No reports filed

bil

I use quick reporting by forwarding spam, but I've noticed that when I "view recent reports" many are listed as "No reports filed." Since there isn't a link from those, I can't see why a report wasn't sent. If I report the same spam via the web, it gets reported without issue.

So does anyone know why submitting the spam via email fails but when submitting the same email via the web works?

I'm using Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 with the Okopipi extension to report spam, using the Quick option.

Thanks,

- Bil

I use quick reporting by forwarding spam, but I've noticed that when I "view recent reports" many are listed as "No reports filed." Since there isn't a link from those, I can't see why a report wasn't sent. If I report the same spam via the web, it gets reported without issue.

So does anyone know why submitting the spam via email fails but when submitting the same email via the web works?

I'm using Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 with the Okopipi extension to report spam, using the Quick option.

Thanks,

- Bil

One possibility is you are submitting to the submit.x address but not finishing the process by going to the reporting account and actually sending the reports? Most of the time (as long as your ISP is not blocking them) you will get a response from SpamCop telling you when your submitted spam is ready to process. The subject of that message is: [spamCop] has accepted [x] email for processing

Log into www.spamcop.net and see if you have a link telling you that you have messages to report.

Hi Bil, there was a discussion about this a while back where a user was quick reporting in batches (3 or 4 spams per submission email) and sometimes the last few did not process. As you said, there is no tracking URL to look at since there is no report generated, so troubleshooting is going to be pretty much impossible for anyone here. My suggestion would be to send an email to deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net and see if they can find anything for you.

Hi Bil!

How soon after submitting the reports are you checking? The Quick Report process is somewhat slower than the web based process. The time taken is not significant in the overall scheme but I've known it take up to two hours for an item reported via the quick method to complete its passage and appear in the list of past reports.

Andrew

Hi Bil, there was a discussion about this a while back where a user was quick reporting in batches (3 or 4 spams per submission email) and sometimes the last few did not process. As you said, there is no tracking URL to look at since there is no report generated, so troubleshooting is going to be pretty much impossible for anyone here. My suggestion would be to send an email to deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net and see if they can find anything for you.

Thanks, I think that's my issue. It works if I send one, but it appears to fail if more than one are batched together. I'll use your suggestion and go from there, thanks.

How soon after submitting the reports are you checking? The Quick Report process is somewhat slower than the web based process. The time taken is not significant in the overall scheme but I've known it take up to two hours for an item reported via the quick method to complete its passage and appear in the list of past reports.

Ah, perhaps that's it. I now see reports that hadn't been sent are now suddenly sent. I guess I wasn't waiting long enough for them to be processed.

Thanks all.

- Bil

... The Quick Report process is somewhat slower than the web based process. The time taken is not significant in the overall scheme but I've known it take up to two hours for an item reported via the quick method to complete its passage and appear in the list of past reports. ...
Thanks Andrew, good information and a timely reminder that QR is subject to more or less the same systemic delays as "standard" emailed submissions. Expectations tend to be a bit higher (must be the "quick" descriptor) but, as you have said, process completion time is not a big factor in these batch submissions which do not require further intervention to complete. All obvious when someone points it out but I for one hadn't really taken it on board before.

Archived