Wish list for filtering

caryh

As the spammers get trickier, and the filters leaker, it would be nice to have....

A few more block lists to choose from. There are better dynamic address DNSBLs out there than just sorbs. The dnsbl lists I'd like to see considered as options

uceprotect.net

tqmcube.com

Spamhaus' new Zen might be nice when it comes on line to.

The blackholes lists are a little dated. Why just those few countries? To be effective today you'd need a lot more dynamic ranges. Like blocking Italy when they got bad, or recently Poland.

nigeria, argentina, brazil just don't cover the spam sewer countries that the zombie nets are operating from. And when one gets blocked enough, they're just jumping to the next. Maybe it would be better to give people the option to block based on parts of the world they do not email based on the official IP registry from that part of the world. Say block ripe, arin, afrinic, apnic or lacnic. In any case I would like to see the DNSBL options reviewed.

An option to not accept email from providers that refuse munged reports. If they just want to listwash me, or just hand my name over to a spammer, then I don't want email from their space. For some strange reason I never get an email that is not spam from those providers. I wonder why?

The ability to add IP ranges to my blacklist. With and import and export features to maintain it.

A few options filtering options than just contains or doesn't contain. Ends with, starts with and maybe regex expressions!

Well I know everything added takes CPU power and complexity. Plus the time to change it and debug it. Still I thought I'd voice an opinion on some things I'd like to see that could make this a better service.

As the spammers get trickier, and the filters leaker, it would be nice to have....

Could you please define the "leakier filters". Perhaps it is just my spammers, but if I get 3 spams past the spamcop filters in a week, it is a bad one.

All of these suggestions are good and have been made before. Making them here in the past has not helped. Perhaps forwarding the link to your request to JT, the owner/administrator of the email service will get a better response. Keep in mind that a planned upgrade of the current webmail application has been attempted and undone twice because of major problems. Last I knew, that was still his primary background project (support being the obvious forground operaton)..

• 9 months later...

Just dug this request up from 10 months ago...the OP points out that the current SC Email filtering blacklist options could use some updating, including the addition/substitution of the "Zen" list, so I'm giving this a little "kick."

A few more block lists to choose from. There are better dynamic address DNSBLs out there than just sorbs. The dnsbl lists I'd like to see considered as options

uceprotect.net

tqmcube.com

Spamhaus' new Zen might be nice when it comes on line to.

The blackholes lists are a little dated. Why just those few countries? To be effective today you'd need a lot more dynamic ranges. Like blocking Italy when they got bad, or recently Poland.

nigeria, argentina, brazil just don't cover the spam sewer countries that the zombie nets are operating from. And when one gets blocked enough, they're just jumping to the next. Maybe it would be better to give people the option to block based on parts of the world they do not email based on the official IP registry from that part of the world. Say block ripe, arin, afrinic, apnic or lacnic. In any case I would like to see the DNSBL options reviewed.

DT

on edit: while I was busy kicking this to the top, it seems that Trevor was posting some good news in the SC Email forum on this topic...look at this post:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=60529

:D

Archived