean I need to start inspecting every spam submission to see if it is trying to report rwcrmxc16 by mistake?

Successfully added the less active of my two working

accounts to Mailhosts.

Then tried the spam trap AT&T Worldnet account. The

test e-mails (tried several) did not make it. However

regular test messages sent to that account zip

straight through.

Doubled checked the AT&T settings to make sure their

filters are all disabled and the forwarding to

SpamCop is correct. All is well there.

What's up?

Hi,

I set up the new "mailhosts" configuration, but I'm having problems with it. I have spamcop set to retrieve my mail from another account. The test email worked, and after forwarding the message, I got a "success" e-mail. When I go to the "mailhosts" page, I see the entry for my other account set up. The problem is that the test e-mail appeared not to find all of the servers that get used along the way. This is what it found:

Hosts/Domains: utoronto.ca, bureau15.ns.utoronto.ca, smtp2.ns.utoronto.ca, bureau22.ns.utoronto.ca, bureau18.ns.utoronto.ca

Relaying IPs: 128.100.132.43, 128.100.132.51

The beureau##.ns.utoronto.ca servers are ok so far, but they're not the only ones. There are several others, such as bureau23, bureau24, etc. If I get any spam that goes through these instead, then when I try to report it, it treats my ISP as the source of the spam, which it is not.

Does it really? I've been told that it would not. If the system finds a set of servers (like it did for you) then other servers in the same domain at least should be automatically accepted.

I will tell you that, starting immediately, there's ZERO we can do without a tracking URL. If you report a spam and it wants to report to the wrong place, post a tracking URL here (actually, in the SpamCop Help forum) or email it.

The issue is that every single user has a different setup now. A parse for you will be different than a parse for someone else even with the exact same headers, since you have a different list of trusted relays. The tracking URL pulls all of that up automatically.

JT

Okay, this Mailhosts thing is making me crazy.

I have, for a variety of reasons, several email accounts. Most of them were verified and added to my mailhosts list.

However:

I cannot, no matter what I do, get my Bigfoot account verified. As it normally forwards to another account, I figured that was the problem, so I disabled forwarding so that the verification emails would go to the Bigfoot Webmail account, which they did. Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to reply to or forward the verification email which includes the complete header, so it is repeatedly rejected. This Bigfoot account is my main "anonymous" account which I've had for years and I really don't want to give it up.

All attempts to verify my Hotmail account appear to vanish into nothingness. I get the verification emails okay and go through the whole Complete Headers and Source thing to send the replies, so am certain that the entire headers are, in fact, being sent. However, I never get any kind of reply and Hotmail still doesn't appear as one of my Mailhosts. I assume there is some problem, but without any feedback, I am completely in the dark as to what to do.

I also have two other email accounts through two of my ISP's which keep getting bounced. Both are set up with spam filtering, both through (I think) the Postini system. The error emails mention a multiple level email system, so I figured the Postini thing was the problem. Therefore, I went to the Web Mail boxes to answer the verification emails. I chose the complete header option and sent the replies as attachments. Still no joy and still the same error messages. I've run out of ideas.

I also own two domains through Freeservers which have their own email systems. The verification emails to both were returned with full headers and as attachments and the domains appear in the Mailhost list, but flagged as having problems. Once again, lacking any feedback, I am unable to do whatever to correct whatever the problem or problems might be.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Here's a repeat of what I suggested back on 21 March ...

Please post these issues under the Topic http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=723 as that's where Julian wanted to see the repsonse.

When you do make that next post, I'll also repeat the same thoughts as expressed on your other issues in another Topic ... details are part of the solution, so they ought to be part of your questions.

I also own two domains ...... flagged as having problems .... lacking any feedback .....

Let me take a guess here ... you are expecting someone, anyone, to explain the exact solution to such a generic issue description?

... two other email accounts through two of my ISP's ...

and, of course, the solution to these accounts will be just as easy to come up with, as there aren't that many ISPs to choose from ...

Enough sarcasm, I suppose ... just failing to understand your complaints of "lack of feedback" based on your lack of providing details and in this case, not posting in the right spot to begin with ... for example, there's been plenty of feedback provided in your Alaska / Korea Topic, but the specific data needed to try to resolve your issue is still an unknown ....

Archived