Web form says "Cannot Access IMAP mailbox"

Tommy

spamcop reporting is a 3rd-party site for spamcop?

The spamcop reporting site is "kind of" third party way to access your Held Mail folder since as we tried to explain, the mail server and webmail server are both owned by JT and are located on the east coast but the reporting site is owned by IronPort and located on the west coast.

Why you would connect to a west coast server to access east coast data is what is confusing me. I only access it that way when I want to do other than my standard reporting (for me, that is full reporting) and that is only because the forward link in webmail has stopped working some time ago.

You can report your spam from webmail by selecting the messages and hitting the "Report as spam" link.

P.S. Glad you avoided the explosion.

spamcop reporting is a 3rd-party site for spamcop?

wow, that's as clear as mud.

Your interpretaion of the data provided from the link provided at either the bold lettered entry titled;

Start Here - before you make your first Post

Introduction to SpamCop.net services, tools, and support

or the updated version at What is SpamCop.net?

is what exactly? Granted that these pages don't go into details about the location, ownership, etc. of the bits and pieces, but .... that they are in fact different "parts" is made very clear.

Perhaps a try at Why are there so many different account names/passwords needed?

As I noted, a 'direct' IMAP connection to JT's servers worked just fine. The action of trying to 'login' to IronPort's systems to do the back-grab to the e-mail servers on the other coast involves the same servers that are being complained about in this Forum section, the Reporting Help Forum section, the Lounge Forum section, the newsgroups, on and on .... Complain all you want, but ... not sure why reading skills/comprehension has to be brought into the discussion. Data is all over the place.

"Back up a level in this Forum" .... what's so hard to figure that put? Yu are posting / reading in the section;

SpamCop Discussion > Discussions & Observations > SpamCop Email System & Accounts

The suggestion was to back up a level, such that you would be looking at;

SpamCop Discussion > Discussions & Observations

which would list all of the Forum sections, to include the Announcements section ....

and, yeah, it's just me and my machine. oh, yeah, also tommy and agsteele and possibly navybuff and btech as well.

you know, that just sounds like a canned response one would expect from a call to tier 1 tech support. So, what company do you do tech support for? ;-)

??? You are talking to other users .. another tidbit that I've plastered all over the place. Just how are you missing all this extra stuff?

I am not seeing the issue you describe when the system is up and running. Have you tried connecting with IMAP from your client machine to see if it is your account with the issue?

Hi Steven!

FWIW, I'm seeing this 'can't login to IMAP' issue on and off throughout the day. It doesn't seem to relate to whether the server is up or down and I'm assuming load is an issue (or perhaps bandwidth). Obviously, as you noted, retrieving data from thousands of miles away to populate the held mail report is inefficient. If the bandwidth on the west coast is fully consumed with reports then that may explain the difficulty the held mail report has in authenticating the user.

The held mail report in VER is proving very flakey for me. But I just enjoy another beverage. :D

Andrew

How about this?

Hit the Held Mail tab/link .. see if you get the same error

If so, try hitting the link http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog and see if it comes up directly

If yes, then we're are definitely back to that the IronPort systems aren't successfully talking to JT's systems.

If no, then we're back to the questions about the contents of 'your' Held (and other) folders.

How about this?

Hit the Held Mail tab/link .. see if you get the same error

OK, i got a slightly different error;

Cannot log into IMAP mailserver as with nothing after that at all!

If so, try hitting the link http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog and see if it comes up directly

It comes up directly.

If yes, then we're are definitely back to that the IronPort systems aren't successfully talking to JT's systems.

If no, then we're back to the questions about the contents of 'your' Held (and other) folders.

So, then I guess this begs the question;

How do I report this to Ironport?

Which then begs the question;

Should I even bother?

<snip>

• Hit "SpamCop FAQ" link (near top left side of nearly all SpamCop Forum pages)
  • Search for FAQ entry labeled "How can I contact a SpamCop representative?" and click on the link.
  • Find an appropriate contact link or fill in the box near the "Reason for contact" button and then click the button.

Good luck!

Should I even bother?

...Sorry, can't help you with that question, that's up to you and IronPort/SpamCop staff.

Should I even bother?

Yet again, why are you trying to make this a "reading comprehension" exercise?

As I suggested, you appear to have agreed that the issue is the two separate systems communicating.

Yet, if one looks at the graphic/link provided on these pages, one can easily see that one of those systems is having some real issues. Those issues are in fact addressed by a posting in the Announcements section .. basically, IronPort engineers are trying to sort it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had trouble for days now and I just happened to check the thread...

Yet again, why are you trying to make this a "reading comprehension" exercise?

my apologies for a little off topic comment

[rant] I would like to express COMPLETE sympathy for PandA here... the spamcop systems are complicated. It takes some commitment to get things set up and operator-trained. It took me months to figure things out and only because I've been here for quite a few years can I see things from the "somewhat experienced" side.

Unfortunately the folks who lurk the forums daily are so long "over the hump" they may not see the mess anymore. They may no longer notice that there are six gazillion lengthy "pinned" items throughout the forums, saying the equivalent of "read this first" or "before you ask a stupid question..."

SO I'm not saying we shouldn't help the newbie join the ranks of the cognoscenti -- BUT who is addressing WHY she or he had trouble finding the way in the first place? Who is looking at user issues?

How can we straighten up the mess a little to make it friendlier to guests? We don't want them tripping over the hassock every time they step into the living room.[/rant]

SO I'm not saying we shouldn't help the newbie join the ranks of the cognoscenti -- BUT who is addressing WHY she or he had trouble finding the way in the first place? Who is looking at user issues?

In the past, everytime I have asked that exact question ..."what is needed such that 'you' would have found the answer?" ..... I have received the torrent of "you called me stupid" responses .....

How can we straighten up the mess a little to make it friendlier to guests? We don't want them tripping over the hassock every time they step into the living room.[/rant]

One step, get involved and help populate the Wiki ....

Folks don't seem to like the 'Official FAQ"

Folks don't care for the single-page-access-expanded version

Folks no longer have access to three other FAQ versions that I had put into place over the years

The Wiki is just the latest alternative form of the/a FAQ, but participation in making it fully usable/functional is woefully lacking in participating people ...

In the same line, get involved and write-up & post those "simple" FAQ entries in the FAQ Development Forum section .. that's why it's there ....

Your complaint about "thousands of Pinned items" is offset by a huge margin by the continued "I can't find it" posts.

The Wiki is just the latest alternative form of the/a FAQ, but participation in making it fully usable/functional is woefully lacking in participating people ...

In the same line, get involved and write-up & post those "simple" FAQ entries in the FAQ Development Forum section .. that's why it's there ....

Your complaint about "thousands of Pinned items" is offset by a huge margin by the continued "I can't find it" posts.

I actually said "six gazillion" pinned items ;) but you've got to admit there are a lot of them. Some are VERY long. If you get a few minutes sometime maybe estimate the time it takes to dig through them. I was away from the forums (fora?) for six months and there were a shocking number, and one item told me to read them all before posting.

But if I get a chance I will look at the wiki. (I'm not used to looking there, especially since I tend to come here for service issues, which aren't likely to be in the Wiki.)

However, notice that if you go through the "ordinary" SpamCop interface, the first place it takes you is the "ancient" help -- NOT the Wiki or the Forums or anything changeable.

So to get back to my tired metaphor, we can't move the hassock in the doorway -- we can only help (or berate) the person after they've tripped over it.

However, notice that if you go through the "ordinary" SpamCop interface, the first place it takes you is the "ancient" help -- NOT the Wiki or the Forums or anything changeable.

Your word 'ancient' .... the word used by the paid-staff is 'Official'

All the other versions/forms seen 'here' were my attempts at trying to work around the issues with the 'Official FAQ' ....

Archived