To quick report, or not to quick report?

If I have time, I use the verbose reporting - you know, the one where you have to report each message in turn, and it takes ages - because I am under the impression that it catches more than the quick reporting.

But, I don't really know.

So, I thought I'd ask.

Is there a material difference between the reports produced by "report immediately and trash" and "queue for reporting"?

Why are FAQs now going in a forum, instead of in the Spamcop FAQ page?

I'm really confused about the Spamcop website at the best of times, but this seems barmy.

What you are observing is one step in what appears to be a transition from a FAQ System hosted on Julian's Servers (Faq-O-Matic) to one hosted on JT's Servers (one of many projects on JT's plate).

As an interim step, in order to streamline my postings (and other postings of the same information over and over), and because I was not allowed to write to Faq-O-Matic, I dreamed up and implemented the new Pinned FAQ Entry System. I am sorry for any confusion that I have caused in doing so.

It is my hope that these Entries will be incorporated into the new FAQ System.

Further to that, the FAQ doesn't really answer the question.

If, as is apparently happening, the VER system is being phased out in favour of webmail, what happens then? Do linked websites never get reported?

There were earlier predictions of doom for VER, which I repeated. However, the latest word from JT is that VER is staying put, with only fixes but no new development, and that Webmail is being customized to do what VER can currently do. Unless something goes horribly wrong, I expect the next steps in the development of Webmail to be duplication of the following VER capabilities: "Queue for reporting" Actions, Optional Display of From Email Address, and Optional Display of Reason Held.

I just updated the chart in "FAQ Entry: What is Quick Reporting?" at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=163 to reflect the new "Release" Links in Webmail.

Please note that "Release" works just like "Forward" in VER - if your mail is normally forwarded, the mail that is "Released" gets forwarded, and if your mail is normally sent to your SpamCop INBOX, then the mail that is "Released" gets sent to your SpamCop INBOX.

Also, please note that in Webmail the "Release and Whitelist" Link is using the Alt+N hotkey normally used by the unlabeled "Select All" checkbox under the "Delete" link, so you should use Alt+K to "Select All" while viewing your "Held Mail" Folder.

The "Queue for reporting" Action (and subsequent link reporting) can be duplicated from inside webmail by selecting the messages in the message list (not while viewing the message) and hitting the "Forward" link directly next to the "Report as spam" link. Then enter your submit.x address and send it.

I have bee using this method since JT first suggested using webmail for everything.

JeffG: Where did JT say that VER is staying put. I have not seen that message and have been posting the confusing (if this is true) information about it going away eventually.

Thanks... I missed that entire thread until the very end and the topic had changed by then.

I find if I don't get to read all unread messages before leaving, when I return, it marks all messages since my last visit as read. I try to return, but sometimes miss a few.

Archived