Web form says "Cannot Access IMAP mailbox"

Tommy

Over the last week or so, I have been clicking the "Held Email" tab http://www.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog and every once in awhile I get a red text saying "Cannot access IMAP mailbox ____[at]spamcop.net" (with my address in there). If I click the tab again, the held messages often show up, but when I select the contents and try to use the Release/Delete button, the web page comes back with nothing. Another click of the tab brings the same messages back, so they haven't even been processed.

Just digging briefly through the recent postings and the numerous (some lengthy!!) pinned topics I think it's POSSIBLE that I need to clean out the IMAP mail server. I have lots of messages, but I manually archive them every month into separate boxes, so there's never more than a few thousand in any box. Maybe it's time to start purging the older ones ...?

I'm mentioning it as a possibility, though I have NOT (yet) had trouble accessing the messages using webmail OR any of the IMAP clients I use. Only the Held Mail portion of the reporting screen.

You are bringing up a number of items ... involving the different sections of the SpamCop.net tool-set ... and thus bringing confusion to the world <g>

Using JT's e-mail server as your personal archive isn't really advisible for a number of reasons. For instance, although the 'maximum' storage threshold has not been invoked, folks doing this will surely end up causing that to happen. The service was put into place to faciltate the filtering and handling of your e-mail, not act as cold storage. Sure, your 'archiving into different folders" routine keeps your InBox size down, but .... when you log in, this system still has to 'retrieve, sort, handle, etc.' all of "your" e-mail ... work that should not be required, but also contributing to other users due to this system load. If you really need to 'archive' the stuff, drag it from the IMAP view of the SpamCop.net server to a folder that is sitting on your hard-drive (that is not located under the SpamCop.net listing in your e-mail client.)

As far as servers go, please take a real close look at your referenced login URL to your Help folder. Note the leading www.spamcop.net .... that takes one to the IronPort servers on the west coast U.S. California ... then the remainder of the URL is an 'action' to grab the contents of "your" Held folder contents from the east coast U.S. Georgia servers owned and run by JT. Now, if you back up a level in these forums and take a look at the recent issues brought up about the Parsing & Reporting System side of the house (west coast IronPort hardware) .. you might get a better handle on just where the problem with the Held Mail (VER) function is coming from. As a matter of fact, there has been some talk over the years about VER simply going away ....

Over the last week or so, I have been clicking the "Held Email" tab http://www.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog and every once in awhile I get a red text saying "Cannot access IMAP mailbox ____[at]spamcop.net" (with my address in there).

This has been the case every so often for me too. There are reports of heavy spam load affecting the parser but that shouldn't trouble the held mail folder.

My experience is that if you have problems with the held mail folder you can generally reach this spew via the webmail interface.

Andrew

You are bringing up a number of items ... involving the different sections of the SpamCop.net tool-set ... and thus bringing confusion to the world <g>

Surely I'm not BRINGING the confusion, but casting a cold, harsh light on it!

Note the leading www.spamcop.net .... that takes one to the IronPort servers on the west coast U.S. California ... then the remainder of the URL is an 'action' to grab the contents of "your" Held folder contents from the east coast U.S. Georgia servers owned and run by JT.

Well, of course they are spread out. The miracle of the Internet and all that. And since I'm in Arkansas I must be personally bridging the whole system together! :)

For several years I've been preparing to combine all my mail archives but I've been lazy. But it will happen soon, so when that happens I'll try to copy the files from the mail server at a non-peak time.

My experience is that if you have problems with the held mail folder you can generally reach this spew via the webmail interface.

Yes, in a pinch I have done that, but it's so much slower, and you don't get the option of doing a "full" parse and report.

Thanks for the validation that I'm not the only one seeing this ... I've been having web errors on one other site I use and I was beginning to wonder if it was my net connection or browser...

In addition to the "can not log into" problem, there is also a problem with adding user notifications: When one adds additional addresses the time to process the spam goes out of sight, and most of the time ending with "got sigalarm, taking too long to process, aborted.". Then the results page shows that all the default "checked off" addresses have indeed been sent and only the user entered addresses caused the time out. Whatever was done a few days ago is what caused this to happen, comments?

Whatever was done a few days ago is what caused this to happen, comments?

Perhaps define "a few days ago" ...???? Maybe it marries up to a recent update/upgrade of the parser codebase?

10 Oct 2006 - SpamCop v 1.600 Copyright ? 1998-2006

15 Nov 2006 - SpamCop v 1.603 Copyright ? 1998-2006

07 Dec 2006 - SpamCop v #612 Copyright © 1998-2006

As a matter of fact it was about that time, started on Tuesday I think...

I only use this function once or twice a day (at the most) but experienced this issue for the first time earlier today (6:30PM EST). A refresh got the correct information.

Yes, in a pinch I have done that, but it's so much slower, and you don't get the option of doing a "full" parse and report.

I actually find the webmail interface much quicker than the Held Mail tab of the reporting site. I usually quick report everything in the Held Mail folder by selecting and hitting the Report as spam link.

I used to also full report from the Webmail system by clicking the Forward link from the message list and simply entering my nickname for my submit address, which is submit ;) That stopped working some time ago when the webmail system started inserting blank lines between every line in the message. It was working in the beta system, btw. I now use the Held Mail tab of the reporting page for this now. I'm hoping JT is getting closer to gaining the courage to attempt the webmail upgrade again soon.

I actually find the webmail interface much quicker than the Held Mail tab of the reporting site. I usually quick report everything in the Held Mail folder by selecting and hitting the Report as spam link.

Wow... it's working MUCH faster than last time I tried... I just bumped up the number of messages displayed to give it a workout. (When I look the first time in the morning I usually have >100 held messages waiting to process.) It STILL works faster than the Held Mail form, and if you have message previews turned on in Horde it's faster to verify any questionable items.

Of course having previews means I LOOK at the previews of the spams which will, in practice, make it take longer.... but Horde DOES process them much faster than the web form. Thank you!

Someday maybe we can learn why a webmail server in GA can queue spam reports in CA faster than the reporting server in CA, but I figure it must be a code efficiency thing.

As a side note here, I too have never tried the Webmail reporting and it is indeed MUCH faster if you are using the quick report option, THANKS! However, there is no option to add user (Z) notifications :(

This morning the web interface for reporting is almost impossible to use, over 1 minute per email to report.

Lets do the math:

300 emails a day X 365 days = 109,500 emails X 1 minute = 109,900 minutes = 1825 hours = 76 days

I don't think so...

The problem appears to be in the query that checks for the existence of the devnull.spamcop.net function or something like that. The severe slowdown happens when a value is entered into the User Notification field. I have noticed that certain addresses are slower than others, for instance; sprint.net almost always times out (sigalrm). I have seen it complete the process (actually sent the user notifications) and still continue to timeout and end up in sigalrm, with the results showing that all emails have been sent; they are actually listed as such.

My question is: Is spamcop trying to discourage user-copied emails? Comments?

As a side note here, I too have never tried the Webmail reporting and it is indeed MUCH faster if you are using the quick report option, THANKS! However, there is no option to add user (Z) notifications :(

This morning the web interface for reporting is almost impossible to use, over 1 minute per email to report.

The problem appears to be in the query that checks for the existence of the devnull.spamcop.net function or something like that. The severe slowdown happens when a value is entered into the User Notification field. I have noticed that certain addresses are slower than others, for instance; sprint.net almost always times out (sigalrm). I have seen it complete the process (actually sent the user notifications) and still continue to timeout and end up in sigalrm, with the results showing that all emails have been sent; they are actually listed as such.

My question is: Is spamcop trying to discourage user-copied emails? Comments?

I doubt they are discouraging it, but either the code behind the web form is not keeping up with the load OR maybe it's reflecting the actual load better than Horde (webmail) is. I have never seen a quick report take a minute per message -- *I* certainly wouldn't wait around for 100 minutes, and the form seems to give up much sooner. The speed of manual reports does seem to vary a lot, regardless of what appears in the user notification field.

Here's my unscientific observation -- I have not seen a specific pattern to the sigalrms, but some combination and/or the system load and/or the phase of the moon ;-) makes the web form system very slow and/or fail to process. Horde webmail, however, is isolated from that process, so it seems to go its merry way regardless.

So Horde's queueing the messages a different way, and they may actually be processed slower -- in fact now that I'm using Horde to queue most spam reports, I am getting "Quick Reporting data" messages many hours later, whereas I the web reports rarely take more than a few minutes. So while the web form takes more of YOUR time, maybe the messages are getting in the queue faster.

For this purpose I think I'll go with the solution that takes less of MY time. :-)

And yes, it's a bigger hassle to do the individual reports from webmail, requiring many more mouse clicks to navigate from Horde into the web reporting system. For some reason the Horde-to-reporting-form jump ignores any existing cookies it puts up an extra login dialog, too.

Since I only do about one manually processed report per several hundred quick reports, it's not bad enough to dissuade me yet.

I doubt they are discouraging it, but either the code behind the web form is not keeping up with the load OR maybe it's reflecting the actual load better than Horde (webmail) is. I have never seen a quick report take a minute per message -- *I* certainly wouldn't wait around for 100 minutes, and the form seems to give up much sooner. The speed of manual reports does seem to vary a lot, regardless of what appears in the user notification field.

Here's my unscientific observation -- ~snip

Thanks Tommy

I'm still finding the time-out error on the "Held Email" portion of the reporting side of SCMail (http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog )

I've tried some different tests, but all time out:

- Select 1 message and chose "Delete" from the drop down

- Select 1 message and chose "Queue For Reporting and Move to Trash"

- Select 5 messages and chose "Queue For Reporting and Move to Trash"

- Select 1 message and chose Quick reporting

Since I see that most of the problems people had were over the weekend (Saturday) and the load is a lot lighter today, I wonder why I'm having such issues with the time out?

It seems now that I can submit messages for queue with no time out, but only if I pick 5-7 at a time. But, when I "Send spam Reports Now", it takes anywhere from 45 seconds to 1.5 minutes per message. Since the server status shows lower volume, why are my submission times so high?

I am getting those errors about cannot log onto imap mailserver since approx 12/7...

and it is taknig forever to load right now

can't duplicate fron here .... actually and really touching the imap.spamcop.net server. how about something to look at, perhaps something like;

12/19/06 09:41:25 Slow traceroute imap.spamcop.net

Trace imap.spamcop.net (216.154.195.50) ...

12.123.20.13 RTT: 45ms TTL: 80 (gar2-p370.attga.ip.att.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

12.117.136.42 RTT: 51ms TTL: 80 (No rDNS)

66.35.174.14 RTT: 54ms TTL: 80 (pos6-0.atlngapk22w.cr.deltacom.net ok)

66.35.174.102 RTT: 53ms TTL: 80 (pos3-0.suwangaeq00w.cr.deltacom.net ok)

66.35.174.122 RTT: 53ms TTL: 80 (suw02.gig1-0.edeltacom.com bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

216.154.207.13 RTT: 65ms TTL: 80 (suwC1-gig3-5.qualitytech.com bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

216.154.207.22 RTT: 54ms TTL: 80 (suwE1N-gig1-1-4.qualitytech.com bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

216.154.195.50 RTT: 61ms TTL: 49 (mail.cesmail.net ok)

you'd be looking for one of those wth an extremely long time involved ....

I'm intentionally ignoring the known issue with file size/content issues, as it is expected that you would have already seen / read the FAQ entries here, previous discussions about the same ....

If on the other hand, you are talking about the Held/VER interface, you need to specify, as that is a connection to one of the IronPort systems on the Parsing & Reporting side of the house, as stated above ....

I am getting those errors about cannot log onto imap mailserver since approx 12/7...

and it is taknig forever to load right now

and a refresh doesn't help

Spamcop has been under heavy load for the last few weeks which work with your timetable. The system you are using to view data stored on the east coast of the USA is actually located on servers on the west coast. You should be able to access the Held Mail folder through webmail which has been working as good as ever.

Looking at the graph at the top of the page, it seems spamcop reporting has been down hard since ~9:30AM EST. I am seeing the entire reporting site is having issues loading right now. It is quite probable they are working on the system which is what you are using to access the Held Mail folder.

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.65d76f40.1166546287.1b4f6e7

Which would go along with the white-space showing on the graphic/link provided at te top right of this Forum page ... I also posted a copy of Ellen's newsgroup post into the Announcements area "here" that mentioned some "network issues" ....

don't know what the held/ver is, but this is the url i am getting the errors; http://www.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog

Which is in fact identified in my Linear Post #2 in this very Topic. The www.spamcop.net is in fact the same system reglected in the graphic/link at the top right ... and the reason for that graphic/link existence is because when www.spamcop.net is down, you can't 'go there' to check the status .....

Which is in fact identified in my Linear Post #2 in this very Topic. The www.spamcop.net is in fact the same system reglected in the graphic/link at the top right ... and the reason for that graphic/link existence is because when www.spamcop.net is down, you can't 'go there' to check the status .....

What do you mean by "Linear Post #2"?

You mean this?

As far as servers go, please take a real close look at your referenced login URL to your Help folder. Note the leading www.spamcop.net .... that takes one to the IronPort servers on the west coast U.S. California ... then the remainder of the URL is an 'action' to grab the contents of "your" Held folder contents from the east coast U.S. Georgia servers owned and run by JT. Now, if you back up a level in these forums and take a look at the recent issues brought up about the Parsing & Reporting System side of the house (west coast IronPort hardware) .. you might get a better handle on just where the problem with the Held Mail (VER) function is coming from. As a matter of fact, there has been some talk over the years about VER simply going away ....

What is that supposed to mean, anyway? I'm having a problem with spamcop and you tell me about west coast and east coast and who owns what and then I'm supposed to back up a level...

Back up to where?

I don't want to get a handle on anything. That's not my job, is it? I have no idea what the problem is, I only know that there is a problem. I just want it resolved.

And, what do I care about some graphic? I'm not here because of some graphic, I'm here because I'm having a problem with spamcop. What does the graphic have to do with my problem? If it indicates that spamcop is down, well duh...

I don't have to look at a graphic to tell spamcop is down. What good does that graphic do, anyway? It doesn't really explain anything to me at all.

And, what does it matter who owns what? I'm having a problem with spamcop. I tried to report it, and couldn't find any email addresses, so I came here. I found someone posted a similar problem, and I concurred. I'm having a problem with spamcop.

Is it too much to ask to have it resolved?

Why must the 'answer' be so obtuse?

When will it be fixed? That's what I'd like to know...

I'm still getting "Cannot log into IMAP mailserver as *****[at]spamcop.net"

Is it too much to ask to have it resolved?

Why must the 'answer' be so obtuse?

When will it be fixed? That's what I'd like to know...

I'm still getting "Cannot log into IMAP mailserver as *****[at]spamcop.net"

It is not too much to ask, but you need to ask in the correct place. This is a user forum. No admins here to do anything about the site being down. The official answer if you are having problems with the site is to turn off your computer, grab your favorite refreshment, and lie down on the couch.

We have pointed out that spamcop is having issues. We have told you how you could have confirmed this yourself. That is the extent we can do anything for you. We have explained how you can access your Held Mail by accessing the webmail system directly, rather that through a kind of 3rd party (the spamcop reporting site).

P.S. I am not seeing the issue you describe when the system is up and running. Have you tried connecting with IMAP from your client machine to see if it is your account with the issue?

It is not too much to ask, but you need to ask in the correct place. This is a user forum. No admins here to do anything about the site being down. The official answer if you are having problems with the site is to turn off your computer, grab your favorite refreshment, and lie down on the couch.

I can do that.

We have pointed out that spamcop is having issues. We have told you how you could have confirmed this yourself. That is the extent we can do anything for you. We have explained how you can access your Held Mail by accessing the webmail system directly, rather that through a kind of 3rd party (the spamcop reporting site).

spamcop reporting is a 3rd-party site for spamcop?

wow, that's as clear as mud.

:huh:

P.S. I am not seeing the issue you describe when the system is up and running. Have you tried connecting with IMAP from your client machine to see if it is your account with the issue?

ok, well, duh...

i don't see it either when the site is up and running

;-)

and, yeah, it's just me and my machine. oh, yeah, also tommy and agsteele and possibly navybuff and btech as well.

you know, that just sounds like a canned response one would expect from a call to tier 1 tech support. So, what company do you do tech support for? ;-)

Stephen, I'm going to take your advice. I have a good supply of my favorite beverage and I am going to relax and enjoy some of it, maybe even quite a bit of it. And, if you're in the area, stop by and I'll pour you a glass.

Pat, up the road and a couple of lefts from you in Danvers...

...just far enough from the recent explosion.

Say 'Hi' to Dogbert for me!

I have actually had the same problem getting into IMAP for about 1 hour (it's 3:39 PST). I had no problems earlier in the day.

Archived