rcn webmail drops headers

slangist

have been reporting spam to spamcop from rcn webmail for a year. last month or so, spamcop returns "no headers found." far as i can tell i haven't changed anything. searched spamcop FAQ for "rcn," issue not covered. anybody have any insights? thanks.

"he not busy being born is busy dying." --the prophet zimmerman

have been reporting spam to spamcop from rcn webmail for a year. last month or so, spamcop returns "no headers found." far as i can tell i haven't changed anything. searched spamcop FAQ for "rcn," issue not covered. anybody have any insights? thanks.

If you could provide us with a TrackingURL, we might be able to see what is happening. It is possible RCN changed their application (update???) that is causing this issue.

If you could provide us with a TrackingURL, we might be able to see what is happening. It is possible RCN changed their application (update???) that is causing this issue.

doesn't seem to give me a trackng number because it doesn't go that far into the spamcop system. here's the headers from the spamcop reject message:

Date:Tue 30 Jan 13:26:11 EST 2007

From:SpamCop robot <spamcop[at]devnull.spamcop.net>Add To Address Book|This is spam

Subject:Spamcop account configuration: error

To:jmung[at]mung.com

Hello SpamCop user,

Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:

Headers not found.

It appears you did not provide all email headers. Please consult this FAQ

for more information on getting full headers from your software, then try

again.

<http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html>

Please do not respond to this email (replies are ignored). If you need

help, please consult the SpamCop website ( <http://www.spamcop.net/> ).

This email was sent in response to your email:

Return-Path: <HANNANSHAW6726[at]aol.com>

Received: from mr09.lnh.mail.rcn.net (EHLO mr09.lnh.mail.rcn.net) ([207.172.157.29])

by ms03.lnh.mail.rcn.net (MOS 3.7.5a-GA FastPath queued)

with ESMTP id CFE49072;

Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:47:46 -0500 (EST)

Received: from mx03.lnh.mail.rcn.net (mx03.lnh.mail.rcn.net [207.172.157.53])

by mr09.lnh.mail.rcn.net (MOS 3.7.5a-GA)

with ESMTP id FXW11623;

Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:47:41 -0500 (EST)

Received: from cspf.us4.outblaze.com ([205.158.62.117])

by mx03.lnh.mail.rcn.net with ESMTP; 30 Jan 2007 12:46:29 -0500

Received: from spf14.us4.outblaze.com (unknown [192.168.8.138])

by cspf.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6FA321B4793

for <jmung[at]mung.com>; Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:45:59 +0000 (GMT)

Received: from imo-m24.mx.aol.com (imo-m24.mx.aol.com [64.12.137.5])

by spf14.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 14B83BDCD2

for <jamung[at]mung.com>; Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:45:28 +0000 (GMT)

Received: from HANNANSHAW6726[at]aol.com

by imo-m24.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v38_r7.6.) id r.cfd.7e5d274 (48380);

Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:45:24 -0500 (EST)

Received: from ifWkoh.com (service66.11.123-74.suavemente.net [66.11.123.74]) by ciaaol-r05.mx.aol.com (v114_r2.4) with ESMTP id MAILCIAAOLR056-bcfc45bf842816d; Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:45:23 -0500

Cc: jamung[at]mung.com, jamie00lynn[at]yahoo.com, jamie0192[at]msn.com,

jamie1126[at]aol.com, jamie1262000[at]yahoo.com, jamie1423[at]msn.com,

jamie1807[at]aol.com

X-Mailer: %X_AOL_MAILER

Subject: CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR FREE MEMBERSHIP TO Adult Film Star now!!!

X-AOL-IP: 66.11.123.74

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:45:23 EST

Message-ID: <cfd.7e5d274.32f0de33[at]aol.com>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

X-spam-Flag: NO

X-Junkmail-Status: score=10/50, host=mr09.lnh.mail.rcn.net

X-Junkmail-SD-Raw: score=unknown,

refid=str=0001.0A090206.45BF84C1.0077:SCFMA772050,ss=1,fgs=0,

ip=205.158.62.117,

so=2006-05-09 23:27:51,

dmn=5.2.125/2006-10-10

<snip>

doesn't seem to give me a trackng number because it doesn't go that far into the spamcop system. here's the headers from the spamcop reject message:

Perhaps someone who does not have mailhosts configured can massage those headers to see if it parses. This application removed the whitespace from your post so just copying into the parser will not work. Also a blank line and a "body" of some sort will need to be added.

I do not have that capability at this time.

Perhaps someone who does not have mailhosts configured can massage those headers to see if it parses. This application removed the whitespace from your post so just copying into the parser will not work. Also a blank line and a "body" of some sort will need to be added.

I do not have that capability at this time.

here's the tracking id for a more recent attempt. this was not through netmail however, but through email forwarding. this too failed, though i had it set on "show all headers." what does work is "show original" and copying it by hand into the spamcop reporting window. but i would like to go back to being able to forward from my main email as i can from yahoo.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1209626868z1...33664ee320ed04z

Posted sample .... simply too screwed up to expend any effort at trying to troubeshoot. Issue is whitespace and wrapping issues. Specifics ... a couple of lines show the appropriate wrapping and leading whitespace on wraped lines, but others do not. Nothing stated would explain the whys and wherefores of how this data got scewed up.

Tracking URL sample .... appears to have been "forwarded in-line" ... based on the leading ">" characters. This will not work.

Based on the fact that you "know" what a correct submittal needs to look like, include yourself as a CC: in your next submittal or two and see what you need to do to 'fix' those submittals.

You have not mentioned your e-mail client for some reason, so just mentioning the oft-repeated phrase "forward as attachment" if it applies.

here's the tracking id for a more recent attempt. this was not through netmail however, but through email forwarding. this too failed, though i had it set on "show all headers." what does work is "show original" and copying it by hand into the spamcop reporting window. but i would like to go back to being able to forward from my main email as i can from yahoo.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1209626868z1...33664ee320ed04z

Thanks for that - same problem as your pasted-in example (not to mention that it is also "quoted"), whitespace has been removed therefore the indented line continuations are lost - ref: What do you mean by "full headers"?. Something in your submission process has changed - maybe a configuration matter and/or an update to the webmail application? (as StevenUnderwood suggested).

Now would be a good time for any other RCN webmail user(s) to step forward - or see if you can see anything in the help sections of the RCN site. I notice the default message "compose width" for webmail is 62 characters. If that applies to forwarded attachments and if there's an "unlimited" or "no line wrap" setting in the preferences then changing to that would fix it. Failing which, contact RCN for tech support via their contact page Contact RCN, perhaps quoting your topic "here" as a way to save electrons in involved explanations - http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7862 - and if you could report back with whatever you find out, that would be good.

That's the header - an error would also be generated over no message body (with the somewhat misleading message "Error, couldn't parse head" and which is a quite different matter). IIRC the spamsource is still parsed, not sure if a report is generated in such a case but I think it is. If you're happy to concentrate on feeding the SCBL and sending reports to spam originators' admins then that would be enough.

Perhaps someone who does not have mailhosts configured can massage those headers to see if it parses.
First chance I've had - http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1209983636zb...0cd46538d68376z - um, I have little idea what we're looking at here but yes, it does parse if the headers are in something approaching the original form (whitespace intact).
...IIRC the spamsource is still parsed, not sure if a report is generated in such a case but I think it is. ...
And, yes it parses without a body but no, there is no offer to send a report - there needs to be a body to get to that step. IIUC the OP has no problem with the body (merely snipped from the initial posting).

Archived