[Resolved] SLLLOOOOWWWW response both reporting spam and sending reports

dedobias

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its been extremely slow for me for several weeks now.
Needless to say my celebrations were premature. Back on the case Rooster, please. Seriously, we can only hope the occasional flashes of real performance improvement are an indication that the engineers might be closing in on solutions.

[And, not to put too fine a point upon it - nor to be thought of as sweeping anything under the carpet - Chadi's post was made to reporting service sllloooooooowww, which was started 6 months ago. Some will be thinking that's a long time to wait for action - if so, note it has not been suggested "here" that performance has been low for all/most of that time.]

It certainly goes back towards six months ago from my experience as that's roughly about when I gave up reporting because of the lengthy delays on the webform.

It also seems to roughly coincide with a more than doubling of my received spam volume. I suspect the two are not unrelated. Lots of other systems, (esp. mail systems), seem to me to be creaking under the present appalling spam volumes.

It's going fast this morning but I still see failures of postini filtered e-mail... Hope I won't jynx it...

WOOOOHOOOOO Smokin today 8-13 secons sending spam and 1-2 secs sending reports If this holds - vunderbagh. Thanks for contacting them!!!!!!

Also just done a test batch of ten webform reports and things soooo much improved with parsing returns between 10 & 20 seconds and smtp submission return in 2-5 seconds.

Great if it it stays like this, (thanks for that!), although I'd still like to see parsing returns consistently less than 10 seconds.

well its still so slow....

we almost reach the point that using spamcop is getting useless.

amazing...the spam costs billions a year and we have to rely on spamcop with a sh**ty submission speed.

any other parties that do the same as spamcop ?

maybe its time to just drop it.

<snip>

any other parties that do the same as spamcop ?

...None of which I know.
maybe its time to just drop it.
...Nope, it's working fine for me and I'm in no great hurry. I just submit my spam via e-mail, wait for the confirmation, then log into the web site, review and submit.

Who contatcted the deputies the last time. It's back to painfully slow and staying there.
...That was rooster (53180[/snapback]). However:
  • from what rooster conveyed vis-a-vis the response from Don D'Minion, it was not rooster's contact per se that got things moving again
  • anyone can contact the SpamCop Deputies (deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net) and/or Don (service[at]admin.spamcop.net), so there's no reason to wait for rooster to make contact again

My guess (and it's only a guess, not even an educated one) is that they're aware of these slowdowns and just don't know what to do about them (yet).

...That was rooster (53180[/snapback]). However:

• from what rooster conveyed vis-a-vis the response from Don D'Minion, it was not rooster's contact per se that got things moving again
  • anyone can contact the SpamCop Deputies (deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net) and/or Don (service[at]admin.spamcop.net), so there's no reason to wait for rooster to make contact again

My guess (and it's only a guess, not even an educated one) is that they're aware of these slowdowns and just don't know what to do about them (yet).

Thanks for the info. I did send a message yesterday. It's back to blazing fast again today. We'll see if it holds

That's one way to look at it, however just in from Ellen
... We *are* aware of system performance issues and engineering and operations are both monitoring and working on the issues. Externally -- i.e. in terms of what the end user sees (which by the way include Don, Richard and I) such as "the system is slow" or "I keep getting akamai timeouts"; the symptoms may look similar but internally, in terms of the hardware and software processes, the causes of the problems are varied. That said, while it may not be obvious, there are constant changes to both hardware and software to resolve the issues. The system is quite complex and so identification of problem areas and resolutions are not immediate. There are incremental improvements which can be measured internally although they may not or will not be obvious externally at this point.

So unfortunately I cannot say it will be fixed on such and thus a date for these kinds of problems. I can only say please hang in there and submit and process as much spam as makes sense for however long you can afford to spend on spam processing. While we want everyone to submit every bit of spam that they receive, obviously the amount of time any one person can spend on doing this is limited.

To paraphrase, thanks to all those who are "soldiering on" through the pain - it is appreciated, the need for some to drop part of their reporting is understood and SC definitely wants to improve things for them. The Deputies have exactly the same experience only they can't turn away from it - so the issue is under constant scruitiny and engineering and operating solutions are being applied all the time to ameliorate what would be more severely and constantly degraded performance otherwise.

I'm one of the ones who was soldering on [engineers joke...] but gave up virtually completely about six months ago. I just tried the webform again but you can measure the report submission delay with a calendar rather than a clock.... I'll keep trying it from time to time, but it's no use to me unless it is consistently returning in less than 5 seconds.

.... I'll keep trying it from time to time, but it's no use to me unless it is consistently returning in less than 5 seconds.
Yeah, that's about all you can do bobbear. There are times when it would meet your criterion but consistently? - not yet. Please do keep checking, maybe try a limited number when you can.

I'm evidently not quite as time constrained (lesser volumes probably) - I email batches of 4 or more and do the confirmation & report sending when I can. Smaller batches or any not tagged by NAS (which my provider seems not to like forwarding) I paste in at the webpage. Sometimes the report-sending phase is quick, sometimes it is not (which means always demoting the submitted batches to the "deleted" folder so they don't get mixed with possible "fresh" incoming - a factor with Mozilla sorting on claimed sending time so new arrivals can be all over the place). On the whole I seldom have problems - mostly just the occasional batch or part batch needing cancellation due to my delay in getting through them to complete the reporting. If it was a problem I would consider quick reporting since my mailhosts have been behaving well so far.

Engineering reports that they put a new release into production today that includes a major change in the way read-only lookups are handled. They say it appears to have had a very positive effect.

Things seem better to me, and I'm hoping that the change will translate into better response times for you all.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

service[at]admin.spamcop.net

http://www.spamcop.net/

Archived